When should I start using minoxidil after a hair transplant?

After my hair transplant I received a paper indicating that I should start getting oral minoxidil (pill) on the 3rd day, and finasteride on the 10th day, while I should start washing my head on day 8, slowly increasing the friction and by day 10 I should start to apply more pressure to remove the scabs.

However, my intervention was 2 days long, and by mistake I received that paper indicating that I should start everything one day earlier than I should have, hence I started oral minoxidil on the second day (starting from the next day after the entire operation was completed).

What is your experience with restarting minoxidil or finasteride? Would it matter that I ended up starting oral minoxidil & finasteride a day earlier than what I was supposed to?

I guess it's oral so I hope it won't really affect anything, same with finasteride... but your experience would help! Thanks

I think it’s great that you are doing your best to follow your physicians postoperative instructions. However, I wouldn’t be overly concerned if you started using minoxidil or finasteride one day early. It’s not going to hurt anything.

I personally stopped using minoxidil in between hair transplants because I didn’t think it was really doing much for me so I don’t have any direct experience restarting after the procedure. That said, as long as you’re following the instructions pretty closely, you should be fine. Anything that you might have lost when you stopped using minoxidil should be stored within a couple months after you begin again  

best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.