Hair Transplant & Short Term Disability

JoeFromFrisco

Hello everyone,

I had a HT and was told I can file for STD throughly my employer. I took a month and half off due to healing and the fact that I can’t wear hats at work. I went through the process with UNUM and they denied my claim. 
I thought in the state of California non elective surgeries were covered?

I read somewhere that Unum is notorious for denying claims to save the companies money.

Should I fight this or let it go?

Cheers. 

Male Pattern Baldness is not a disability. Therefore, it makes sense your HT would not be covered. 

Your HR department is responsible for knowing this, but a little common sense goes a long way. 

I suppose if you really wanted to you could go after the HR lady and try to make the company pay what would have been your STD funds. 

But you'd likely hurt your reputation at work, and may be out of a job.

I doubt you have any recourse with UNUM or whatever the California disability service is. 

Edited by HappyMan2021
  • Like 1

I don't live in California but this sounds like something they would provide disability for. Any other state and I'd say no. At least from a far, California seems to have a reputation of being more open to providing services for stuff like this.(Not saying it in a joking way)

Do you work for the state? Not sure what UNUM is but guessing it's some disability insurance? 

However, I don't think I'd pursue it too far as stated above, it might be detrimental to your job. 

Did it take 1.5 months to find out that you were denied? 

• Thanks 1

I guess I need to dig a bit deeper on this. If California covers a sex change, I am sure they cover something small like this.
I could of gone back to work a week after and half the surgery but since I can’t wear hats and I work around medical equipment, I didn’t want to risk getting an infection or hitting my head. 
I know I qualify for SDI through the state of California but wondering about my job. 

1 hour ago, JoeFromFrisco said:

I know I qualify for SDI through the state of California but wondering about my job. 

how do you know you qualify for SDI? Maybe I am missing something but this seems very clear cut and black and white to me. Male Pattern Baldness is not considered a disability, so not sure why you think you'd get benefits. 

This is what I found if you are transgender 

"If you have a serious medical condition related to your transgender status, you may be entitled to up to 12 weeks of job-protected unpaid leave under the federal Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and the California Family Rights Act (CFRA). You could qualify for leave time under FMLA and CFRA if you need surgery for a sex change operation or are off work for three consecutive days or more and are seeking continuing treatment, including counseling and hormone replacement therapy."

Where is the law saying MPB gets FMLA and time off? It's pretty black and white. 

What do you do for work? Are you client facing? I'm not sure what the issue is with going to work. Perhaps there is a valid concern, but unless you say what you actually do its hard to give more advice.