Dr. Bicer | March 2022 | 3120 grafts

mark2137

Hi All :)

So, I finally did it. Here is my initial thread with all pre-surgery details: https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/61039-dr-bicerdr-demirsoy-3000-3500-grafts

I am now 12 days after my surgery and everything seems ok. I will update this topic every month with new photos but also ask and answer questions.

A quick summary of everything before day 0: I am very happy with being in touch with both Dr. Bicer and Özen. All questions were answered and I felt safe all the time. I also appreciate how much time Dr. Bicer spent drawing my hairline. Of course, I’m not an expert and just cannot evaluate each and every step but this particular thing seemed important even in my eyes.

The big day: well, everything was described in detail in many other threads and I feel I don’t have anything to add regarding the procedure itself. Mostly because I was sleeping during the surgery :) Later, I felt a bit off but I wasn’t in pain, I could sleep all night.

Grafts:

1050 singles,
1650 doubles,
420 multiple.
Total: 3120.

2-3 days after: I wanted to scratch and/or wash my donor area so badly. The first wash felt so great. Still no pain.

Now I wash my head every day. First, with lotion, then with shampoo I got from the clinic (this process should last 10 days in total). My donor area was itchy from time to time but not that bad. After 10 days I should start using some baby shampoo (every other day) till the 30th day after the HT. First question here - can I just keep using the same shampoo I got from the clinic? A lot of scabs fell off 7 days after the surgery. Some of them were white/clear, some dark (but no fresh blood at all). Some with, some without hairs. I understand it’s normal, right? Because, you know, those with hairs scare me. I thought it will happen later. 9 days after almost all scabs were gone. Today my head is still a bit red.

Minoxidil and gym: in other topics I have read that both using minoxidil and going back to the gym can be resumed after one month. However, I was told I can do both after 14 days. What are your thoughts? Can I perform bench press for example (as you need to lay down your head)?

Things I am aware of:

1. A second HT will be needed. When? We will see but you can probably see on all photos that the density between my crown and forehead (it’s called midscalp, right?) was and is still not that great as this area wasn’t touched because of my age.
  2. My hair is very thin. I cannot fix it. I just hope a second surgery will be enough to deal with it.
  3. 1 + 2 = I think it’s visible that transplanted hairs are “nicer”, thicker and stronger than those from my midscalp. I wonder how it will look like in 6 months. Probably still visible but how much.
  4. Damn, my scalp is so oily… Of course, it’s not helping at all. I have already described my regime in the first thread.
  5. I have a long journey ahead of me. I don’t expect any miracles, just hope to feel better with myself in 6 months. Then, after a second HT, I want to say “it’s good”. Let’s face it, I won’t get back the original density but I’m aware of it.
  6. Now, I just wait for a moment to go out and don’t look “weird” (also in the eyes of my friends). I had pretty short hair before - that should help.

Feel free to ask any questions. Now I totally understand why this is called a journey.

IMG-20220321-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20220321-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20220321-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20220321-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20220321-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20220321-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20220321-WA0006.jpg

Hi again, 14 days update.

Falling out has definitely started. My skin is still a bit red (temples mostly). I have been told to start using minoxidil again after 14 days but is it ok to do so having red skin? Also, should I keep using the lotion & shampoo I got from the clinic or switch to a baby shampoo?

Anyway, I would really appreciate any feedback from you, guys. How it looks, what you think, any words would mean something :)

IMG_20220323_164850.jpg

IMG_20220323_164906.jpg

IMG_20220323_164921.jpg

IMG_20220323_164941.jpg

IMG_20220323_164949.jpg

IMG_20220323_165007.jpg

Thanks :) I don't think so. I felt I could be frank and straightforward so I just did. Feel free to ask her questions so you can sleep without any doubts. Dr. Bicer is very understanding.

Edited by mark2137

One wick question, did you just bring cash to pay for the procedure? I feel a little iffy about carrying so much around since I’ll probably have to go from hotel to clinic for procedure (I know it’s close but still). I was wondering how you managed or about if the area is ok

Hi again, 3 weeks update. This time I used the main camera. A bit more difficult to take pictures but the quality is much better I think. Should have done this before, sorry.

I can tell I have less hair than a week ago. My left side looks worse (both the donor area and my temple) but I just need to wait.

IMG_20220330_192356.jpg

IMG_20220330_192425.jpg

IMG_20220330_192559.jpg

IMG_20220330_192652.jpg

IMG_20220330_192828.jpg

IMG_20220330_192907.jpg

17 hours ago, Zoroa17 said:

did your hair and scalp start to get a bit more oil/sweat than normal after a day?

