3,558 grafts in total @ Eugenix Hair Sciences, India - 27/28th Nov 2021

Berba11

@Berba11 When my hairline design was done by Dr.Arika, she drew a rather conservative hairline and she mentioned that she takes into account the shape of your face, your height, age among other things before she decides on the hairline. But, since I insisted on an aggresive NW0 hairline to make my forehead less visible, she went ahead with it. Looking back 8 months after my HT, I can say that the one she drew in the beginning might have been a bit better even though I am extremely happy with what I have right now. 

As for the doubles and triples in the very front, I also had some placed in the very front as well as in my temples. I questioned this quiet a bit in the first few months but seeing the final result, I can now say that each multi-graft is placed strategically to give the illusion of density and not randomly. I have always wondered how Eugenix manages to cover NW6 with very less grafts and this might be why.

As the others have said, you just have to wait it out for another 5 months until you have some decent length and density to your hair. 

• Like 2

• Valued Contributor
12 minutes ago, Mggm said:

@Berba11 When my hairline design was done by Dr.Arika, she drew a rather conservative hairline and she mentioned that she takes into account the shape of your face, your height, age among other things before she decides on the hairline. But, since I insisted on an aggresive NW0 hairline to make my forehead less visible, she went ahead with it. Looking back 8 months after my HT, I can say that the one she drew in the beginning might have been a bit better even though I am extremely happy with what I have right now. 

As for the doubles and triples in the very front, I also had some placed in the very front as well as in my temples. I questioned this quiet a bit in the first few months but seeing the final result, I can now say that each multi-graft is placed strategically to give the illusion of density and not randomly. I have always wondered how Eugenix manages to cover NW6 with very less grafts and this might be why.

As the others have said, you just have to wait it out for another 5 months until you have some decent length and density to your hair. 

Thanks mate. Would love to see some pics of your journey. Do you have a thread?

I should say that I'm slowly but surely coming to terms with things and starting to get used to the new look a bit more since my mini freak out. Natural lighting really helps things and my hair seems to be growing fast. The sides already look a bit fuller and it's balancing out the hairline itself.

It sounds pathetic but I mustered up the courage to go the supermarket last night without a hat on. Nothing happened. Nobody died. Tonight I'm going out for a meal with the missus and on Sunday visiting family. I think part of the process is actually being seen by others rather than hiding away. I know all of this intuitively - I've said it to others often enough on this very forum - but actually being in the hotseat is a little different!

Dr Arika's original hairline on me was about 2-3mm higher. Not much at all, so the actual height of the hairline that she envisioned and my own thoughts were virtually the same really. Subtle moves, nothing major.

Everyone's comments have been massively helpful so thank you all :)

• Like 2

On 12/6/2021 at 12:19 AM, Berba11 said:

a) try to have a firm picture in mind of what you want going in and b) make sure you ask questions, seek opinions and trial some designs when you're there - don't get swept up in things.

I think these two points can't be emphasized enough for HT at Eugenix and HT in general. If this is your very first HT, please take some time to draw a rough hairline and play around with the design until you get what you like. Although I was given enough time and a couple of options during the design phase of my HT, it would have been better if I was prepared with a rough design beforehand. This is especially true when you have a frontal/temporal HT and changing this later will be very tricky.

Edited by Mggm
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Mggm said:

I think these two points can't be emphasized enough for HT at Eugenix and HT in general. If this is your very first HT, please take some time to draw a rough hairline and play around with the design until you get what you like. Although I was given enough time and a couple of options during the design phase of my HT, it would have been better if I was prepared with a rough design beforehand. This is especially true when you have a frontal/temporal HT and changing this later will be very tricky.

In addition to that , during one of consultations i made , i sent a pic with hairline i have in mind drawn .

that makes a big difference in giving more accurate estimation of number of grafts needed , also it help you adjust the hairline in advance ,

my original hairline is more like a u-shape "pointing downwards" rather than the  classic V-shape , i drew  what my original hairline looks like , so medical assistance emailed me back that hairline angels at the sides shall be more straight .

