The more research I do the more confused I am!

Hello all! I have been reading up so many posts, very interesting stuff! I already had two small HT (in 2001 FUT Dr. Vilnow Belgium and 2009 FUE - Dr Zontos - Harklinikken Copenhagen). I pretty much ended up with the first one because I was only 24 at the time and it needed to be close to home and the second doc was actually a client of mine so it was an obvious choice). I never researched anything until about 4 years ago, when I realized I need a major top up. My native hair keeps slowly going, making a third intervention necessary, as you can see in the pics below. It looks pretty bad in that light but you could say I am a master of disguise and with the right styling, some hair fibers it still looks pretty decent. I am not in the biggest rush but I am 44 so I’d like to make a move rather soon now. So far I met Dr. Mwamba, Bisanga, Lupanzula, Erdogan, Couto (18 months wait for consultation) and Advanced Hair Clinics in Athens, all in person. Also another 3 clinics in Turkey that I pretty much ran away from as fast as I could 😅. Did some online consultations with a few in the USA, Cyprus, Hattingen, Eugenix, Ferudini, Lutecia Paris and I am probably forgetting a few! Meeting Dr De Freitas team tomorrow (his assistant I believe), Dr Lorenzo in 2 weeks and Dr Reddy in 4 weeks. So I am doing my research and I believe most are top doctors/clinics. But the more I research, the more confusing it gets. So far I never felt 100% certain «this is the doctor that I want»… I guess 100% confidence is difficult to achieve but it should be close if you take the plunge. What makes it hard is that they all have quite different approaches/ideas of what can be done and what not (just front or also crown, in one or several sessions, some say 2000 grafts is the best they can do, some say 3000 or 4000 is no issue etc. The cost is of 6E6B1AD4-6C9A-4B5E-B482-27AC1870412E.thumb.jpeg.d60accbb9e253ab918cb0008798832c1.jpegsecondary importance for me, it’s a lifelong investment in myself, donor hair is limited so I want it done right. I would really travel anywhere (current restrictions allowing obviously) but the more I look the harder it gets and I have the feeling I am not getting anywhere. Anyone else in this case, a bit lost?? How do/did you make your final selection? Hairline/front

1 hour ago, morehairplease77 said:

Hello all! I have been reading up so many posts, very interesting stuff! I already had two small HT (in 2001 FUT Dr. Vilnow Belgium and 2009 FUE - Dr Zontos - Harklinikken Copenhagen). I pretty much ended up with the first one because I was only 24 at the time and it needed to be close to home and the second doc was actually a client of mine so it was an obvious choice). I never researched anything until about 4 years ago, when I realized I need a major top up. My native hair keeps slowly going, making a third intervention necessary, as you can see in the pics below. It looks pretty bad in that light but you could say I am a master of disguise and with the right styling, some hair fibers it still looks pretty decent. I am not in the biggest rush but I am 44 so I’d like to make a move rather soon now. So far I met Dr. Mwamba, Bisanga, Lupanzula, Erdogan, Couto (18 months wait for consultation) and Advanced Hair Clinics in Athens, all in person. Also another 3 clinics in Turkey that I pretty much ran away from as fast as I could 😅. Did some online consultations with a few in the USA, Cyprus, Hattingen, Eugenix, Ferudini, Lutecia Paris and I am probably forgetting a few! Meeting Dr De Freitas team tomorrow (his assistant I believe), Dr Lorenzo in 2 weeks and Dr Reddy in 4 weeks. So I am doing my research and I believe most are top doctors/clinics. But the more I research, the more confusing it gets. So far I never felt 100% certain «this is the doctor that I want»… I guess 100% confidence is difficult to achieve but it should be close if you take the plunge. What makes it hard is that they all have quite different approaches/ideas of what can be done and what not (just front or also crown, in one or several sessions, some say 2000 grafts is the best they can do, some say 3000 or 4000 is no issue etc. The cost is of 6E6B1AD4-6C9A-4B5E-B482-27AC1870412E.thumb.jpeg.d60accbb9e253ab918cb0008798832c1.jpegsecondary importance for me, it’s a lifelong investment in myself, donor hair is limited so I want it done right. I would really travel anywhere (current restrictions allowing obviously) but the more I look the harder it gets and I have the feeling I am not getting anywhere. Anyone else in this case, a bit lost?? How do/did you make your final selection? Hairline/front

Can we see your donor area? 

You are contacting some of the best choices in the world so thats good. I think for your case the most expensive package with Eugenix would probably be my top choice because of your situation of loss.

• Like 1

Id say if you buzzed your hair down you're actually a NW5/6..the good news is you're donor looks to be way above average.....it sounds like you might be starting to suffer from paralysis by over analysis kind of understandable after your previous humdrum HTs..

Eugenix did my restoration over 2 procedures and I'm thrilled with the results thus far . You restoration would be more like a walk in the park for them versus my situation .

If you are not on 1mg finasteride a day I strongly recommend you commence this.  Helps retain hair ,revitalise miniaturised hair ,donor, recipient etc..

Good luck 

• Thanks 1

Almost all the surgeons / clinics you mentioned are the best, yes, I say "almost all" because I would run away from someone like you already did with those in Istanbul that you didn't mention.  Do not be in a hurry, stay on this forum and study it calmly, you will understand from which clinic you should not be operated on and you will surely find the surgeon / clinic that can do for you.  Yes, the donor area with that length doesn't look bad at all.  Good luck.

• Like 1

The truth is, for anyone to feel 100% confident in anyone or anything is next to impossible. There’s a lot to learn and any physician/Clinic you choose should help to educate you and answer all of your questions. If there are specific questions that you still have that remain unanswered, I suggest posting them on the forum or you’re welcome to send a private message and I can help answer them, etc. But the truth is, you should feel as comfortable as possible going into surgery before taking the plunge… especially because you’ve already had a few procedures and as you said, you want a lot more on top. Some of this will depend on your donor area, the existing scarring in both the donor and recipient area, the skill and experience of the surgeon, your own physiology, your existing and future potential hair loss, etc.  

Keep in mind that hair transplant surgery does nothing to stop the progression of male pattern baldness.   Thus, since you states that you are experiencing ongoing hair loss, I suggest considering finasteride and minoxidil to try to slow down or stop it’s progression.

best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant  

• Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

You are sitting on  a treasure cove of donor hair. Anything from 3000-3500 graft probably can still be extracted and will do wonders for your density as your hair and skin contrasts support fuller look. I think 2000 in front third and 1500 on crown area should give you good coverage but I guess when seeing physically a doctor can give you more precise advice. Most of the top doctors you mentioned are fine, in the end its the personal preference and how comfortable you feel during the consultaiton with them.  Maybe a two day session of 1500 each day.

Edited by TEXAN35
  • Like 1

These are all good doctors and you should have all the information now for an informed decision. So I will leave it at that. Regarding the use of Finasteride, my thinking  is whenever you can avoid using shit like that, avoid it. Now you are 45 years old and your donor seems above average and unaffected. So I am not sure Propecia is warranted. But it is something that you should discuss with the doctors  

Edited by Mike10
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mike10 said:

These are all good doctors and you should have all the information now for an informed decision. So I will leave it at that. Regarding the use of Finasteride, my thinking  is whenever you can avoid using shit like that, avoid it. Now you are 45 years old and your donor seems above average and unaffected. So I am not sure Propecia is warranted. But it is something that you should discuss with the doctors  

Personally i don't think it matters if you are older, but Finasteride actually has a net positive effect for people to be a preventative treatment and if you don't suffer from sides or aggressive hair loss, then you can taper the dose. 

• Like 1