I'm getting SMP done after 15 hair transplants. Donor area , October 14th and 18th, 2021

Hey Guys,

After having a horrible SMP experience with a surgeon I rather not name I have decided to get SMP done in my entire donor area with Mirko from Men's Ink in Milan the 14th and 18th this month. My friends results have been outstanding with him.

The previous SMP turned blue (was done with with wrong ink and depth) but it was thankfully just on the right side as a test and I have had 2 Picoway laser treatments to remove it.

Mirko has been very patient with me as we have had to change the dates several times with Covid and I am glad it's finally happening.

I have had over 10.000 extractions and 2 repairs by Dr Mwamba (Fit Farming) with great results. I am only doing this so I can extended my donor area a little more and hopefully get another 750 grafts to complete a last surgery next year. Yes, SMP will allow for further extractions if done properly and you can then pigment those last ones in a second pass.

I also plan on doing the recipient area next year for density effect!

I'll keep you posted with results.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, mustang said:

last surgery

Uh huh, sure! haha!

I'm thinking about SMP, too. I just wish it was a longer term solution. What's the expected time before it needs to be refreshed?

13 hours ago, Gatsby said:

@mustang just make sure that your last surgery was at least twelve months prior to SMP. Otherwise the ink will migrate into any linear scars as the scars change as they heal. Wishing you all the best!

Thanks man!!,

I am not sure I follow your post. I understand that a prudent time for proper skin healing has to be respected before adding ink just like you have to protect your skin from the sun for 3-4 months but I don't see how a FUE 0.8mm punch scar will change for better or worse after 4 months. 

Both from medical literature and surgeons advice 6 months is more than enough to get SMP done but I might be wrong, anecdotal experiences are of value to me. I do not have linear scars.

Edited by mustang

18 hours ago, MachoVato said:

Uh huh, sure! haha!

I'm thinking about SMP, too. I just wish it was a longer term solution. What's the expected time before it needs to be refreshed?

SMP generally needs a touchup every 5-7 years. A touch up is just that though, it’s not entirely doing it all over, so the cost will be much lower. For example where I went it was $2500 to get SMP done over 2 sessions, and touchups cost $700. 

Edited by EvoXOhio
  • Like 3

• Valued Contributor
8 hours ago, mustang said:

Thanks man!!,

I am not sure I follow your post. I understand that a prudent time for proper skin healing has to be respected before adding ink just like you have to protect your skin from the sun for 3-4 months but I don't see how a FUE 0.8mm punch scar will change for better or worse after 4 months. 

Both from medical literature and surgeons advice 6 months is more than enough to get SMP done but I might be wrong, anecdotal experiences are of value to me. I do not have linear scars.

I’m going on the advice of Caitlin James. She performed my SMP and also works in hair transplantation. I understand your point by I am going on her advice. She is a world renowned and internationally awarded SMP artist. 

Cool, good luck @mustang! Man, what a journey...

• Like 1

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

On 10/9/2021 at 9:47 PM, MachoVato said:

Uh huh, sure! haha!

I had mine done three years ago (it'll be four years next August) and it still looks great. the place i went to said that it usually lasts around six years and then you need a touch up. I'm probably going to go in sooner than six years. I don't want to take a chance on it fading. I have some nasty transplant scarring on the top of my head that has been covered up by SMP. So, I don't want to take any chances. Touch ups aren't than much. So, I can deal with having one every 4-6 years.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Scarhelp said:

I had mine done three years ago (it'll be four years next August) and it still looks great. the place i went to said that it usually lasts around six years and then you need a touch up. I'm probably going to go in sooner than six years. I don't want to take a chance on it fading. I have some nasty transplant scarring on the top of my head that has been covered up by SMP. So, I don't want to take any chances. Touch ups aren't than much. So, I can deal with having one every 4-6 years.

You should consider implanting BHT on them. I did that on the nada larger areas and they are gone 

Alright gents. I’m on the train to Milan, will be there in an hour. Here are some pictures before the session after almost 1.300 grafts extracted from Bruno Ferreira totaling 10.500 extractions. 

AE3C8569-DD85-410C-9596-319FC1A9C2BC.png

0EF3FD96-DE4B-441F-B226-CEC4C968EA7C.png

3818B3CF-84B7-418F-9C2A-AD6D5F630D82.png

• Like 3

First session done. I fell asleep. Absolutely painless.

Mirko is extremely friendly and most importantly extremely professional. 

It's looking a little red. I'll upload some pics after the second session on Monday with the same light and angles.

IMG-1105.PNG

Edited by mustang
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, mustang said:

You should consider implanting BHT on them. I did that on the nada larger areas and they are gone 

I had a bunch of hair transplants- the results were less than stellar. It's why after 20 years of transplant work I said F' it and did SMP.

• Like 1

First...   Mustang..    You got some serious good hair on top.     Congrats.   

And wow...  To cut your hair buzz fade after having HT's...   And still looks great.  

Cant tell the smp done in those updated pics,   guess the job was done really really good.   Still a little redness.     

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

It will be very red for two to three days. By the second session the SMP will have settled in to give the artist and idea on how SMP takes to your skin. The third and final session will finish up and solidify your final result. It's going to look great @mustang! All the best!

Thanks guys!!

It's looking awesome already

Dots are extremely small, you can almost not see them but the difference is immediate, it looks like my donor had never been harvested which is crazy 

For the second session Mirko will use a lighter pigment for the lower parts so it looks a little thinner, again, this is experience working it's magic.

The only downside is I was recommended not to sweat and my daily cardio routine has been replaced by long walks in Milan. Not bad to taste some gelato and the always delicious Italian food.

• Like 3

Yes, 1ML once a week.

Sometimes I cycle it and stop for a month. Sometimes I boost it and do 3 times a week until shedding stops and then back to once a week

I am not the most constant person with treatments but hair is looking better than ever so it's definitely worked.

I could probably push it further with Minoxidil and CB0301 and Mesotherapy but I am completely happy with my current density, don't want more funnily enough. 

I will say it's a powerful drug and less is more. Use with caution. 

Edited by mustang
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1