After my procedure I did see some grafts in the first row that appeared to be doubles, however, after I took a macro picture of the hairline and zoomed in very close, I noticed that none of them were doubles. All singles but densely packed and transplanted so close that it gave the illusion of a double hair graft. Also, because some hairs grow in weird directions at the beginning, they were crossing over each other and making it look like a double hair graft when it wasn't at all. 

In my case, Dr Arika told me that the condition of my scalp would allow for higher density. I'm curious if maybe the same was true in your case as well, and if so, maybe it's possible that you don't have any doubles in the first row. 

Could you try taking a picture in macro mode of the parts of your hairline in question and posting it? I couldn't see any areas of concern in the close up shots you posted, so getting a little closer and highlighting those areas would definitely help.

Edited by MazAB
  • Like 1

• Valued Contributor
51 minutes ago, MazAB said:

After my procedure I did see some grafts in the first row that appeared to be doubles, however, after I took a macro picture of the hairline and zoomed in very close, I noticed that none of them were doubles. All singles but densely packed and transplanted so close that it gave the illusion of a double hair graft. Also, because some hairs grow in weird directions at the beginning, they were crossing over each other and making it look like a double hair graft when it wasn't at all. 

In my case, Dr Arika told me that the condition of my scalp would allow for higher density. I'm curious if maybe the same was true in your case as well, and if so, maybe it's possible that you don't have any doubles in the first row. 

Could you try taking a picture in macro mode of the parts of your hairline in question and posting it? I couldn't see any areas of concern in the close up shots you posted, so getting a little closer and highlighting those areas would definitely help.

I’ll try and get a photo tomorrow morning in natural lighting as I can’t get a good shot right now in the indoor lights.  But you could be right!

• Like 1

On 12/5/2021 at 8:09 PM, Berba11 said:

Thanks Maz. Any tips or tricks for the redness? I’ve started applying very modest amounts of E45 to the recipient area to try and sooth it a little now that all the scabs are off. The front is still completely numb and the area feels risen slightly from the rest of the scalp. Any advice to speed that side of things up very welcome!

Sorry @Berba11, completely missed this one. I was actually considering using E45, but just ended up applying natural Aloe instead. It has worked well for me, but I'm sure E45 would work well too. The antioxidant properties of Aloe seemed to help a lot with the itching and reducing redness. 

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

UPDATE - 2 WEEKS POST-OP:

Nothing much to report after two weeks. I'm noticing more and more hairs shedding but I'm not really seeing too much difference up top yet. I've been surprised at how long the transplanted hair has gotten though!

The redness has come down quite a lot. It's not completely gone, but greatly reduced. I've been applying E45 lotion to the recipient area to try and reduce redness. I can't compare how red it would have been had I not applied it - maybe the E45 hasn't done anything - but the redness has come down so I suspect it's helped.

I've not experienced very much itchiness in the donor or recipient to be honest. The odd tingle or itch but nothing bad or bothersome. I know some people get a fair bit of irritation post-op but I've been largely fine.

The recipient hair feels almost beard-hair like and indeed looks a bit different from the native hair. From a distance or in certain lighting it's not noticeable but closer up or in harder lights things start to look a little weird at this length.

Some lingering doubts about the hairline design remain although I'm sure once it's all grow out long it'll be fine. The shortness of the hair right now exposes a lot. I've not succeeded in getting a close enough picture, but there definitely are some multi-graft hairs in the first/second row - especially the second row. How much of an issue this will be will reveal itself with time so. I feel as though transitioning out of the shedding phase and into the new hair will be an easier and more gradual transition than the pre versus post-op transition. I'm actually quite looking forward to the shed, as weird as that may be, as I've found the change in look to be quite drastic and harder to comprehend and accept than I ever imagined I would have. There are certain angles & lighting that I really like what I'm seeing and other angles where I'm less keen and doubtful.

I've attached a few [slightly ropey] pics from today which marks the 2 week anniversary of the surgery.

