Strip Scar Revision help

Hi,

I am new here so if this is not the proper place for this topic please let me know.

I am looking for help with my strip scar. I have a large scar that runs from ear to ear. I have already had SMP and it is one of the best things that I have ever done. It has honestly changed my life. However, I am still bothered by my strip scar. My friends and family tell me that it isn't noticeable especially since my SMP. However, I notice it because it's my head. I am wondering if there are any procedures that can be done to eliminate the scar altogether or at least to make it thinner. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. And if anyone knows of anyone in the New York area who could help me that would be even better. Thanks ahead of time.

Edited by Scarhelp

You can always use FUE to place grafts into the strip scar. They can be from the traditional donor area or beard grafts. As long as you go to a quality surgeon, they have much experience placing grafts into scar tissue and getting excellent growth. Just do your research so you choose wisely. 

Bosley 11-2016 FUE 1,407 grafts        Dr. Diep 09-2017 FUE 2,024 grafts

Dr. Konior 03-2020 FUE 2,076 grafts

Dr. Konior 09-2021 FUE 697 scalp to scalp, FUE 716 beard to beard

Total FUE scalp grafts 6,204 over 5 years *Finasteride use for over 20 years, minoxidil for 5 years, RU58841 since 06-2021*

Typically I read this type of post when the scar is wide.  If it is not wide and it's within an acceptable range, I would leave it alone.  Putting grafts into the scar is a good way to camouflage and a combo with SMP even better - but you've already done that.  If the scar is wide however, you do have a couple of options.  First is to do a revision or another FUT transplant.  Ask the doctor to use the old scar as a border and thus creating a new scar.  (The question does become, why did it widen the first time? Lack of elasticity? Went to the gym too soon)?

Regardless of what you choose, if you invade the skin for whatever reason, a scar will form.  If FUE, ask what size punch they'll be using.  Anything larger than .9mm will be noticeable.

How long ago did you do the SMP? Once the body metabolizes the ink, you may have to retouch.  Just something to keep in mind.

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

• 1 month later...

I haven't had grafts put into my scar, but I have had SMP on the scar. It does look better, but it still drives me crazy and does make me insecure at times. I had my first HT back in 1998. The technology wasn't that good back then. So, the severity of the scar wasn't from rushing back to the gym too soon (I'm not that stupid). It was from the places that I went to. In 1998 just about every place I know of was still using the strip scar method, and since I am not a good healer the scar is still rather large. I'm surprised that no one has recommended anyone that is good at fixing this type of thing. If anyone can help me out I'd be very appreciative.

Dr Konior is great with strip scars and revisions. Chicago Hair Institute 

Bosley 11-2016 FUE 1,407 grafts        Dr. Diep 09-2017 FUE 2,024 grafts

Dr. Konior 03-2020 FUE 2,076 grafts

Dr. Konior 09-2021 FUE 697 scalp to scalp, FUE 716 beard to beard

Total FUE scalp grafts 6,204 over 5 years *Finasteride use for over 20 years, minoxidil for 5 years, RU58841 since 06-2021*

You said you are in the New York area, so if I were you I would check out Dr Bloxham (Feller and Bloxham) for a possible scar reduction. Dr Bloxham has been doing some excellent FUT work and has been getting some very good, barely noticeable FUT scars. There are also several other Drs in NY who do FUT work and should be able to do FUT scar reductions as well if you want to check them out including Dr Robert Dorin, Dr Carols Wesley, and Dr Robert Bernstein