Best overall surgeon in the US and Canada? Hasson? Rahal?

ryker94

Hi guys- 

I am looking to have a hair transplant in the next year and I initially decided on Dr. Hasson in Canada, but then I discovered this site and now I am unsure. Hoping you can help me decide. I am looking for the most reputable, skilled surgeon who's available in the US or Canada... the ones that come to my mind are:

1. Hasson
  2. Rahal
  3. Nakatsui 
  4. Diep

Can you help me rank those or any other guys I'm missing who you recommend? Hasson is the most expensive it seems, but Rahal's results look very impressive and comparable to be honest. Regardless, I will definitely pay the expensive price over having a bad surgery. 

Thanks in advance.

Best way to decide is see who’s work you prefer, and who is suited for your particular needs. It’s the best Dr/Clinic for you. We are all going to have different ideas here. There has been many threads on who’s is best for FUE/FUT etc in the US/Canada, which of course is pretty subjective. 

• Like 2

Like most members would mention Dr Konior for example. And I might mention Dr Panine - who personally I think is underrated. But others might say Dr Bloxham, Dr Nadimi who are relatively new compared to some of the other Drs on the forums recommended list. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ryker94 said:

Hi guys- 

I am looking to have a hair transplant in the next year and I initially decided on Dr. Hasson in Canada, but then I discovered this site and now I am unsure. Hoping you can help me decide. I am looking for the most reputable, skilled surgeon who's available in the US or Canada... the ones that come to my mind are:

1. Hasson
  2. Rahal
  3. Nakatsui 
  4. Diep

Can you help me rank those or any other guys I'm missing who you recommend? Hasson is the most expensive it seems, but Rahal's results look very impressive and comparable to be honest. Regardless, I will definitely pay the expensive price over having a bad surgery. 

Thanks in advance.

It is one thing to assemble a list of , but getting the 'best of the best' is a trickier matter as the question becomes more nuanced. Price should probably be the last affecting factor as this will affect the rest of your life. 

Further questions which might help you choose the best for 'your' case would be.

- What size of procedure are you wanting?

- FUT or FUE?

- How good is your donor? Is there any need to Body Hair?

Also, have a consultation which each one! There should be nothing to lose on that front.

• Like 2

IMHO there's no objective measure of "best" surgeon. It's not as if there's a competition where they compete and get ranked by a panel of judges. 😅 I've noticed there's a mentality on some parts of this forum (and others) where particular doctors and clinics attract a lot of attention and get hyped up as the "best"...  But you'll be grasping for straws trying to crown a winner because it comes down to so many factors. Plus, the vast majority of transplant patients do not post their photos on the internet for the world to see - so keep in mind that you have a significant sample bias.  What I would say is that you should identify the top 5-10 clinics (some of which are on your list), then base your decision on a number of personal factors like timeframe/availability, cost, proximity, dr's bedside manner, travel restrictions, etc. For my first surgery I did not go to a top clinic, and I kind of regret it now. But if you go to any of the top clinics then I think you'll be set.

Edited by yalla8
  • Like 1

• Administrators

You’ve got some great names, and as the poster above said no “best” but best for your situation. Hasson is one of the best at megasessions, Rahal is known for hairlines, etc. my advice is to use our recommendations as a starting point for research.

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Consult-a-Physician/hair-transplant-surgeons.asp?sr=HRN-MOB

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Depends on your case, but as far as your list of ‘top surgeons’ goes , I’d be scratching out your number 4.

Never heard of number 3, so unable to comment there. 1 and 2 along with Dr Wong are not only the best in Canada, but amongst the best in the world. 

• Like 1

Like others have mentioned, there is no "best" surgeon. There's only who is most suitable for your goals, budget, and overall situation (donor availability, crown work, hairline, beard extractions, etc). So, you have to factor all of that in when deciding who is the best surgeon for your particular case. The top surgeons in the world are all very capable of delivering an outstanding result but each have their own nuances. With that being said, I think the surgeons who deliver consistently remarkable restorations are in no particular order Konior, Hasson & Wong, Couto, Eugenix, Gabel, and Dr Zarev. 

