PRP Course

johnp_81

Hi,

I've recently had a hair transplant in Turkey and he recommended further PRP courses when back in the UK.

Prices vary wildly from £150 a session to £450! Does it really matter who I choose? I took a lot of time choosing my transplant surgeon but can PRP go wrong/be done poorly?

There are a few UK transplant clinics that offer reasonable sessions.

Cheers

Just now, johnp_81 said:

Hi,

I've recently had a hair transplant in Turkey and he recommended further PRP courses when back in the UK.

Prices vary wildly from £150 a session to £450! Does it really matter who I choose? I took a lot of time choosing my transplant surgeon but can PRP go wrong/be done poorly?

There are a few UK transplant clinics that offer reasonable sessions.

Cheers

Save your £££s and don’t get any PRP treatments here in the Uk. Won’t make a bit of difference! PRP may or may not help with initial growth, but it’s a 12 month journey regardless. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, johnp_81 said:

It's not to boost the transplant more to help improve my native hairs as I still have a lot and not on any hair loss treatment due to the sides

Cheers

Very few clinics are doing decent PRP, and absolutely none I have seen in the UK. PRP is not going to help you save your native hairs in the long run. A med regime such as Fin/Minox would. If your unable to tolerate them have you considered lowering the dose, or trying the topical versions ? 
PRP honestly has no long term benefit. In the short term it’s questionable, and then it can be down to who is carrying it out. 
Nearly all of the top/Elite clinics don’t use it, and certainly don’t recommended it for retaining your native hair. 

Edited by JC71

Thank you 

Sorry don't mean to be thick but what makes a clinic do decent PRP? I thought the machine separates everything and it's just injected in the scalp?

Yes I fully appreciate it's not a long term solution to protect my native hairs but as I cannot take fin or minoxidl (lowered dose/topical) it was recommended as an option.

The science behind PRP is very questionable and I don't think it's worth the money personally, but if you have money to burn then I also don't think it can't hurt. 

I'm not even sure it can be considered a short term solution either. The science really isn't there. Many Dr's disagree with its usage, even for injuries because the results are not very promising. 

Edited by JoeMan
  • Like 1

Just now, JoeMan said:

The science behind PRP is very questionable and I don't think it's worth the money personally, but if you have money to burn then I also don't think it can hurt. 

I'm not even sure it can be considered a short term solution either. The science really isn't there. Many Dr's disagree with its usage, even for injuries because the results are not very promising. 

Totally agreed @JoeMan👍🏽Even the short term possibility isn’t guaranteed. 

26 minutes ago, JC71 said:

Who is doing your PRP ? Are you not on Fin either ? How often are you getting the PRP session ? 

It is from a well respected Dr in the field and on this forum. But I am reluctant to do advertisements. What works for me might not work for others. I am only on PRP, no Fin. I can agree with you that there are different protocols and quality of PRP out there. So you gotta do your due dilligence as with HTs

3 minutes ago, Mike10 said:

It is from a well respected Dr in the field and on this forum. But I am reluctant to do advertisements. What works for me might not work for others. I am only on PRP, no Fin. I can agree with you that there are different protocols and quality of PRP out there. So you gotta do your due dilligence as with HTs

That’s fair, are you US based ? I agree that it’s important for anybody looking that they should do their due diligence in choosing. 

3 minutes ago, JC71 said:

That’s fair, are you US based ? I agree that it’s important for anybody looking that they should do their due diligence in choosing. 

I am based in Europe. I do PRP twice a year and it is very costly. If you are already on Fin I would not even consider PRP.  

1 minute ago, Mike10 said:

I am based in Europe. I do PRP twice a year and it is very costly. If you are already on Fin I would not even consider PRP.  

Yeh seems like the OP got sides from Fin, so his options are limited. Im a maverick and don’t take anything… never have… I was happy chasing my Norwood 6 loss. 

1 minute ago, JC71 said:

Yeh seems like the OP got sides from Fin, so his options are limited. Im a maverick and don’t take anything… never have… I was happy chasing my Norwood 6 loss. 

I can relate to that, I am also refusing medication. WIth such aggressive MPB, I highly doubt PRP would have really made a difference. 

Just now, Mike10 said:

I can relate to that, I am also refusing medication. WIth such aggressive MPB, I highly doubt PRP would have really made a difference. 

I don’t want to derail the thread from the OP, but when I started my journey PRP really wasn’t a thing. What I have seen is that it can be used as a “cash grab” from the less desirable clinics/mills. Or it will be used as a excuse why growth didn’t happen, neither is acceptable. A lot of people have had no success with multiple sessions. So I remain unconvinced. Great If it’s included in some hts, but i struggle to see benefits for 99% of people. Anyway back to the OP ! It’s your decision, I just don’t think you will find many people recommending it, and even less people here in the UK. 

• Like 1

Actually I would agree with JC71 with a small disclaimer that, in the right hands and with the right patient, it can have some benefits. In the vast majoroty cases PRP is just BS. however.   This view is also held by the Bald Truth.   

Thank you all.

I appreciate it's not guaranteed but not sure what else I can do if I can't take fin or minoxidl. I assume it can't make anything worse.

Will try and look for someone for reputable before making a decision