IMG_5406_2wks_postop.JPG

IMG_5405_2weeks_PostOp.JPG

IMG_5417_2wkspostop.JPG

• Like 1

I guess you should have someone less take pics of your hair in macro mode , using a high-end camera or a mobile in a lighting mode that reveal the details you mentioned above .

Because it's hard to see the points you highlighted in the post using the pics you uploaded .

I know it's tricky , i face the same issue when trying to send pics for a consultation that really reflect current situation . 

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor
56 minutes ago, H.K said:

I guess you should have someone less take pics of your hair in macro mode , using a high-end camera or a mobile in a lighting mode that reveal the details you mentioned above .

Because it's hard to see the points you highlighted in the post using the pics you uploaded .

I know it's tricky , i face the same issue when trying to send pics for a consultation that really reflect current situation . 

I will get the missus to do get some close ups - I keep forgetting/have been busy this weekend.

Also attaching a picture of the donor area in bright indoor lighting. Angle of the picture is also a little from below which presents things harsher than most will see the donor from. Looks fine - I'm completely happy with how well the donor has healed up.

IMG_5432.jpg

Edited by Berba11
  • Like 3

I could understand some doubles strategically placed in the second row to give density while still maintaining a natural look, but if they placed multi-hair grafts in the first row, I would think that is more of a mistake than by design. Definitely do what can to get the closest shot of your hairline, that will help not only with this forums input, but also a follow-up check-in with Eugenix. If I were you, I would not want to wait to put those questions / concern to rest.

I will say however, everything looks very very good with you're updated shots!

Edited by MazAB
  • Like 2

On 12/13/2021 at 3:01 AM, Berba11 said:

UPDATE - 2 WEEKS POST-OP:

Nothing much to report after two weeks. I'm noticing more and more hairs shedding but I'm not really seeing too much difference up top yet. I've been surprised at how long the transplanted hair has gotten though!

The redness has come down quite a lot. It's not completely gone, but greatly reduced. I've been applying E45 lotion to the recipient area to try and reduce redness. I can't compare how red it would have been had I not applied it - maybe the E45 hasn't done anything - but the redness has come down so I suspect it's helped.

I've not experienced very much itchiness in the donor or recipient to be honest. The odd tingle or itch but nothing bad or bothersome. I know some people get a fair bit of irritation post-op but I've been largely fine.

The recipient hair feels almost beard-hair like and indeed looks a bit different from the native hair. From a distance or in certain lighting it's not noticeable but closer up or in harder lights things start to look a little weird at this length.

Some lingering doubts about the hairline design remain although I'm sure once it's all grow out long it'll be fine. The shortness of the hair right now exposes a lot. I've not succeeded in getting a close enough picture, but there definitely are some multi-graft hairs in the first/second row - especially the second row. How much of an issue this will be will reveal itself with time so. I feel as though transitioning out of the shedding phase and into the new hair will be an easier and more gradual transition than the pre versus post-op transition. I'm actually quite looking forward to the shed, as weird as that may be, as I've found the change in look to be quite drastic and harder to comprehend and accept than I ever imagined I would have. There are certain angles & lighting that I really like what I'm seeing and other angles where I'm less keen and doubtful.

I've attached a few [slightly ropey] pics from today which marks the 2 week anniversary of the surgery.

IMG_5406_2wks_postop.JPG

IMG_5405_2weeks_PostOp.JPG

IMG_5417_2wkspostop.JPG

Hello @Berba11,
We took note of your concern and discussed the same with our doctors. Rest assured, you’re growth is very much on track. The doubles that you’ve been noticing in the second row of your hairline zone, are in fact, partially transected single grafts. Partial transection happens as part of extraction in any hair transplant procedure due to the simultaneous axial & tangential forces acting on the graft while using a punch. Say for instance, a double graft can get partially transected or cut due to which only one of it’s roots will be extracted while the other will remain in the donor site of extraction. Hence, the unextracted root will continue to grow in the donor while the other root that we extracted is treated as a partially transected single graft. The external appearance of such partially transected single grafts can look like doubles or two hairs growing above the epidermis (skin), which is what you’re also noticing, but they are partially transected single grafts only. Also, we do not trim down these partially transected single grafts as it increases the risk of the extracted graft getting damaged, therefore they must be implanted as it is. Going forward, you’ll see that only single hair follicles would grow from these partially transected single grafts, much to your satisfaction.