Edited by BDK081522
  • Like 2

Bosley 11-2016 FUE - 1,407 grafts

Dr. Diep 09-2017 FUE - 2,024 grafts

Dr. Konior 03-2020 FUE - 2,076 grafts

Dr. Konior 09-2021 FUE - 697 scalp to scalp, FUE - 716 beard to beard Total scalp FUE - 6,204 grafts 

Thanks for all the great suggestions and thoughts, mates. I totally agree and realize how vague my ask was lol. 

Given these other considerations, I narrowed it down to Hasson and Rahal still... except I'm leaning towards Rahal because my primary goal right now is reconstructing my hairline and temples conservatively (keep a healthy donor amount for another surgery in the future). However, I am concerned with Dr. Rahal over two things:

1. Dr. Rahal seems to have better results with FUT procedures, which he does not do anymore.
  2. I read one post on reddit claiming that a past patient had 3 different botched FUE surgeries with him and got a full refund. 

Do you guys think Rahal is good with FUEs still? I had trouble finding good, recent FUE results from patients... Maybe I'll do more research into Konior. 

Also, Hasson is great for megasessions (prob choose him in the future), but is he just as good with hairlines?

Thanks again.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, JC71 said:

Definitely do some more research In to Konior, you won’t be disappointed! If your up for travelling then you could also consider Hattingen. 

@JC71 Do you happen to know how much he's charging nowadays? I read he charged $13 per graft for FUEs back in 2020... didn't know there were Dr.'s charging more than Hasson & Wong! 🤯

2 minutes ago, ryker94 said:

@JC71 Awesome, thanks. If it's still true that Konior is one patient a day and owns the surgery throughout instead of relying on techs.. then the higher price definitely seems justified. 

Both Konior and now his protege Nadimi are very good options. She might be priced cheaper, but is also emerging as a excellent Dr. 

• Like 1

• Administrators
11 hours ago, ryker94 said:

Thanks for all the great suggestions and thoughts, mates. I totally agree and realize how vague my ask was lol. 

Given these other considerations, I narrowed it down to Hasson and Rahal still... except I'm leaning towards Rahal because my primary goal right now is reconstructing my hairline and temples conservatively (keep a healthy donor amount for another surgery in the future). However, I am concerned with Dr. Rahal over two things:

1. Dr. Rahal seems to have better results with FUT procedures, which he does not do anymore.
  2. I read one post on reddit claiming that a past patient had 3 different botched FUE surgeries with him and got a full refund. 

Do you guys think Rahal is good with FUEs still? I had trouble finding good, recent FUE results from patients... Maybe I'll do more research into Konior. 

Also, Hasson is great for megasessions (prob choose him in the future), but is he just as good with hairlines?

Thanks again.

Check out @TorontoMan results 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

@JC71 @Melvin- Moderator - do you know if consulting with these doctors means emailing/chatting with them one on one? For Hasson, it all feels very informal and I only communicate through an associate and an assistant all the way up until booking... whereas with Konior, I am personally emailing him and he's evaluating my pics himself. I'm not sure what standard to hold for these consults.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2022 at 12:49 AM, ryker94 said:

Thanks again.

Ryker94,

While everyone is entitled to their opinion, I’d like to hear what you are basing your opinion on that Dr Rahal’s FUT results are better than his FUE results?  While a statement like this could be made about any surgeon who has mastered FUT and just started performing FUE procedures, Dr. Rahal has been performing FUE for a long time and produces outstanding results so regularly that he now solely performs FUE. In fact, he has for several years now. In my opinion, Dr Rahal’s FUE results today are just as impressive as his FUT results.   

Regarding an alleged patient who you’ve stated is posting on Reddit, perhaps you can send me a private message with the link so we can contact the patient to see what, if anything we can do for him.  Assuming this is a legitimate patient, what I can say and have always said over the years is that all doctors, no matter how good they are have the occasional case of poor growth or other complications. No physician bats a 1000. It’s what the doctor does to handle these situations as they arise.

