Asmed 3500 grafts -7 months in

Frustrated

**Details**
- 3500 grafts in May 2021
- 1.25 mg Min for 5 years
- premium package with incisions done by Koray (I was heavily sedated as soon as he walked in, and fully knocked out just after he began)
- late 40s Caucasian

**Result**
- in a word, terrible (see pics)
- Doctor refuses to talk directly (states he’s too busy) - text only responses from a ‘patient care coordinator’ which in a nutshell is ‘let’s see in 6 months’.

**Synopsis**
- I know I will be when I go for my repair in 6 months (won’t be Asmed that’s for sure)

**Final word**
- Not expecting much more growth or density given very little change in the past 3 months. 
- My advice would be to avoid this hair mill at all costs.

53BE5664-6A33-406E-917B-DB8D565B8167.jpeg

3A3A7BE3-BBA7-4153-9A6E-2FAC03EEB5AF.jpeg

Edited by Frustrated
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

i was very much impressed with ASMED results posted online , but lately some people are having unsatisfactory results from them .. 

I believe this is the real value of this forum , multiple clinics can have great results , but then their work quality drop overtime , on HRN you can view recent procedures for any clinics posted by patients .

More importantly , the worst thing any clinic can do  is providing  poor after-surgery support .. 

Having said that , i believe your result can get so much better over next few months , you are at 6th month mark now  , some people have slow grow rate .. 

Can you post pre-surgery , more after-surgery timeline pics ..  ? 

• Like 1

Isn't it too early to think of it as final result after only six months? Not defending the doc, but maybe that's why he won't speak to you now, because he wants to wait (but I suppose he could tell you this himself, to wait).

• Like 2

14 hours ago, H.K said:

i was very much impressed with ASMED results posted online , but lately some people are having unsatisfactory results from them .. 

I believe this is the real value of this forum , multiple clinics can have great results , but then their work quality drop overtime , on HRN you can view recent procedures for any clinics posted by patients .

More importantly , the worst thing any clinic can do  is providing  poor after-surgery support .. 

Having said that , i believe your result can get so much better over next few months , you are at 6th month mark now  , some people have slow grow rate .. 

Can you post pre-surgery , more after-surgery timeline pics ..  ? 

Pre, 10 day (pre-shed), 1 month (post-shed), 3 and 5.5 month pics attached.

539EE7B2-060E-4CD0-B8C8-822DBC767B8A.jpeg

C4D56166-28E1-485E-8A3F-BE01EE8237CB.jpeg

0E45DD92-CCD0-4887-974D-3B1A8AAA20D1.jpeg

6A5F6799-2B03-49F9-9499-C7CD44CADFEE.jpeg

6E928B25-3053-4B11-AB32-B49008AF6258.jpeg

Edited by Frustrated
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Florence said:

Isn't it too early to think of it as final result after only six months? Not defending the doc, but maybe that's why he won't speak to you now, because he wants to wait (but I suppose he could tell you this himself, to wait).

I’m not considering this ‘final’. But was expecting at least something more ‘presentable’ that I could go outside with without head covering at the completion of 6 full months. 

Also payed the highest premium to have the doctor work in this . I don’t think a quick 15 min consultation to put my mind at ease is an unreasonable ask here at this point after paying several thousands of euros for a major procedure.

Edited by Frustrated
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

We fell with you...this waiting process is hard for everyone and if you do not receive the results expected it is devastating. I do think there is a chance for further growth, please do not give up.

What is obvious, that the growth in the hairline (typical more fragile grafts) is better than in the area behind it...this is very atypical. Do you have more pics showing this area as I see some red spots on the 5.5 month pic?

7 minutes ago, Gasthoerer said:

We fell with you...this waiting process is hard for everyone and if you do not receive the results expected it is devastating. I do think there is a chance for further growth, please do not give up.

What is obvious, that the growth in the hairline (typical more fragile grafts) is better than in the area behind it...this is very atypical. Do you have more pics showing this area as I see some red spots on the 5.5 month pic?

Appreciate the empathy and I don’t have any others at this time period sorry.

By ‘atypical’ you mean this is abnormal?

Edited by Frustrated

14 minutes ago, Frustrated said:

By ‘atypical’ you mean this is abnormal?

Yes! The graft in the very front are usually more fragile and hence more prone to damages by mishandling them. This is why you do not see such a pattern like yours often post op. It is a chance that this area is just delayed. Was there a difference in the process between the frontal hairline and the remaining area during surgery?

Edited by Gasthoerer

17 minutes ago, Gasthoerer said:

Yes! The graft in the very front are usually more fragile and hence more prone to damages by mishandling them. This is why you do not see such a pattern like yours often post op. It is a chance that this area is just delayed. Was there a difference in the process between the frontal hairline and the remaining area during surgery?

I was fully sedated during the incision please of the surgery so I have no idea.

the procedure was done in one single session if that helps.

Edited by Frustrated

• Administrators

I don’t think it’s fair to say it’s a failure now, it still has plenty of time to improve.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

You could be late grower but I had what you did at month  3-4. I think something go wrong certainly but you must wait until 12-18 months for final result. I feel your sadness as money and also loss of grafts and time, all this needed  to fix again and hopefully donor has reserves. Your forelock had receded very high beyond mature hairline and the graft number and hairline design was good, just bad luck can happen even with top Dr.

