gonna start kenalog injections to help with ridging from botched transplant from hair of istanbul

i managed to source some kenalog and going to use it to help fix my ridging, has anyone here used it before? how many injections? did it subside fully? and im also getting a second transplant within the next 2 months would starting kenalog be a mistake?

What do you mean by sourced? Did you somehow just buy a steroid and planning on injecting it without physician oversight?

Bosley 11-2016 FUE - 1,407 grafts

Dr. Diep 09-2017 FUE - 2,024 grafts

Dr. Konior 03-2020 FUE - 2,076 grafts

Dr. Konior 09-2021 FUE - 697 scalp to scalp, FUE - 716 beard to beard Total scalp FUE - 6,204 grafts 

It sounds like you are planning on administering the injections yourself? I'm no medical professional, but using the forum search someone asked about this way back in 2006. Topic is linked below, and below that if you don't click on the topic I've pasted the actual reply post screenshot where someone notes those injections have to be done carefully to not cause additional problems.

Before you try to do any injections I'd reach out to some doctor offices for clarification. Maybe someone knowledgeable on the forum can chime in too

image.thumb.png.692d74ca25f6136ca65ea9993f492765.png

• Thanks 1

I would strongly advise you not to inject kenalog without any doctor’s involvement. Kenalog usually comes as a 40 mg/ml injection and should usually be dilutes down to around 5mg/ ml so as to reduce any skin atrophy. It should be injected in around 0.1 ml per cm to also avoid skin changes. It does have good evidence against keloid and hypertrophic scarring. 
I personally use kenalog in all my tumescent solutions in both donor and recipient areas to reduce swelling and also scarring so I do see the positive effects of it. However, please take under medical supervision. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

I've had kenalog injections for seasonal allergies in the past.  Intramuscular.  Works quite well for a few weeks then fades off. 

One potential side effect is permanent 'dimple' in the skin, and it supresses the immune system temporarily.

I wouldn't mess around with it.

Edited by 1978matt
  • Like 1

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

9 hours ago, mmokin said:

im also getting a second transplant within the next 2 months

what clinic are you going to? broadly and very generally speaking, any doctor that has a waitlist of less than 3 months is not worth going to. 

Be very prudent and diligent as you don't want to dig yourself further with even more or different issues than you are already dealing with. 

Edited by SadMan2021
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, SadMan2021 said:

what clinic are you going to? broadly and very generally speaking, any doctor that has a waitlist of less than 3 months is not worth going to. 

Be very prudent and diligent as you don't want to dig yourself further with even more or different issues than you are already dealing with. 

dr mwamba had a slot at the start of march, i dont think i can get any better than him for afro hair and donor management but if there are better options im willing to wait even years

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ciaus said:

It sounds like you are planning on administering the injections yourself? I'm no medical professional, but using the forum search someone asked about this way back in 2006. Topic is linked below, and below that if you don't click on the topic I've pasted the actual reply post screenshot where someone notes those injections have to be done carefully to not cause additional problems.

Before you try to do any injections I'd reach out to some doctor offices for clarification. Maybe someone knowledgeable on the forum can chime in too

image.thumb.png.692d74ca25f6136ca65ea9993f492765.png

the NHS wont prescribe kenalog and to get it done privately is like hundreds of pounds per round of injections for scar treatment, a really big mark up. i have a friend in the canada who was prescribed kenalog to self administer for their own keloid scar so i was thinking it wouldn't be too bad to do on your own but if it is dangerous i'll just wait and see if the ridging subsides on its own but im worried that the scar will be less likely to fade the longer i wait

7 hours ago, 1978matt said:

I've had kenalog injections for seasonal allergies in the past.  Intramuscular.  Works quite well for a few weeks then fades off. 

One potential side effect is permanent 'dimple' in the skin, and it supresses the immune system temporarily.

I wouldn't mess around with it.

these seem pretty minor for side affects and you had an intramuscular injection which is the most systemic you can get, i would be injecting into scar tissue alot more local so i think sides should be more manageable

8 hours ago, DrTBarghouthi said:

I would strongly advise you not to inject kenalog without any doctor’s involvement. Kenalog usually comes as a 40 mg/ml injection and should usually be dilutes down to around 5mg/ ml so as to reduce any skin atrophy. It should be injected in around 0.1 ml per cm to also avoid skin changes. It does have good evidence against keloid and hypertrophic scarring. 
I personally use kenalog in all my tumescent solutions in both donor and recipient areas to reduce swelling and also scarring so I do see the positive effects of it. However, please take under medical supervision. 

im going to try and find a private clinic willing to do it as the NHS wont prescribe it but it is really expensive. do you use saline to dilute?

supposedly some have said that ridging disappears on its own but im worried that scars will be less likely to fade the longer i wait. should i not touch any steroid injections for now and see what happens in the future? 

4 hours ago, SadMan2021 said:

oh wait that's crazy! that's amazing you can see him so soon! congrats. when did you consult with him? I put out an email to his office last week and I'm still waiting to hear back.

Theres this french agency called esthetics for health tourism i used to book the appointment i emailed his team using the contacts on this website but they have really bad responsiveness im getting an online consultation on the the 28th of jan so will ask him everything i can on what to do