School Me on Hair Fibres?

• Valued Contributor

Hey peeps,

I have to attend a funeral in a week. I'm almost at two months post op (and will post a separate report on this) and have some hair/s to work with mostly white beard hairs but also some dark scalp hairs coming through). The problem is what color? When I shaved my head my hair color was brown. This is the first time in six years that I have grown my hair out and now it looks grey/dark/white?? 🤔 If I go with Toppik do I buy light brown, medium brown, dark brown and add it to white, grey? Thanks in advance. 🙏

thumbnail_IMG_9081.png

thumbnail_IMG_9082.jpg

Edited by Gatsby

Doctors advise to avoid hair color and hair fibers in the implanted area for at least 4 months for optimal results, but if you must use hair fibers maybe go with something that matches the sides and donor area -- looks like medium to dark brown.

A combination of grey and light/medium brown might work. I've only used grey from Toppik and find that it has a slight blue tint. Can't say how the brown looks but our hair colours are about the same.

• Thanks 1

Dude I have you covered if you’ll excuse the pun😊

Buy 1 light brown and 1 Grey and empty container of one them into something similar for use later .

Refill the empty toppik container using 2 part LB 1 part Grey until it’s full ..

get yourself a fibre spray applicator available at time of your fibre purchase ..

give the mixed up container a good shake to create a dusty browny grey look and your good to go..

Fibres are a little bit trial and error to get the right shade  but looking at your situation I’d say this is your best bet ..👍

• Like 1

I've found with hair fibers, and with dermmatch, unless you happen to be a spot-on match for the existing colors, its better to go a little darker. My hair was a lighter brown, but the medium brown fibers looked the best. The darker coloring absorbs more light, less reflecting of it. Its easier to detect that you are using something when people notice the different ways the light is reflecting off your native hair compared with the hairs that are coated with fibers. At 2 months depending on how non-grey you want to go, the options are some combination of dyeing the hair, fibers, dermmatch. The dermmatch may even be enough so that you don't need to dye the hair. 

And when you find a combination that looks good in the mirror with indoor lighting, don't forgot to check again in more harsh lighting, including going outside and take some pictures or looks in the mirror there too. When I was getting the hang of applying the concealers it really surprised me how good an application can look indoors under nice lighting, but then look totally obvious that I was using something when I stood under brighter lights or went outdoors.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Depending on the weather, your relationship to the deceased, the deceased's customs, etc. I think a hat may actually be acceptable if it fits the fashion everyone else is wearing. 

Or of course all the fiber suggestions everyone else is saying. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ciaus said:

I've found with hair fibers, and with dermmatch, unless you happen to be a spot-on match for the existing colors, its better to go a little darker. My hair was a lighter brown, but the medium brown fibers looked the best. The darker coloring absorbs more light, less reflecting of it. Its easier to detect that you are using something when people notice the different ways the light is reflecting off your native hair compared with the hairs that are coated with fibers. At 2 months depending on how non-grey you want to go, the options are some combination of dyeing the hair, fibers, dermmatch. The dermmatch may even be enough so that you don't need to dye the hair. 

And when you find a combination that looks good in the mirror with indoor lighting, don't forgot to check again in more harsh lighting, including going outside and take some pictures or looks in the mirror there too. When I was getting the hang of applying the concealers it really surprised me how good an application can look indoors under nice lighting, but then look totally obvious that I was using something when I stood under brighter lights or went outdoors.

Great points 

I remember attending a funeral about a month after my procedure. It was the first time in my life that I had a buzz cut. I also wore sunglasses 

If you don't expect to speak to many many people I wouldn't worry to much as most people won't care to look twice at peoples hair during these unfortunate events

However, as our friends above have said I would definitely mix light brown with grey fibers,  mix em up in the bottle and sprinkle away. you're fine 😁

I would also tidy around the ears and back of the of the neck line.. any fly away hairs id cut off. making it look like you just have a normal haircut

I'm just thinking now... a lot of women wear black hats at funerals!  I don't think it's common that men wear hats though..  

Edited by Ryan Daniel

The process of hair growth consists of three stages:

• Anagen: This is the active growth phase of the hair fiber and can last for 2- 7 years. At any given time 80-85% of our hair is in the anagen phase.
  • Catagen: Sometimes referred to as the transitional phase, which is when hair growth begins to "stop" and activity ceases. It usually lasts for 10- 20 days.
  • Telogen: This occurs when hair growth stops completely and the hair fibers fall out. At any given time, 10-15% of our hair is in the telogen phase, which typically lasts up to 100 days for scalp hair. After the telogen phase, the process of hair growth starts again in the anagen phase.

As hair forms, melanocytes inject pigment (melanin) into the keratin-containing cells. Keratin is the protein that makes up our hair, skin and nails. Throughout the years, melanocytes continue to inject pigment into the keratin of the hair, giving it a piquant color.