6 months FUE worried with the results

Greetings everyone and thanks in advance.

I am writing this in hopes of getting some honest opinions on the procedure I had 6 months ago. I had a 2000 graft FUE procedure in order to fix my hairline which I started having it expand and getting bigger with the temples from a very young age and shortly after it not only did I started having severe dandruff which I've been treating ever since, but the results I've gotten so far are really unpleasant. My hairline seems really unnatural and lacks density in general but more on one side than the other and the transplanted hair seems to be really thick and some of it is weirdly curly which doesn't resemble my native hair. My donor area also seems to be depleted because when there's light pointing towards it you can clearly see a pattern of missing hair.

Thanks for taking your time to answer me.

IMG_20211230_025727.jpg

IMG_20211230_023216.jpg

IMG_20211230_030222.jpg

@User589 are you certain your donor-region hair does not get curly when grown at length? Its been 3 yrs post op for me and my transplant hair is curly but native hairline hair is straight....my donor area hair though is curly when it gets long. So thats my theory on it anyway. 

What do you think is causing it to be curly?

Edited by SadMan2021

Can you also post some pics of the donor area?  With only 2000 follicular units extracted, I do not believe that a donor area can be exhausted.  Perhaps the follicular units have not been extracted equally, but to say that it is exhausted seems strange to me.

8 hours ago, SadMan2021 said:

@User589 are you certain your donor-region hair does not get curly when grown at length? Its been 3 yrs post op for me and my transplant hair is curly but native hairline hair is straight....my donor area hair though is curly when it gets long. So thats my theory on it anyway. 

What do you think is causing it to be curly?

I wish I could know honestly, the hair on the back of my head is fine like the rest of the other hair but some of the transplanted hair isn't, my hopes is that it isn't something permanent

Edited by User589

6 hours ago, Egy said:

Can you also post some pics of the donor area?  With only 2000 follicular units extracted, I do not believe that a donor area can be exhausted.  Perhaps the follicular units have not been extracted equally, but to say that it is exhausted seems strange to me.

Here's a better photo of my donor area

IMG_20211230_132434.jpg

7 hours ago, User589 said:

I wish I could know honestly, the hair on the back of my head is fine like the rest of the other hair but some of the transplanted hair isn't, my hopes is that it isn't something permanent

so you didn't notice anything strange or unusual during surgery? interesting that its just a select number of transplant hairs with the strange curls, and not all or most of them. 

If it really only is a limited few # of hairs, maybe it makes sense to pluck the hairs out entirely. 

20 hours ago, User589 said:

Greetings everyone and thanks in advance.

I am writing this in hopes of getting some honest opinions on the procedure I had 6 months ago. I had a 2000 graft FUE procedure in order to fix my hairline which I started having it expand and getting bigger with the temples from a very young age and shortly after it not only did I started having severe dandruff which I've been treating ever since, but the results I've gotten so far are really unpleasant. My hairline seems really unnatural and lacks density in general but more on one side than the other and the transplanted hair seems to be really thick and some of it is weirdly curly which doesn't resemble my native hair. My donor area also seems to be depleted because when there's light pointing towards it you can clearly see a pattern of missing hair.

Thanks for taking your time to answer me.

IMG_20211230_025727.jpg

IMG_20211230_023216.jpg

IMG_20211230_030222.jpg

The hairline def looks off perhaps too many doubles? 

It’s not a terrible HT but it’s not a great one. The hairline is too straight and perfect (a natural hairline should have imperfections and not be straight) and there are lots of doubles and Multi’s. The good news is you can do another HT with a forum recommend surgeon and they can fix this pretty easily. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@SD1984 @Egy Sorry for the late reply, sadly I could not find any pictures of my donor area when it was untouched, but I'll show some of the post op. 

The first picture is 7 days after the procedure, it was looking alright I guess. 

The other 2 were after 2-3 weeks and my donor area was itching really bad and it started to turn red, I was told to apply a Saline solution throughout that time. 

IMG-20210609-WA0000.jpg

IMG_20220101_160507.jpg

IMG_20220101_160525.jpg

Edited by User589

Do you have any photos of your hair before the procedure? And also photos that aren't taken so up close? These are so hyper focused on the hairline that I think it's hard to get a good idea of what the overall appearance is here. 

That said, the hairline does look very linear, which isn't ideal tbh - but also not a complete botch job? It just seems to be lacking the hairline refinement that really separates the top quality results/surgeons from mediocre ones. However, it's also possible that it may not look as noticeable when taking the entire head of hair into consideration, hence why some better quality photos would be great so we can give better input. 

As for the curls, I don't think I would've noticed them at all if you hadn't pointed them out. I have random curls and greys in my hair as well, and have never thought anything of it. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Posted (edited)
On 1/4/2022 at 10:16 PM, pkipling said:

Do you have any photos of your hair before the procedure? And also photos that aren't taken so up close? These are so hyper focused on the hairline that I think it's hard to get a good idea of what the overall appearance is here. 

