Using fibres or thickening spray after a transplant?

Does anyone how long after an HT you can use fibres or thickening spray? Just thinking ahead to the shedding phase and how to cover it up for some big social things I have coming up. I assume after 2 weeks should be fine given you can shower normal by then?

Hi - I had my procedure performed on 5 January 2022. My surgeon said applying fibres or any other hair products after 7 days is safe - however, just to still be careful with the transplanted grafts. 

Edited by Hristo13

Once all your scabs come off you should really be fine to do as you like in terms of fibres/sprays/waxes or whatever else. Maybe just wash it out at the end of the day or night to keep the area clean for the sake of caution, but it's fine.

13 minutes ago, Hristo13 said:

Hi - I had my procedure performed on 5 January 2022. My surgeon said applying fibres or any other hair products after 7 days is safe - however, just to still be careful with the transplanted grafts. 

21 hours ago, Hristo13 said:

Got you, cheers for that

21 hours ago, JDEE0 said:

Once all your scabs come off you should really be fine to do as you like in terms of fibres/sprays/waxes or whatever else. Maybe just wash it out at the end of the day or night to keep the area clean for the sake of caution, but it's fine.

Will do, thanks for the help

My advice would be to follow your doctors post operative instructions. These will differ quite dramatically between one doctor/clinic and the next.

The concern with fibres or even worse, thickening/concealing sprays is that naturally we always want to use "that little bit more". The concept behind them is that they attach/bind to native hair. In reality, depending on the specific situation they are generally use to conceal the scalp and this is when it can become problematic.

Post surgery the scalp is navigating several healing phases and in doing so, after the "trauma" of surgery, ideally the best and healthiest environment for the hair and skin should be priority. This is without doubt a fibre free environment.

We have seen patients using such significant amounts of fibres that even after several washes, it is still visible and almost has to be scraped from the scalp. This can undoubtedly have an influence on yield and growth.

Whilst many patients will have used fibres post surgery and achieved good growth, others will not have had such a positive experience and so be conscious of this and if you do use, then be sure to use as little as possible and wash your scalp at night before bed.

Our personal stance is to avoid fibres for at least 3 months, preferably longer.

• Like 3

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.