What I can say is that Dr. Rahal has a long proven track record of producing outstanding results and is one of the only surgeons I know of that literally measures transection rate during each procedure by evaluating each extracted graft under microscopes prior to transplanting.  He and his staff also utilize a ”no touch” technique that eliminates any potential extraneous forces or damage to the graft during placement.

I have been a long time supporter of Dr Rahal, his technique, experience and professionalism long before I started working for him and have been impressed with the many results I’ve seen on his patients in person and online over the last two decades.

If you or anyone has any specific questions or concerns I can help address regarding Dr. Rahal, his experience and/or technique, please feel free to post them and I’ll be happy to answer and/or address them. Dr Rahal always been a standup surgeon and has always stood and will continue to stand by his patients.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

• Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

• Administrators
On 1/17/2022 at 7:51 AM, ryker94 said:

@JC71 @Melvin- Moderator - do you know if consulting with these doctors means emailing/chatting with them one on one? For Hasson, it all feels very informal and I only communicate through an associate and an assistant all the way up until booking... whereas with Konior, I am personally emailing him and he's evaluating my pics himself. I'm not sure what standard to hold for these consults.

Different clinics do different things. In general, it’s normal for physicians to hire consultants to handle inquiries. Now, if you want a video consultation or to go in person, there may be a fee, as the surgeons time isn’t free. Dr. Konior is very hands on, and I’m sure a large portion of his time is taken up answering emails. I would think it’s best to delegate that, but he is adamant on doing this himself. 

View my thread

On 1/17/2022 at 10:51 AM, ryker94 said:

It's always nice to have a doctor respond but honestly a lot of questions that you would want the doctor to answer can be answered by representatives. Especially if a lot of those questions are just routine questions (i.e. how soon can I get a transplant, what pattern of loss do I have, should I do FUE vs FUT etc)

On 1/17/2022 at 3:51 PM, ryker94 said:

whereas with Konior, I am personally emailing him and he's evaluating my pics himself. I'm not sure what standard to hold for these consults.

That's why he's very good value, even at $15/graft.

• Like 1

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

5 hours ago, 1978matt said:

That's why he's very good value, even at $15/graft.

This is just my opinion, and it probably won't be popular here (!), but it actually struck me as unprofessional that he didn't have a patient coordinator...  or for that matter utilize many technicians. I understand the argument that his hands-on approach can lead to more personalized attention and detail, but another way to look at it is cutting corners or being difficult to work for. I think in a labor intensive surgery like HT, it is important for doctors to surround themselves with a capable team. Specialized teams almost always perform better work than individuals in any field. Having been in the army I analogize it to a military operation. Even the very best combatant is nothing without a supporting team. For that reason, among others, I actually decided against Konior. All that said, many of his results are terrific and emphatically do not appear like a doctor who cuts corners. 

Edited by yalla8

15 minutes ago, yalla8 said:

Of course this is just my opinion, but it actually struck me as unprofessional that he didn't have a patient coordinator or for that matter have many technicians. I understand the argument that his hands-on approach can lead to more personalized attention but another way to look at it is cutting corners or being difficult to work for. I think in a labor intensive surgery like HT, it is important to surround yourself and train a capable team of technicians. Specialized teams almost always perform better work than individuals. Having been in the army I analogize it to a military operation. Even the very best combatant is nothing without a supporting team. For that reason I actually decided against Konior.

Cutting corners and Raymond Konior should not even be in the same sentence. Cmon mate, you're certainly entitled to your opinion and obviously chose someone else but don't negatively speculate about someone's work ethic that you truly have no firsthand experience with. His lead tech has been with him for around 20 years. Do you seriously think she would still be there if he was that difficult to work for?

• Like 3

Bosley 11-2016 FUE - 1,407 grafts

Dr. Diep 09-2017 FUE - 2,024 grafts

Dr. Konior 03-2020 FUE - 2,076 grafts

Dr. Konior 09-2021 FUE - 697 scalp to scalp, FUE - 716 beard to beard Total scalp FUE - 6,204 grafts