That said, the hairline does look very linear, which isn't ideal tbh - but also not a complete botch job? It just seems to be lacking the hairline refinement that really separates the top quality results/surgeons from mediocre ones. However, it's also possible that it may not look as noticeable when taking the entire head of hair into consideration, hence why some better quality photos would be great so we can give better input. 

As for the curls, I don't think I would've noticed them at all if you hadn't pointed them out. I have random curls and greys in my hair as well, and have never thought anything of it. 

Sadly I couldn't find any pictures of my old hairline but I'll show you some of it now with some distance.

If I style my hair right it won't look super bad but it still doesn't look great to me either because the hairline looks really unnatural and it lacks density on the left side which you can't really tell because of the way my hair is styled (it ends up covering it). If I don't style my hair at all or rock a messier hairstyle like a fringe it looks really bad because some of the transplanted hairs have weird shapes and are much darker than my native ones making it almost look like I'm using a wig of some sort. 

IMG_20220105_041146.jpg

IMG_20220106_164647.jpg

IMG_20220106_164637.jpg

Edited by User589

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2022 at 5:19 AM, User589 said:

Sadly I couldn't find any pictures of my old hairline but I'll show you some of it now with some distance.

If I style my hair right it won't look super bad but it still doesn't look great to me either because the hairline looks really unnatural and it lacks density on the left side which you can't really tell because of the way my hair is styled (it ends up covering it). If I don't style my hair at all or rock a messier hairstyle like a fringe it looks really bad because some of the transplanted hairs have weird shapes and are much darker than my native ones making it almost look like I'm using a wig of some sort.

I hate that you've not had the outcome you were hoping for. Since you're still a bit early in the recovery process, I would suggest waiting another 6 months or so before trying to have it resolved - but for now, start looking at different surgeons who could do some refinement work in your hairline. Start scheduling some consultations with them soon, and really see if you can start getting a consensus from some top surgeons on what's going on and what they suggest in order to fix it. And who knows, it may end up settling in quite nicely over the next few months as the "wiriness/shapes" of the hair start to improve. 

And for what it's worth, I know it can be extremely frustrating to look at your hair and feel like it doesn't look natural - buuuut for your own peace of mind, I'd like to point out that I personally have a few friends who have incredibly dense/linear hairlines that are completely natural and almost look fake, and nobody thinks twice. Lol. I only notice it because I'm in the hair transplant world, but your average person probably doesn't bat an eye. (At least based on the photos you've shown, I think you're being harder on yourself than is warranted.) So keep in mind that even though it may seem glaringly obvious to you, there's a very good chance that nobody else notices or gives it a second thought. Idk. Just trying to point out that the problems we see in our heads often don't match with other people's points of view. Regardless, I hope you get this resolved and are able to eventually have a procedure that you're super happy with. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

6 months is early for final result. Your density will improve and hair texture will change. It may not be exact as recipeint but over time it will blend in. As mentioned before we are our own worst critic. Most people from outside of transplant world would not notice this as unnatural. The donor depletion maybe of concern but it maybe shock loss and may improve furthur but you mentioned it was not very dense to start with either.

5 minutes ago, TEXAN35 said:

6 months is early for final result. Your density will improve and hair texture will change.

I am not OP and maybe his case is completely different than my own. But at least for me I have been waiting 3+ years for my hairline texture to blend in......

@User589  if it makes you feel better here is my story. Just like you, I now have a full head of hair and no one would ever think I have MPB, but nonetheless I am still troubled by glaring deficiencies

In my case at 6 months density was bad and texture was fine. But now after 9 months the density is better and the hair got thicker. Though some transplanted hair is still slightly curly but fine with me. As for the unkempt look , I dont think I can carry it but I thought people with transplant have to style their hair for the illusion of density so its normal. I would be jealous if transplanted patients can still carry unkempt look 🙂 .

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TEXAN35 said:

As for the unkempt look , I dont think I can carry it but I thought people with transplant have to style their hair for the illusion of density so its normal. I would be jealous if transplanted patients can still carry unkempt look 🙂 .

this is a good way of looking at it. Perhaps it is unreasonable for me to assume post HT I can simply run  my hand thru my hair to style it or comb it very quickly. In my case there definitely were errors made, but it is reassuring if perhaps even with good transplants, TLC and styling is required. 

I just don't want OP to be 100% convinced the texture will improve, and use this belief to influence his further hair transplant journey. 

Edited by SadMan2021
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

User589,

Without photos showing the hairline closer up, I don’t want to draw any conclusions. However, it does appear that there may be some double haired folicular units in the hairline. This is not standard or common practice because it could make the hairline look unnatural. Hairlines are typically built with single-haired follicular units with doubles and triples reinforcing it but far enough behind so that they aren’t obvious.

So if this is what you’re experiencing, perhaps this is why you feel that something is off.

Rahal Hair Transplant

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.