ASMED, Dr Koray Erdogan, 5007 grafts 15/16 Nov 2021

Rippone

Hello everybody,

Today is day 5 of my my hair restoration journey, I had my hair transplant done at the ASMED clinic (Dr Koray Erdogan). I want to share my experience here not only because I am interested in your honest feedback, but also because I hope this can help others to decide.

This is my first post on this forum. Unfortunately, for some reasons, in my almost 1 year of research, I just now discovered this community. I went through some results posted here by other members about ASMED, and I have to say I am now freaking out. I thought I went to one of the top clinics but many of this forum are actually complaining about ASMED and how they have fallen from grace in recent years. Now I am having doubts!

The complaint that many have with ASMED, that is to say that Dr Erdogan is not very much involved in the procedure, is actually true. The clinic offer different packages and I went for the more expensive one with Dr Erdogan doing incisions. I misunderstood he was going to do the extractions too (my fault) but in reality he only came in the room few times to check how the extraction process was going. The consultation process felt a bit rushed too so I did not get a chance to talk much with the doctor, although his coordinators assigned to me were able to competently answer all of my questions. 

On the plus side, the whole staff felt very friendly and seemed very professional. The operation was done over 2 days. First day, front. Second day, mid and crown. Included in the price was transportation and staying at the clinic for 3 nights. This included food and drinks. Staff was available 24/7 in case of need. Very spacious room, comfortable and clean with private shower, TV and hospital bed. 

So, let's begin.

Hair loss pattern: Norwood 5a I guess?

Donor area: 8000+ (can't remember the exact number, it is something I want to double check with the clinic).

On Finasteride for the past 6 months.

5007 grafts done.

I continue to take Finasteride.

I will follow Dr Erdogan advice to use Minoxidil foam between months 2-4 post op. 

Here few pictures pre operation:

1151845396_PreOp1.thumb.JPG.4262425794cec0a5616b72959005aa9c.JPG

893444587_PreOp2.thumb.JPG.aa684caf917c309ea6c133ed5d767384.JPG

1962194465_PreOp5.thumb.JPG.4e60a62f4d1a87c5cb7cb28fffc9c168.JPG

_DSC9766.thumb.JPG.c15f0486e9ad47f9c1030aac8b4ff802.JPG

989695419_PreOp6.thumb.JPG.fcff892f296e824ad63c27e6a14d5a80.JPG

1455135276_PreOp7.thumb.JPG.ccc0b0ea93fdc2c5c41b6a7f5bf1273b.JPG

Edited by Rippone
  • Like 1

Looks good to me. Choosing Dr Erdogan was definitely the best option. He is actually a very skilled Dr. It’s not unusual for a Dr just to do the incision step tbh. 
Please keep us all updated, no reason why this won’t turn out really well. You have probably also seen some really good ASMED results when the Dr has been involved. Good luck man 🙏

• Like 2

@Rippone It looks like a clean job and the donor is in good condition.  Can I ask you what convinced you to go to Asmed?  Have you personally seen other guys who have had their procedure or have you seen threads on other forums?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JC71 said:

Looks good to me. Choosing Dr Erdogan was definitely the best option. He is actually a very skilled Dr. It’s not unusual for a Dr just to do the incision step tbh. 
Please keep us all updated, no reason why this won’t turn out really well. You have probably also seen some really good ASMED results when the Dr has been involved. Good luck man 🙏

22 minutes ago, Egy said:

@Rippone It looks like a clean job and the donor is in good condition.  Can I ask you what convinced you to go to Asmed?  Have you personally seen other guys who have had their procedure or have you seen threads on other forums?

Thank you both 🙏 few threads I read on this forum today made me become quite paranoid. The fact that I'm on a roller-coaster of emotions at the moment doesn't help 🙂

@Egy , what convinced me was reading patients' stories and their results in other forums, especially those of people with similar hair loss patterns as mine who needed 4/5000 grafts.

@RipponeDon't worry, from what we can see from the photos, as I said before, it looks like a clean job, your donor looks ok, not like that of @dust78 So you don't have to worry.  Sure, coming to HRN and learning that Asmed isn't that foolproof clinic you've seen on other forums, it's a little scary, but as I've always written, many forums aren't as ethical as HRN is, where they stay online. all patient threads, even messed up ones, while other forums delete unhappy patient threads.

Edited by Egy
  • Like 1

• Valued Contributor

@Rippone you are going to be fine man. The work looks really clean and your native hair has excellent characteristics for a hair transplant. Now begins the hardest part. The waiting. If you follow all of the instructions you will look great! Thanks for sharing and I look forward to seeing your updates! All the best!

• Like 3

It actually looks really clean.  Should be a great result.

cant really see any multis in the hairline either, though that is hard to tell with current photos.  Close up pictures after the scabs are gone will give a much better idea.

• Like 1

Check out my journey here:

Hello forum, 

I finally have time for an update 🙂. Today is day 12 post-op, all seems to be going in line with what I was told to expect. 

