My upcoming surgery with Eugenix of India and Dr. Arika Bansal

8 hours ago, MazAB said:

Looking good Kirkland! Very happy to see that everything is doing well on the healing front. You are doing all the right things, including the Infrared light therapy. My only concern is that the duration may be too much for newly implanted grafts. If you have any data that pertains to longer LLLT sessions early on after a transplant, I'd love to see it. I fell short in finding much of any myself. With at said, I'm also using LLLT in the same fashion. Bought an LED Infrared bulb, attached it to a light stand, and prop it over my head. Works like a charm, however, to air on the side of caution, I waited a full month before starting any LLLT, and am taking a conservative approach doing it daily in 5 minute sessions. I was so frustrated not finding any data, that I called into "The Bald Truth". JT mentioned to me that in the first month the grafts are so fragile, and advised to steer clear of LLLT in the first month. However, he did also say that after the first 30 days, very limited exposure would probably be fine. With how good Eugenix is at what they do, my philosophy is that it'll all grow no matter what, so let me only do the things that have clear and defined data backing them, and the hair will come!😉

You are right - dosimetry parameters matter. It's not that LLLT is bad - just too much can be damaging to the tissue. My purpose for using LLLT so early in the post-HT treatment cycle is to reduce erythema. Since I had a moderate case of semi-permanent erythema (due to my SMP treatment in 2015) going into the surgery, I wanted to use LLLT for improved angiogenesis in the hopes that in the process of creating new blood vessels for the transplant, the existing abnormally dilated blood vessels would be repaired through improved fibroblast proliferation and growth factors. This study, though a small sample size (n=22 for both red light (633 nm) and infrared light 830 nm group which is generally the same wavelengths of the LED in the unit I am using), shows a statistically significant improvement in collagen and elastin formation with a daily dose of 20 minutes of both red and infrared light wavelength. It doesn't mention specifically any net benefits to neovascularization per se but suggests that LED light therapy may enhance intercellular communication. I am going to go back to my original schedule of 20 mins/day at a distance of 10 cm from light source.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17566756/

Edited by kirkland
  • Like 1

Now two weeks out from my surgery. Donor and recipient areas are looking good. All discomfort in the donor area is now gone. Some minor sensation has returned to the recipient area but still, for the most part, feels numb (to be expected). The redness in the recipient area is still prominent but has diminished somewhat. Really not looking forward to the ugly duckling stage because it looks so damn good at this point!

20211024_123555_2.jpg

20211024_123648_2.jpg

20211024_123458_2.jpg

20211024_085453_exported_33810.jpg

Edited by kirkland
  • Like 4

@kirkland your video on the Eugenix YouTube channel popped into my feed today! Loved seeing your video and hopefully more in the future! Your hair is looking so good!

Thanks again for sharing your experience with Eugenix. I was already feeling good about Eugenix after reading a lot of results here but your thread is what made me ultimately choose Eugenix. 

• Like 5

On 10/25/2021 at 8:17 PM, kirkland said:

Now two weeks out from my surgery. Donor and recipient areas are looking good. All discomfort in the donor area is now gone. Some minor sensation has returned to the recipient area but still, for the most part, feels numb (to be expected). The redness in the recipient area is still prominent but has diminished somewhat. Really not looking forward to the ugly duckling stage because it looks so damn good at this point!

20211024_123555_2.jpg

20211024_123648_2.jpg

20211024_123458_2.jpg

20211024_085453_exported_33810.jpg

Trust me, even if you know about the ugly duckling phase, it is still gonna hit you like a brick.Months 2 and 3 are gonna be really difficult. 

Edited by Mggm
  • Like 1

Yes I can relate to this ..for my first procedure end 2019 the ugly duckling phase hit around the 2 month mark but it wasn’t a big deal at all as I entered into the process as a slick bald guy and I was buzzing my hair even 2 months out ..however this time around with procedure 2 it’s much more uncomfortable ..reason being ive been enjoying lots of hair for the last nearly 2 years and now it appears some of the transplanted hair from HT1 have been shocked out along with the shedding from HT2 ...I’m not buzzing this time around also ..lots of hat wearing for the next 2 months ..🤠

• Like 4

On 10/22/2021 at 1:39 PM, kirkland said:

You are right - dosimetry parameters matter. It's not that LLLT is bad - just too much can be damaging to the tissue. My purpose for using LLLT so early in the post-HT treatment cycle is to reduce erythema. Since I had a moderate case of semi-permanent erythema (due to my SMP treatment in 2015) going into the surgery, I wanted to use LLLT for improved angiogenesis in the hopes that in the process of creating new blood vessels for the transplant, the existing abnormally dilated blood vessels would be repaired through improved fibroblast proliferation and growth factors. This study, though a small sample size (n=22 for both red light (633 nm) and infrared light 830 nm group which is generally the same wavelengths of the LED in the unit I am using), shows a statistically significant improvement in collagen and elastin formation with a daily dose of 20 minutes of both red and infrared light wavelength. It doesn't mention specifically any net benefits to neovascularization per se but suggests that LED light therapy may enhance intercellular communication. I am going to go back to my original schedule of 20 mins/day at a distance of 10 cm from light source.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17566756/

thanks a lot for clarifying previously asked questions targeted at eugenix and for sharing this info here. given the fact that you have done more than 30 (!) years of research i am sure you will be able to further share umpteen of precious insights into all aspects of an ht that you gained over this period...

Good luck mate. Eugenix is a great clinic to choose. I would like to ask why you did not touch the crown on this procedure? I mean you could put around 1500 beard grafts there and cover it too. Because usually eugenix covers large areas of big norwood with beard grafts too.

Edited by AZ67

• Valued Contributor
14 minutes ago, AZ67 said:

Good luck mate. Eugenix is a great clinic to choose. I would like to ask why you did not touch the crown on this procedure? I mean you could put around 1500 beard grafts there and cover it too. Because usually eugenix covers large areas of big norwood with beard grafts too.

I think you will find that with the medication that kirkland is on that the crown probably won't need those grafts! 😉 👍

20 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

I think you will find that with the medication that kirkland is on that the crown probably won't need those grafts! 😉 👍

Medication does not ensure that it will grow back lost hair. Medication most probably will give stabillity. If he's lucky then medication will help regrow hair. So let's see then.

8 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

Have a look at zoomster's crown. Either way kirkland has a lot grafts in the bank.

Every case is different. Most people just get stabillity from medication and dont regrow their lost hair. Anyway If medication won't help him he can fix it with a second hair transplant. So it's not a problem as soon as he has donor to fix it.

• Administrators

I feel like we have the HRN connection here @MazAB @Zoomster @kirkland haha it's so nice to see you guys on YouTube. Pretty soon we'll have @Gatsby as well, oh and me haha 😛 

• Like 7

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 11/1/2021 at 6:29 AM, AZ67 said:

Honestly, the crown is not important to me and I mentioned that to Dr. Bansal. I'm certain that over time, I will go back for a touch up and perhaps have work done in the crown but it won't be an urgency for me.

• Like 2

I hear ya @kirkland as far as how the mind will play tricks on you. Last month when the shedding was in full stride for me I kept thinking not enough graphs were implanted into the less dense areas, haha! Not an easy process parting with the closest representation of a final result that you'll see months to come.😅As they say the quicker the shed, the quicker the growth.

Everything looks nice and clean and scab free as far as I can tell. Looking good man!

• Thanks 1