• Like 4

• Valued Contributor
4 hours ago, Eugenix Hair Sciences said:

Hello @Berba11,
We took note of your concern and discussed the same with our doctors. Rest assured, you’re growth is very much on track. The doubles that you’ve been noticing in the second row of your hairline zone, are in fact, partially transected single grafts. Partial transection happens as part of extraction in any hair transplant procedure due to the simultaneous axial & tangential forces acting on the graft while using a punch. Say for instance, a double graft can get partially transected or cut due to which only one of it’s roots will be extracted while the other will remain in the donor site of extraction. Hence, the unextracted root will continue to grow in the donor while the other root that we extracted is treated as a partially transected single graft. The external appearance of such partially transected single grafts can look like doubles or two hairs growing above the epidermis (skin), which is what you’re also noticing, but they are partially transected single grafts only. Also, we do not trim down these partially transected single grafts as it increases the risk of the extracted graft getting damaged, therefore they must be implanted as it is. Going forward, you’ll see that only single hair follicles would grow from these partially transected single grafts, much to your satisfaction.

Thanks for the info 🙏

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

UPDATE - Day 17

Whilst I was killing time I thought I'd add some comparative progress photos. The main update is that the shedding is hitting pretty hard and fast! I can noticeably feel how much thinner and softer my frontal third is by running my hand over the tops of the recipient area - it's a hell of a lot less bushy than just a few days ago! Fingers crossed that a quick shed = quick regrowth! :D I can dream, of course!

Now that there's a lot more shedding, I can also get a clearer view of the redness. Things are a little more red than I'd realised though I'd been slack on the E45 the last couple of days. Applied some this evening and had a ton of shedding. Will try to be more regular with the E45 from now on to aid the redness. Noticing a little more itchiness the last day or two having previously not really experienced any/much. Part of that seems to be because I'm gradually getting a little more sensation back in the frontal third whereas just a couple of days ago things were still very numb in the recipient area.

Everything seems to be more or less on track though. It looks likes there's a bit of shockloss on the left just behind the transplanted hairs (on the right as you look at the photos next to the number 17, but my left hand side), and the remnants of the forelock look to have been shocked out. Whether or not those areas will recover will require some time. I'm not overly bothered - they're weak areas that were always going to be susceptible to going anyway. We'll see what happens - maybe finasteride will help them in the long run, otherwise a touch-up will be needed which I'm fine with.

Pre-op.thumb.png.dbbae9a63d0b521d8de356ae9b526bdd.png

• Valued Contributor
On 12/13/2021 at 9:14 PM, MazAB said:

I could understand some doubles strategically placed in the second row to give density while still maintaining a natural look, but if they placed multi-hair grafts in the first row, I would think that is more of a mistake than by design. Definitely do what can to get the closest shot of your hairline, that will help not only with this forums input, but also a follow-up check-in with Eugenix. If I were you, I would not want to wait to put those questions / concern to rest.

I will say however, everything looks very very good with you're updated shots!

Eugenix have provided an interesting response here and to be honest, the shedding has kicked in and made everything a lot less clear the last couple of days. Ultimately I'm only going to know for sure when everything takes shape a few months from now so there's no use in me worrying about it too much. I'll be sure to get some good close ups when things are kicking off and we can better assess what's really going on!

On 12/15/2021 at 11:23 AM, Eugenix Hair Sciences said:

Hello @Berba11,

Hi @Berba11

Below you can see a typical example of a partially transected single graft wherein you can see two hairs above the skin, giving the impression that it's a double (external appearance). However, down below it has a single root and only that particular single follicle would survive and continue to grow. Hope this clarifies.