- Big swollen face until end of day 3-4, then it quickly went back to normal. By day 5 had no swelling at all, just perhaps a bit of swollen eyes after waking up for the next day or two, which quickly disappeared after standing up.

- Very very itchy and tingly head from day 3 to around day 6/7, to the point it was at times difficult to sleep at night. I also experienced a bit of pain in the donor area, which felt a bit hot at touch. Similar to the swelling of my face, after the discomfort peaked, it subsided very quickly. At the present moment, I experience a bit of tingly sensation on my transplanted area in particular in few spots around my bridge and crown area, and in my donor area, but nothing major. 

- The front part of my transplanted area still feels quite numb when touched.

- Scabs started falling by day 7-8, at day 10 were basically all gone. When washing my hair, I noticed few hair on my hands coming out with the scabs. This is to be expected.  

- Started to sleep without the need for a travel pillow from day 10. This feels so good.

Overall, I try to stay positive and focused, I have stopped reading about negative experiences in this forum. I just made an exception this morning by reading @Frustrated thread, since he posted here and got my attention. And I went into panic mode. I am now going to blast some music and try not to think about it. My co-ordinator, who had a hair transplant himself, told me that the most difficult part comes after the operation, with waiting and not knowing. I did not fully believe him, I thought I was prepared to live with this uncertainty... but I am not!

On a separate note, @Frustrated in his thread about the ASMED clinic (https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/61834-asmed-3500-grafts-7-months-in/ ) says that he was put to sleep during the incision part, without being told. I just wanted to share my experience, which was different.  During my operation, together with IV fluids, I was given some drugs (I think two between Midozolam, Alfentanil and Fentanil, cannot recall which of the two though). At every stage of my surgery I was told about any drugs I was being given and why it was being given. My pulse and heart rate was monitored. The anaesthesiologist checked on me many times to see how I was doing and asked me whether I felt discomfort and needed more drugs, it was a decision left to me, it was reassuring. On Day 1 of the operation, when I had my frontal part done, I actually felt asleep when Dr Erdogan was doing my incisions. I was very tired and relaxed. On Day 2 I remained awake.

Now, time for some photos from Day 10.

1854590463_Front(1).thumb.jpg.903e9b8473a1cbcc91dc7b9c771a1fa9.jpg

2017503787_Front(2).thumb.jpg.45ada834ea42be6535e7335077db3cfc.jpg

1317094738_Front(4).thumb.jpg.6c613ab5df5885260b8cbab21aac4871.jpg

Top.thumb.jpg.33886de112376cecdd5b62a42e8337be.jpg

1956369987_Back(1).thumb.jpg.fac40affe182971fb4e60485b5881ea5.jpg

1421019763_Back(2).thumb.jpg.a830685242541795270761c8138eb719.jpg

Edited by Rippone
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rippone said:

Hello forum, 

I finally have time for an update 🙂. Today is day 12 post-op, all seems to be going in line with what I was told to expect. 

- Big swollen face until end of day 3-4, then it quickly went back to normal. By day 5 had no swelling at all, just perhaps a bit of swollen eyes after waking up for the next day or two, which quickly disappeared after standing up.

- Very very itchy and tingly head from day 3 to around day 6/7, to the point it was at times difficult to sleep at night. I also experienced a bit of pain in the donor area, which felt a bit hot at touch. Similar to the swelling of my face, after the discomfort peaked, it subsided very quickly. At the present moment, I experience a bit of tingly sensation on my transplanted area in particular in few spots around my bridge and crown area, and in my donor area, but nothing major. 

- Scabs started falling by day 7-8, at day 10 were basically all gone. When washing my hair, I noticed few hair on my hands coming out with the scabs. This is to be expected.  

- Started to sleep without the need for a travel pillow from day 10. This feels so good.

Overall, I try to stay positive and focused, I have stopped reading about negative experiences in this forum. I just made an exception this morning by reading @Frustrated thread, since he posted here and got my attention. And I went into panic mode. I am now going to blast some music and try not to think about it. My co-ordinator, who had a hair transplant himself, told me that the most difficult part comes after the operation, with waiting and not knowing. I did not fully believe him, I thought I was prepared to live with this uncertainty... but I am not!

On a separate note, @Frustrated in his thread talked about being put to sleep during the incision part, without being told. I just wanted to share my experience, which was different.  During my operation, together with IV fluids, I was given some drugs (I think two between Midozolam, Alfentanil and Fentanil, cannot recall which of the two though). At every stage of my surgery I was told about any drugs I was being given and why it was being given. My pulse and heart rate was monitored. The anaesthesiologist checked on me many times to see how I was doing and asked me whether I felt discomfort and needed more drugs, it was a decision left to me, it was reassuring. On Day 1 of the operation, when I had my frontal part done, I actually felt asleep when Dr Erdogan was doing my incisions. I was very tired and relaxed. On Day 2 I remained awake.

