3,528 Grafts Dr. Bruno Ferreira Jan 11 & 12

JoeMan

2 minutes ago, sukh123 said:

Yeh atleast Someone says it how it is instead of “homerun” and “great growth” from the other people on this thread.

He’s at month 5!! Not even halfway through! He’s well on track 

Nice progress so far. 

The fact that you were completely bald on that area before makes a drastic change. 

To be completely honest, I would expect a little bit more density at this stage though. 

I believe it will still thicken up. 🙏

Rolandas had some visible improvements even until month 7-8. 

All the best 

52 minutes ago, PutTheFolliclesInTheBag said:

I think saying it improved some is a bit of an understatement, there is such a clear difference between your last update and this one. Keep hanging in there, if it continues at this pace you'll have your target result in a month or two!

Yeah, when I typed that, I hadn't really compared it to last month yet. Clearly it looks better than last month and hopefully everything continues. Honestly, for some reason the pictures always look worse than just looking in the mirror. Maybe because of the harsh light and zoomed in.

6 minutes ago, hope everything is nova said:

Nice progress so far. 

The fact that you were completely bald on that area before makes a drastic change. 

To be completely honest, I would expect a little bit more density at this stage though. 

I believe it will still thicken up. 🙏

Rolandas had some visible improvements even until month 7-8. 

All the best 

I'd like a little more density as well but at month 5, I believe I'm on track. Everyone is different so hopefully it thickens up. Here is a picture without my hair product which makes it look thicker.

20220611_154358.jpg

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, JoeMan said:

Yeah, when I typed that, I hadn't really compared it to last month yet. Clearly it looks better than last month and hopefully everything continues. Honestly, for some reason the pictures always look worse than just looking in the mirror. Maybe because of the harsh light and zoomed in.

Sometimes the resolution can be an issue for some. For example a lot of people describe their redness as very mild in person but in their photos it looks bad.

• Like 1

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

6 month Update:

It's actually a few days past 6 months but I've been busy with other things. I just got a haircut and my barber thinks it looks really good, but I haven't noticed much of a change lately. I will say that I can easily fix my hair and go out now without feeling bald but it still seems a little thin in certain areas. To me it looks like I have a good amount of hair for a 44 year old but it appears like I'm thinning in some spots because it's not really thick. I'm not sure if this just needs more time to develop or if some grafts didn't take but I certainly wouldn't call this a home run at this point. This also doesn't mean that I'm completely dissatisfied either. The new hair has made a huge difference in my confidence, self esteem and appearance. It looks natural to me and I'd say I'm 75% happy with it. Maybe it will get better but growth seems to have slowed down. I know that 12 months is the waiting period so I'm definitely not complaining or considering it complete, I'm just trying to provide an honest update. Also considering that I was almost completely bald on my frontal third, it's still a good improvement. A small touch up at the 1 year mark would probably make a big difference but I'm not sure if I will need it yet so I'm holding off scheduling until at least the 9-10 month mark. If it looks full enough, I likely won't opt for another procedure and save the grafts for when I really need them. 

Pictures below are fresh out of the shower and the 1st couple are with hair tonic in, feel free to let me know what you think:

20220714_134317.jpg

20220714_134313.jpg

20220714_134154.jpg

20220714_134150.jpg

20220714_134144.jpg

20220714_134112.jpg

20220714_134108.jpg

20220714_134059.jpg

• Like 2

It’s looking really good mate. You’ve gone from basically nothing in that area to decent coverage with another 6 months to improve. I think a touch up to add density is always a good idea if you can. I booked up another days surgery with Dr Ferreira pretty much as soon as I got home from my 1st Op. The plan was to get my beard done but to be honest I’m getting decent results with minoxidil so I will use my day with Dr Ferreira to add more density to my HT and maybe tweak the hairline a little. I’m really happy with my result but improvements can always be made if you’ve only had one pass. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, JoeMan said:

6 month Update:

It's actually a few days past 6 months but I've been busy with other things. I just got a haircut and my barber thinks it looks really good, but I haven't noticed much of a change lately. I will say that I can easily fix my hair and go out now without feeling bald but it still seems a little thin in certain areas. To me it looks like I have a good amount of hair for a 44 year old but it appears like I'm thinning in some spots because it's not really thick. I'm not sure if this just needs more time to develop or if some grafts didn't take but I certainly wouldn't call this a home run at this point. This also doesn't mean that I'm completely dissatisfied either. The new hair has made a huge difference in my confidence, self esteem and appearance. It looks natural to me and I'd say I'm 75% happy with it. Maybe it will get better but growth seems to have slowed down. I know that 12 months is the waiting period so I'm definitely not complaining or considering it complete, I'm just trying to provide an honest update. Also considering that I was almost completely bald on my frontal third, it's still a good improvement. A small touch up at the 1 year mark would probably make a big difference but I'm not sure if I will need it yet so I'm holding off scheduling until at least the 9-10 month mark. If it looks full enough, I likely won't opt for another procedure and save the grafts for when I really need them. 

Pictures below are fresh out of the shower and the 1st couple are with hair tonic in, feel free to let me know what you think:

20220714_134317.jpg

20220714_134313.jpg

20220714_134154.jpg

20220714_134150.jpg

20220714_134144.jpg

20220714_134112.jpg

20220714_134108.jpg

20220714_134059.jpg

Oh wow. You definitely are slowly growing but this is a pretty good improvement from your last update.

when you style your hair it looks really good but underneath it’s still some finer hairs that are still growing. Since you have wavy texture it takes time for it to grow a certain length, on top of it when you shed it’s very difficult to tell which is native vs transplanted hairs growing together.

but in your case it’s still pretty early. It’s good to see your concerns since they’re realistic expectations. Thanks for the update and happy growing. Looking forward to future updates.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, JoeMan said:

I'm not sure if this just needs more time to develop or if some grafts didn't take but I certainly wouldn't call this a home run at this point.

First, in no way shape or form should you even be close to judging whether or not its a "home run" at 6 months. Sure, some people are in great shape at 6 months, while others round the turn at month 8-9. That all said, based on the density you were looking at in the couple of weeks post-op, do you feel like the majority of hairs have at least sprouted by now? Even if they did, it can take many more months for them to fully mature and thicken up. I know 6 months seems like an eternity in this journey but the truth is you still have a good 3-4 more key months to go. 

As a side note the hairline looks like a home run, that I can say. Super natural.

Edited by ML488

1 minute ago, ML488 said:

First, in no way shape or form should you even be close to judging whether or not its a "home run" at 6 months. Sure, some people are in great shape at 6 months, while others round the turn at month 8-9. That all said, based on the density you were looking at in the couple of weeks post-op, do you feel like the majority of hairs have at least sprouted by now? Even if they did, it can take many more months for them to fully mature and thicken up. I know 6 months seems like an eternity in this journey but the truth is you still have a good 3-4 more key months to go. 

I thought I was clear by saying it's not a home run at this point, meaning I'm not judging it at the 6 month mark and it has time to improve. Just trying to provide an honest update for everyone and not try to artificially mask the result. I know I have many months to go and I am not trying to be negative about it. Honestly I'm fairly happy at this point. I rarely think about it anymore and most people compliment it that know I've had a HT. As far as most hairs sprouting, it's hard to say with my curly hair. At some point I might shave it down to see as I suspect a few areas are much less dense. The good thing is that the very front seems pretty strong so it kinda hides the thinner spots. Hopefully in a few months, it will be thicker. 

13 minutes ago, ML488 said:

As a side note the hairline looks like a home run, that I can say. Super natural.

I dont think he is saying that is isnt happy. I think you misread that, hes saying more along the lines of being at 6 months comparative to his surgeon and the results he posts he isnt there. But that he understands the process and is happy at his current results given where he was prior.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, JoeMan said:

I thought I was clear by saying it's not a home run at this point, meaning I'm not judging it at the 6 month mark and it has time to improve. Just trying to provide an honest update for everyone and not try to artificially mask the result. I know I have many months to go and I am not trying to be negative about it. Honestly I'm fairly happy at this point. I rarely think about it anymore and most people compliment it that know I've had a HT. As far as most hairs sprouting, it's hard to say with my curly hair. At some point I might shave it down to see as I suspect a few areas are much less dense. The good thing is that the very front seems pretty strong so it kinda hides the thinner spots. Hopefully in a few months, it will be thicker. 