1877549619_WhatsAppImage2021-12-16at1_29_25PM.thumb.jpeg.a5451c866f806cc214817fb8132985e3.jpeg

• Like 6

• Valued Contributor
58 minutes ago, Eugenix Hair Sciences said:

Hi @Berba11

Below you can see a typical example of a partially transected single graft wherein you can see two hairs above the skin, giving the impression that it's a double (external appearance). However, down below it has a single root and only that particular single follicle would survive and continue to grow. Hope this clarifies.

1877549619_WhatsAppImage2021-12-16at1_29_25PM.thumb.jpeg.a5451c866f806cc214817fb8132985e3.jpeg

That’s brilliant & very interesting! Thanks for taking the time to respond - much appreciated! 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Valued Contributor

UPDATE - 1 Month/4 weeks/28 days Post-Op

Hi All,

Today marks exactly one month since the HT. As you can see, the main change is simply more shedding. Redness remains and the temple point work has completely vanished from the right side and 90& from the left. Not worth showing the temple points really!

The hair in the recipient area feels a bit softer than it did a couple of weeks ago. That might just be because there's less of it. The shedding has slowed a little - there's less hairs in my hand if I brush my palm through the hair and less visible hairs when showering or applying E45 cream to the area.

Some spots keep popping their ugly little yellow heads up every so often. I guess I'm now officially in the early stages of the ugly duckling phase!

IMG_4weeks_PostOp.thumb.JPG.7f09fcf06cf7f9f499f5bba5938b5b9f.JPG

• Like 4

• Valued Contributor
2 minutes ago, MazAB said:

@Berba11the good thing is that you kept a lot of hair. That should help ease the pains of the ugly phase. Looking very good!

Hi mate. Hope you're doing well brother! Happy new year to you!

I'll post a 5 week update tomorrow but yes, I seem to have retained quite a lot so far. Not a massive change since last week albeit I've tidied things with a buzz. Noticing there's less and less shedding each time I apply some aloe vera gel (which I've switched over to from E45 as of a few days ago), so hopefully a decent chunk of it sticks around, though I know a lot can change over the next few weeks! Just need to try and get the redness down & I'll be a happy bunny.

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor
7 minutes ago, MazAB said:

I'll be posting hopefully tomorrow. Got Covid over the holiday so I've been ducking out of everything and resting for the most part. Happy New Year to you as well brother!

Hope you're recovering well mate & looking forward to your latest update!

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

UPDATE - 5 weeks (35 days) post-op

Hi all - Happy New Year!

Here's a few pics from different profiles 5 weeks on since my HT. There's been a fair amount of shedding though that seems to be slowing down. The recipient area remains quite red which does makes things look a little odd but hopefully that will subside soon enough.

Donor area looks really good. I buzzed everything down to a grade 3 a few days ago. Right side is a little patchy compared to the left but I really don't care to be honest. And with a bit more length it wouldn't matter anyway. Even as it stands, most people would never know.

I'll probably just do monthly updates from here on in, so will update again at the 2 month mark.

One final thing... I've now been on finasteride for 7 months. I think I'm starting to notice some early signs that it might be working. If you look back at my update from the 12th December and compare the lowest bit of the nape to the donor pic below, I think it looks a bit fuller. Could be lighting/angles, but either way I'll use that as a comparison from here onwards. To me, it looks like the retrograde that is visible at the bottom is a bit more 'filled in'. The length of the hair are about the same as each photo was taken a day or so after a number 3 buzz.

IMG_5598_5weeksPO.JPG

IMG_5599_5weeksPO.JPG

IMG_5600_5weeksPO.JPG

IMG_5601_5weeksPO.JPG

IMG_5602_5weeks_PO.JPG

IMG_5603_5weeksPO.JPG

IMG_5_weeks_postop.JPG

• Like 2

On 12/16/2021 at 10:09 AM, Eugenix Hair Sciences said:

Hi @Berba11

Great info. How often does this happen?