Hey buddy 

I just want to wish you all the best. I do hope my case is an exception rather than the norm.

Hope the music is loud and let the growing take its course.

best wishes 🙏

Edited by Frustrated
  • Like 1

• Administrators
8 hours ago, Frustrated said:

Hope you have better luck with Asmed than I did mate. 

I’ve given you two warnings. Do not go on others threads to incite doubt. If you’re unhappy keep it on your thread. My last warning.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 11/28/2021 at 1:43 PM, Rippone said:

Hello forum, 

On a separate note, @Frustrated in his thread about the ASMED clinic (https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/61834-asmed-3500-grafts-7-months-in/ ) says that he was put to sleep during the incision part, without being told. I just wanted to share my experience, which was different.  During my operation, together with IV fluids, I was given some drugs (I think two between Midozolam, Alfentanil and Fentanil, cannot recall which of the two though). At every stage of my surgery I was told about any drugs I was being given and why it was being given. My pulse and heart rate was monitored. The anaesthesiologist checked on me many times to see how I was doing and asked me whether I felt discomfort and needed more drugs, it was a decision left to me, it was reassuring. On Day 1 of the operation, when I had my frontal part done, I actually felt asleep when Dr Erdogan was doing my incisions. I was very tired and relaxed. On Day 2 I remained awake.

Dear Rippone,

Thank you for your feedback and sharing your photos.

The appearance after the scabs looks amazing. The recipient area is clean and healthy. The donor area looks great as well - It healed and the hair started growing.

We will be here to help you at every step of the way of "Waiting Period".

Have an amazing day Rippone and all forum members and stay positive.

Warmest Regards,

Suzana Kubinek

ASMED Clinic

• Like 1

ASMED Surgical Medical Center

Dr Koray Erdogan. Istanbul, Turkey

- For info, evaluations and quotations: htn@asmed.com.tr

- Telephone Contacts (Numbers active in working time and 24h for urgencies):

Main number : (+90) 216 464 11 11

USA: (+1) 8454612049

UK: (+44) 2035191146

- Free online consultation: Online Consultation Form

- For additional information on our clinic, cost and photos:

Asmed Hair Transplant Official Website

- Our Official Facebook Page

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
12 minutes ago, sedan said:

Closely watching this report, I absolutely love the aggressive mature hairline that this Dr does. @Melvin- Moderator Is yours exactly like this? What is the CM from centre to glabella for you and for corners to eyebrow?

Looks very similar. It’s 7cm.

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Hello forum,

Today is the 28th day of this journey. When I look at the long road ahead, feels like time is standing still! I sometime go through some of other people's excellent results on here and I daydream 😅 

I'm in the middle of my ugly duckling phase. I started shedding noticeably perhaps around day 21 (or a bit earlier maybe, not sure). It is a quite scary stage ... I'm trying not to look at myself in the mirror 😁

The redness is still quite evident. The frontal part of the transplanted area still feels quite numb. 

As prescribed by Dr Asmed, I'll be now using Minoxidil foam (Regaine) for the next 3 months.

I continue to take Finasteride of course.

Here some pictures:

20211214_175049.thumb.jpg.462ca98324f43f68cba5b12dcd5aa68a.jpg

20211214_174945.thumb.jpg.dee37bc40a0efee676b88f3ed44f092a.jpg

20211214_174936.thumb.jpg.2d444b5e23d75754962c8f1b5d6e0854.jpg

Edited by Rippone
  • Like 1

On 12/8/2021 at 4:44 PM, sedan said:

What is the CM from centre to glabella for you and for corners to eyebrow?

7 cm for me as well from the centre to the glabella. 

From corners to eyebrow, if I am measuring it correctly, 8-9 cm. 

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone, 

It has been a while since my last post here and I just wanted to provide few pictures as a way of updating y'all. Any feedback is most welcome :)

Let's start with a photo from the 2nd month.

20220113_103943.thumb.jpg.500e000e41e49e57de7e11b69b888a9a.jpg

• Like 1

And now some pictures taken at the 3rd month. Not sure you can see much. I can see some grow coming in the frontal area. Not sure what is happening in the crown area though, seems to be lagging a bit behind.

20220216_153828.thumb.jpg.54edf521157ff4864ad8cb0c0d5c609f.jpg

20220216_154058.thumb.jpg.9256d82459c4b52bf6355e27c30de0f9.jpg

20220216_153854.thumb.jpg.b2eccaea3002ac6c99dd490a70cfdc78.jpg

20220216_153929.thumb.jpg.f95d57b858760ebb7dbb2419ec67fa57.jpg

20220216_154039.thumb.jpg.1907a1da4c481b47705f6a44453c1a9d.jpg

• Like 2

This is looking like good progress for such a early stage ! Most people won’t even start to have growth until month 4. And crowns are notoriously slower to start growing back in. It’s quite usual to see improvements in the crown beyond month 12 (sometimes up to month 18) 

• Like 1