FUE into diffuse thinning?

Hey everyone,

I am getting close to 10 months since my FUE procedure, which was 1852 grafts into the front (I was at Norwood 3V at the time of surgery). 

While I am happy with the results of the FUE, I am starting to worry about diffuse thinning behind the transplant area.

I am not sure if this is permanent loss or shedding from finasteride, which I started five months ago. I have been taking 0.5mg, and tolerating it well, so I am upping the dose to 1mg per day. I have also used Rogaine since fall 2018.

From a quick conversation with my hair surgeon, the plan is to wait another 4-5 months to see if the hair loss is loss or shedding. 

But I am concerned because it seems very risky to transplant into area that has diffuse thinning—it sounds like the risk to native hair in the area may be too great. That makes me pretty bummed out, because I want to do something about these thin areas and hate to think about wasting any more time.

Has anyone had success with a transplant into diffuse thinning, or did you have to wait until the loss was greater? 

Thank you!

Hi there, 

I have a type of diffuse thinning on the front and back section of my scalp - and I have the same question you do!

My transplant is in a few days and I am trusting that my surgeon has the skill to minimise any damage to my existing thinned out hair. 

Take a look at my situation below: 

• Like 1

On 1/2/2022 at 1:28 AM, victormaitland said:

Hi there, 

I have a type of diffuse thinning on the front and back section of my scalp - and I have the same question you do!

My transplant is in a few days and I am trusting that my surgeon has the skill to minimise any damage to my existing thinned out hair. 

Take a look at my situation below: 

First of all, so excited for you getting your ht soon! That is awesome. I will reply on your thread and be watching your progress. 

I feel I am having the same type of loss that you have. I don't have much thinning on the crown (yet), but I do have thinning in the midscalp area, right behind the transplant.

Right now, I can make my hair look okay, since it is a bit long, but I am surprised at how much it has thinned over the past few months.

Maybe that's because of a finasteride shed? I can't find any better answer on how to tell between a shed and permanent loss other than: wait and see.

I am considering starting microneedling, but don't want to damage any more hair or produce more of a shed. I definitely don't want to put off another procedure and hate the idea of having to wait maybe years through this phase until it is gone enough to transplant. Ugh.

I'm thinning too in zone 2. I have bald area temples(corners on the hairline) so transplant is the only option but i have thinning on my mid hairline and behind it so i think i should try to salvage that area with non surgical options like microneedling in that area first and other remedies like prp or natural remedies(scalp massage, rosemary oil and supplements) and see if i can thickened that area up first. If that doesn't work, then I have no choice to risk having transplanted hair filled in with my native hairs.  I have a transplant scheduled to have zone 1 and 2 filled in. But your concern got my attention. 

So I think I may call my surgeon and decide just to have my corners in my hairline filled in. You guys think that's smart or are we over thinking that our native hairs can be damages with transplant hair like shock loss?

Edited by Smacias15