Yes! I had this problem before and had to use a lot of different shampoos (in touch with my dermatologist). Of course, after the surgery I stopped using them so this must be a case (or at least a part of the issue).

And yes, the shedding phase has started. It is visible while applying minoxidil (I started 3 weeks after the surgery) - lots of hair on my hands :(

22 hours ago, Etownone said:

Might not even need another HT

I wish :) Unfortunately, I am not even 28, on fin and minoxidil for 7/8 years and still loosing hair. Also, my midscalp didn't get any new graft and my hair there is already very thin which raises the question - will the difference between my new, strong frontline hair and my old, thin midscalp hair be noticeable/hard to cover?

5 minutes ago, mark2137 said:

I wish :) Unfortunately, I am not even 28, on fin and minoxidil for 7/8 years and still loosing hair. Also, my midscalp didn't get any new graft and my hair there is already very thin which raises the question - will the difference between my new, strong frontline hair and my old, thin midscalp hair be noticeable/hard to cover?

Are you taking the oral minoxidil.   Just asking cause I switched from topical to oral and it's made life so much easier. 

once you get your new frontal hair area, it will probably blend it good with everything else.   

You might need another HT down the road,   like most of us did,   but I don't think you will need it right away. 

40 minutes ago, Etownone said:

Are you taking the oral minoxidil.

I would like to but it's not available in my country :(

55 minutes ago, Etownone said:

You might need another HT down the road,   like most of us did,   but I don't think you will need it right away.

Dr. Bicer said I have at least 3 years - it sounds cool.

• Like 1

Thanks for your respond. I am roughly abiut your time too although I only notice hair shed when I shower/wash my hair. Have to make sure wash it or it will get really oily. Already missed the look of it when it first growth

I haven’t started my topical yet for minoxidil but I will probably do it soon. Are you planning to use it for awhile. Did dr Bicer tell you when to stop?

5 hours ago, Zoroa17 said:

Are you planning to use it for awhile. Did dr Bicer tell you when to stop?

Yeah, for a while - for the rest of my life probably ;) Together with finasteride.

1 hour ago, mark2137 said:

Yeah, for a while - for the rest of my life probably ;) Together with finasteride.

Smart.    👍

My my experience,   Only advice I could ever give people is to not stop the meds,  cause you can have a huge setback, and lose your transplanted hairs too.    

• Like 1

Interesting. I dont think dr bicer really force ppl to take med but i have seen mostly is from the patients themselves.

in most case, I believe from my research meds are used for keeping the current donor hairs not the transplanted hair though but I could be wrong

On 4/1/2022 at 5:10 PM, mark2137 said:

Yes! I had this problem before and had to use a lot of different shampoos (in touch with my dermatologist). Of course, after the surgery I stopped using them so this must be a case (or at least a part of the issue).

And yes, the shedding phase has started. It is visible while applying minoxidil (I started 3 weeks after the surgery) - lots of hair on my hands :(

Do you have any pics of your current sheds? Is it only when you shower?

I already missed my hair growing out first 2 weeks lol and the color is still a bit red make it easy to see the difference between the hair growth and the implanted one

I guess back to wearing a hat for one month or so

On 3/23/2022 at 5:26 PM, Elrecio81 said:

Ahh ok so you paid cash as well then, yeah I guess there is no getting around or then haha

There is. Use wise or some money transferring app

3 hours ago, Zoroa17 said:

I dont think dr bicer really force ppl to take med

She doesn't force - that's for sure but if you are on meds, you shouldn't stop.

meds are used for keeping the current donor hairs not the transplanted hair

Correct but also to keep midscalp hair, for example. Transplanted hair should be fine without meds but all the rest is in danger and I can see the difference in thickness.

Do you have any pics of your current sheds? Is it only when you shower?

Today I will post 4 weeks update. A week ago it was worse but shedding is still visible - both during shower and applying minoxidil.

Ok, so 4 weeks have passed. Shedding continues, what worries me is that my right-side donor area is definitely worse.

Donor - still itchy and when I put my head on a pillow/bench I have this funny feeling. It's not pain, it's not even uncomfortable. It's just weird haha.

Recipient - crown - like before the surgery; front - when I touch it, the skin feels like it doesn't belong to me. It's tight but week after week it's getting better.

Last week Dr. Bicer called me to check everything which was very kind and thoughtful. She asked if I have any questions and explained that for some reason the younger you are, the worse shedding you face. I can cut my hair in a month.

Now I expect the worst 4 weeks. I hope it will pass quickly.

IMG_20220407_193659.jpg

IMG_20220407_193721.jpg

IMG_20220407_193741.jpg

IMG_20220407_193831.jpg

IMG_20220407_193904.jpg

IMG_20220407_194106.jpg