Dr. Bruno Pinto (Portugal) - 3287 Grafts - Diffuse thinner NW5A - 19/20 Jan 2022

Falconary

I don't think it's anything to be concerned about. I'm a few weeks ahead of you and I hope it's normal because I have a few similar spots that look bare. In fact 1 spot where I had the largest scab is smooth and no signs of hair follicles. I think no reason to panic until maybe 6-8 months in. Either way, not much can be done about it at this point. I would say that smoking is probably not the best idea but I'd be willing to bet many people continue smoking after a HT. Maybe some smokers can chime in here. 

Edited by JoeMan
  • Like 1

You're in the middle of shedding, it's completely normal to have patches of hair missing (actually at this is minimal shedding compared to most, including me). 5-6 weeks is way too early for there to be any signs of growth in most cases, no need to worry.

As for smoking, I highly doubt it. It's obviously best not to smoke yada yada but honestly it's really not going to make or break your HT. Try to cut back as much as possible, but don't stress about it.

• Like 4

Thanks for the answer guys. It's a bit reassuring and I really hope that hair will grow there or atleast be covered with longer hair. I've smoked my last cigarett for now, my hair is way more important. But man I never thought I would look at the intricate details and thought of it as a smooth sail before ht, but post transplant I found myself staring at my hair and taking pictures, zooming in etc., each and every day 😅

55 minutes ago, Falconary said:

Thanks for the answer guys. It's a bit reassuring and I really hope that hair will grow there or atleast be covered with longer hair. I've smoked my last cigarett for now, my hair is way more important. But man I never thought I would look at the intricate details and thought of it as a smooth sail before ht, but post transplant I found myself staring at my hair and taking pictures, zooming in etc., each and every day 😅

Haha, it's normal mate. I think we all do it, I certainly found myself taking lots of pictures and comparing them every few days for a while. Once I saw some baby hairs just start to pop through at 6-7 weeks in, I couldn't help myself to see how it was progressing, but now at week 15 and the hair growing in nicely, I've sort of just stopped as I know it's on it's way in now and I no longer have the anxiety of 'will it grow' etc. You'll be there too before you know it, just hold on for a few months and wait it out as patiently as possible.

• Like 3

• Valued Contributor

@Falconary you are exactly at the same post op stage as myself. Quitting smoking was a brilliant move not just for your hair but also for your health and your wallet! 👍You've got an excellent donor pre surgery and post surgery! I love your doctor's game plan and the amount of work he participated in for what will be an excellent result. To get through the ugly duckling phase I am just up to my neck working and I'll be going to Thailand in May. It's difficult but if you can distract yourself somehow it helps with being able to forget about your hair at this stage. Remember the days are long but the years go quick! All the best!

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Gatsby said:

@Falconary you are exactly at the same post op stage as myself. Quitting smoking was a brilliant move not just for your hair but also for your health and your wallet! 👍You've got an excellent donor pre surgery and post surgery! I love your doctor's game plan and the amount of work he participated in for what will be an excellent result. To get through the ugly duckling phase I am just up to my neck working and I'll be going to Thailand in May. It's difficult but if you can distract yourself somehow it helps with being able to forget about your hair at this stage. Remember the days are long but the years go quick! All the best!

Thanks man! I can only agree, Dr. Pinto did really a great job with the design, planning, extraction, everything so It's basically a waiting game now even though Its much harder than I thought. Thailand is great, hope you will have a nice trip :D 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello guys, here is my 2 months update, taken in shade and direct sunlight. Not so much has happened during the last couple of weeks. I start seeing some new hairs popping out here and there but overall the status seems to be about the same, I think... I also dont shed that much anymore, maybe 2-3 short hairs when I shower. I hope that those short hairs are not from dead grafts because Its weird that they have not grown all those weeks. 

20220321_130937.jpg

20220321_130900.jpg

20220321_132820.jpg

20220321_132823.jpg

• Like 1

• Administrators

Looking good, I was in a similar situation and still am.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Looking good man, now is generally the worst time but things will start to change for the better anytime in the next 6 weeks or so, at least that you'll visually notice in the mirror anyways.

Any really short, thick stubbly hairs that are still coming out aren't dead grafts, just shed hairs that got trapped in the skin. Some of them just have a hard time shedding on their own but if you were to take a pair of tweezers and pull on one of them for example, it'd come out with 0 resistance. Happened to me too.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Kashnw7hope said:

No they are not dead hairs . They will thicken up dramatically in the next 4-8 weeks . Congratulations , you are an early grower . Overall great progress

28 minutes ago, JDEE0 said:

Looking good man, now is generally the worst time but things will start to change for the better anytime in the next 6 weeks or so, at least that you'll visually notice in the mirror anyways.

Any really short, thick stubbly hairs that are still coming out aren't dead grafts, just shed hairs that got trapped in the skin. Some of them just have a hard time shedding on their own but if you were to take a pair of tweezers and pull on one of them for example, it'd come out with 0 resistance. Happened to me too.

Thanks for the clarfication, much appreciated and eased my mind 😊

2 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Looking good, I was in a similar situation and still am.

Thanks, I also take the same vitamins after seeing your video a few weeks ago, even it helps a few percent it's better than nothing and hopefully in combination with minoxidil it speeds up the ugly duckling phase 

• 1 month later...

This is my 3 month update. I trimmed everything down about one month ago so that is why the hair is a bit shorter than earlier.

But there is not much difference from month 2 to be honest, and It makes be worried... I can see some hairs sprouting out but I dont know if they are transplanted or minaturized hairs that will soon die. What do you guys think?

20220423_133638.jpg

20220423_133636.jpg

20220423_132202.jpg

Edited by Falconary

58 minutes ago, Falconary said:

What can my expectations be at this moment?

I looked about the same at 3 months, so I think you're right on track. First milestone will be at 5 months where you should see some cosmetic improvement. Give it time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ryan Daniel said:

You're going to have a brilliant result, I promise you 

Everything looks good.  The naturalness, the single hairs, the angles, the density and barely untouched donor area at the back

Thank you, I really hope so. I have fallen back and forth smoking cigarettes, lot of stress in work so I begun thinking that it affected my result. 

4 hours ago, shadowcast said:

I looked about the same at 3 months, so I think you're right on track. First milestone will be at 5 months where you should see some cosmetic improvement. Give it time.

Thank you, yea I know 3 months i way to early to tell but i got worried when I compared pictures to month 2 and saw no progress, but I must have patience, No other way.