27 minutes ago, Frustrated said:

I was fully sedated during the incision please of the surgery so I have no idea.

the procedure was done in one single session if that helps.

fully sedated ? can you please elaborate .. 

your hairline looks strong which is a good sign as it creates the face frame .. i see you still have redness long time after the procedure , IMO  you have slow recovery , that's all .. 

7 minutes ago, H.K said:

fully sedated ? can you please elaborate .. 

your hairline looks strong which is a good sign as it creates the face frame .. i see you still have redness long time after the procedure , IMO  you have slow recovery , that's all .. 

I was put to sleep without my knowing before the doctor started incisions..

Im trying to remain positive and let’s hope it improves 

29 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I don’t think it’s fair to say it’s a failure now, it still has plenty of time to improve.

Perhaps some implanted hair thickness..but am I seriously expecting any further growth or density at this point?

Edited by Frustrated

36 minutes ago, Frustrated said:

Perhaps some implanted hair thickness..but am I seriously expecting any further growth or density at this point?

Just maturation, it's going to be a failure unless there is miracle. A 50/50 result would now have much better yield in my honest opinion so you will need more than touch up type transplant again, full works needed. I had a receding hairline with rest of my hair not balding and it was fixed very very good, but i also did small touch up recently out of choice.

Edited by sedan
typo
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, sedan said:

Just maturation, it's going to be a failure unless there is miracle. A 50/50 result would now have much better yield in my honest opinion so you will need more than touch up type transplant again, full works needed. I had a receding hairline with rest of my hair not balding and it was fixed very very good, but i also small did touch up recently out of choice.

So just as I originally stated, this is botched.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions and unless the impossible happens, I’ll stand by my original OP with my lacklustre experience with Asmed and Koray.

Edited by Frustrated
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Frustrated said:

grafts used at the hairline are single follicles .. as you go backwards , grafts are multi-grafts and typically have more thickness .. 

That what makes your growth pattern atypical .. it's early to judge , IMO you can have more growth , redness that you have may reflect that you are still recovering ..

but it's really important to have a feedback from the clinic at this point and be patient a bit .   

1 hour ago, H.K said:

grafts used at the hairline are single follicles .. as you go backwards , grafts are multi-grafts and typically have more thickness .. 

That what makes your growth pattern atypical .. it's early to judge , IMO you can have more growth , redness that you have may reflect that you are still recovering ..

but it's really important to have a feedback from the clinic at this point and be patient a bit .   

Thanks.. 

Redness has been gone for 6-7 weeks. im about to give up and as mentioned the dr won’t talk to me.

time to consider plan B I guess.  

thx again 😔

Edited by Frustrated
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Frustrated said:

So just as I originally stated, this is botched.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions and unless the impossible happens, I’ll stand by my original OP with my lacklustre experience with Asmed and Koray.

It is. Fact is that surgery cannot give native type hair, my own transplanted line looks slightly different to the rest of my hair in certain conditions, but gives good illusion overall ,that is what surgery should do at 50 grafts per cm2...most of your grafts have died.

I don't know why you were asleep during surgery like this, I knew everything they did and we joked, laughed and watched a film. Dr Erdogan is a top surgeon but all drs can have bad results, I hope its not physiological (failure to do with your body) and that something went wrong during handling of grafts. Because then you can repair this, it will be hard as some damaged grafts may need to be removed and also scars on top and back. For now just shave and assess at month 12, I would also repair with a different Dr like Bisanga or Mwamba. Erdogan is very skilled but I see sometimes his aggressive graft approach fails.

Edited by sedan
  • Like 1

In all cases i believe most surgeons won't do another surgery until 1year+ is passed to really have a full picture about all grafts growth  .. 

In case you didn't have a satisfactory result , from your pics i believe you have a good donor , that can still give you enough grafts to have a very nice result at the end .. 

plus , you are late 40's , so your alopecia progress will be much slower .. 

17 minutes ago, Frustrated said:

Thanks.. 

im about to give up and as mentioned the dr won’t talk to me.

time to consider plan B I guess.  

thx again 😔

And this is pathetic...a Dr should own up to failure (no matter the reason) and offer advice and emotional care.

3 minutes ago, sedan said:

It is. Fact is that surgery cannot give native type hair, my own transplanted line looks slightly different to the rest of my hair in certain conditions, but gives good illusion overall ,that is what surgery should do at 50 grafts per cm2...most of your grafts have died.

I don't know why you were asleep during surgery like this, I knew everything they did and we joked, laughed and watched a film. Dr Erdogan is a top surgeon but all drs can have bad results, I hope its not physiological (failure to do with your body) and that something went wrong during handling of grafts. Because then you can repair this, it will be hard as some damaged grafts may need to be removed and also scars on top and back. For now just shave and assess at month 12, I would also repair with a different Dr like Bisanga or Mwamba. Erdogan is very skilled but I see sometimes his aggressive graft approach fails.

very high density is a gamble in my opinion as it consume more grafts , i saw a video for dr sethi mentioning that high density can lead to necrosis ..

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, H.K said:

very high density is a gamble in my opinion as it consume more grafts , i saw a video for dr sethi mentioning that high density can lead to necrosis ..

Yes my Dr told me this too and said better to add hair slowly, interesting the hairline grew more than behind but is still inadequate, can't figure out why and hopefully someone experienced can. I am taking finasteride for over a decade and no other loss at 40 so hopefully don't need to deal with this **** for a while after the touch up.