Yeh I’m be honest there looks like quite a few gaps lacking density, esp looking on the left side which I assume is your right side . It has definitely improved but I think your native hair is also longer now to shadow over it giving it more denser look. You would obviously know better as I’m just going by the pictures I see

Edited by sukh123

37 minutes ago, sukh123 said:

Yeh I’m be honest there looks like quite a few gaps lacking density, esp looking on the left side which I assume is your right side . It has definitely improved but I think your native hair is also longer now to shadow over it giving it more denser look. You would obviously know better as I’m just going by the pictures I see

Well its not that he has gaps. I think its because he has curly hair which has a lot more coverage. The biggest issue with that is that he had hair transplanted in places where there was no hair (so the hair growth cycle is different all around the scalp). The hair curls so it looks worse when its short and not fully thick. And he is only at 6 months as a slow grower. 

Personally, I know how it is when your hair is thinner and short with curly hair so I think given time probably around month 9-10 he will have some really really good gains.

1 hour ago, sukh123 said:

I actually just had my native hair cut and the barber used thinning sheers because it was really getting too thick. I'm sure some of it provides some illusion of coverage but I believe most of what you see in the front is all new hair. In person it looks a little better though but overall I agree that a few gaps on my right side exist, more than the left. Time will tell if they will fill in or not, but I can hide them fairly easily now if I blow dry my hair and frizz it around some, if that makes sense. I'm still uncomfortable with fibers so I choose to just look a little thinner but really most people likely don't pay that much attention to it. 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, sukh123 said:

You seem to be very critical on peoples threads. There's no such thing as "lacking density" when the result hasn't even finished growing yet. I don't know if English is your second language. But I suggest you try and be mindful of what you write. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I also had to do a hair drug test 2 days ago for a new job and of course the only spot that was long enough was in my new area. They cut a rather large (pencil size) area of hair out of my left side though. I can't really tell the difference but when they cut it I was shocked by how much they took. In my mind, I was like "be careful with that hair, it's expensive".

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

You seem to be very critical on peoples threads. There's no such thing as "lacking density" when the result hasn't even finished growing yet. I don't know if English is your second language. But I suggest you try and be mindful of what you write. 

Yes, English is my first language, I'm from London, England and there is a difference between being critical and being honest. The two threads which I know you are undoubtedly referring to are this and the eugenix one where I commented on the donor. Both ops on that thread shared my view, and as a result of my honesty, another two people having the same donor problems with eugenix felt comfortable to come forward and also share their worries, something if I were not honest they may have not done and hence be able to help placate their worries and give them advice.  

Hopefully there's some significant improvement in growth & thickening in the next few months or I can see why wouldn't be 100% satisfied. Still a good result regardless considering your high norwood

• Thanks 1

Just now, Spring15 said:

Hopefully there's some significant improvement in growth & thickening in the next few months or I can see why wouldn't be 100% satisfied. Still a good result regardless considering your high norwood

I'm sure it will some. Actually for some reason, today it looks good. I swear I have days where I'm really happy and days where I see gaps. I think with curly hair, and being thin, it's all about how the hair lays down. But I'm fine if it just improves another say 20%. If not I'll be a little disappointed but it's definitely not a bust either. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JoeMan said:

I'm sure it will some. Actually for some reason, today it looks good. I swear I have days where I'm really happy and days where I see gaps. I think with curly hair, and being thin, it's all about how the hair lays down. But I'm fine if it just improves another say 20%. If not I'll be a little disappointed but it's definitely not a bust either. 

Don't forget, you have not fully realized the 2, 3, and 4 hair grafts that have yet to fully produce. Each individual hair in a graft has its own set length for the telogen, or dormancy phase, and enter the anagen, or growth phase at different times. 

So you can have the 1st hair in a 3 hair graft pop thru at month 3, but not see the 2nd hair until month 6, and the 3rd until month 9. Then, of course, you have the caliber of the hair thickening and maturing over that time as well, which is why they always say 12 months for the full result. 

The balanced growth means you're grafts all took, which is awesome! Now it's just the waiting game of more hairs from those grafts popping thru and entering the growth phase.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

To me it looks perfectly fine this stage. I'd say it's on track. I wonder if there is some volunteer bias when it comes to posting transplant results. Maybe people who have better and faster growth are more likely to post warping people's perception of the growth timeline. I see no reason for concern, in fact I think it looks good so far.

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...