Concealing after hair transplant - HELP!

Hey everyone,

Really need your help. I am 3 weeks post op and had my recipient area shaved. I am definitely looking like an ugly duckling and wearing a hat constantly. I am fortunate that I was able to take off enough time for this as I wanted to be super-confidential. Problem is I am returning to work next week an although I have hairs on top of my head in the recipient area, they are so sparse, short and thin that from just a few feet it looks more bald than anything. Plus the hair around my head is getting longer to conceal the donor scar which makes the top even more apparent/noticeable.

I have been trying to find all of the posts on concealing a HT and just wondering if Nanogen or Toppik might be a good option to try or if anyone has any other tricks up their sleeve. Dermatch works great on the scar but I need a little bit of coverage on top (not a lot but just engough to make it look thinning not bald).

Any ideas? I am sure there are posts I have not found but any help would be much appreciated. I am kind of freaking out. Is Toppik safe 3 weeks post op?

Hey everyone,

Really need your help. I am 3 weeks post op and had my recipient area shaved. I am definitely looking like an ugly duckling and wearing a hat constantly. I am fortunate that I was able to take off enough time for this as I wanted to be super-confidential. Problem is I am returning to work next week an although I have hairs on top of my head in the recipient area, they are so sparse, short and thin that from just a few feet it looks more bald than anything. Plus the hair around my head is getting longer to conceal the donor scar which makes the top even more apparent/noticeable.

I have been trying to find all of the posts on concealing a HT and just wondering if Nanogen or Toppik might be a good option to try or if anyone has any other tricks up their sleeve. Dermatch works great on the scar but I need a little bit of coverage on top (not a lot but just engough to make it look thinning not bald).

Any ideas? I am sure there are posts I have not found but any help would be much appreciated. I am kind of freaking out. Is Toppik safe 3 weeks post op?

I know how you feel, I'm trying to keep my recent HT low-key as well. I go back to work this Wednesday and I'm crossing my fingers that my donor scar will be concealed enough to not draw attention.

I would think by 3 weeks post-op it would be safe to apply concealer to your recipient area, but I would call and ask your HT doctor to be sure.

If it is safe, using Dermatch on the recipient area with a little Toppik or Nanogen on top may do the trick. Good luck :-)

-Vasilius

Can you trim it down, buzz style or shave it? If it was done by a top doc, the scar should be fading in a couple or three months; but the recipient area should be fairly undetectable from the shots I've seen and based on my own experience.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

well I am probably going to consider shaving it. I have to go back to work on Monday and I am really nervous. Has anyone ever applied Dermatch to the recipient area? I am wondering if applying it lightly would help.

Hello Edge,I was just reading this topic and thought I'd chime in real quick.I highly recommend Dermatch.Not only for the recipient area,but for the donor area as well.I was told I could use it as early as 10 days after surgery,I did with no probs.As long as you can get as close to your natural color as possible,this should help you out huge as it did for me.Just try not to apply too much.If you do,just rinse with water and press a towel on it,as this will remove the excess Dermatch.Since you have to return to work so soon,you should get it,and practice.After I apply it,I comb it through,then blowdry.To help with the chalky look,I add some stuff called SoSilk,silk drops to help make is shine back up,This might be good for you instead of gell since you just had your surgery,I would hold off on the Nioxin gell,recommended because it is nonalcohol.

1st HT 1973 FUT's with Dr.Robert Mcclellan 6/28/2007

*unfortunately I have no info on hair count on my 1st surgery ..

2nd HT 3026 FUT's with Dr. Bernadino Arocha 1/9/2014

1's - 797

2's - 3700

3's - 246

5634 hairs

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/attachment.php?attachmentid=54945&d=1389315686

3026 FUTs 1 day HT#2 post op frontal picture

Concealers should not cause complications at 3 weeks post-op ??“ not in terms of the health of your scalp or the survival of your grafts. If you have hair in the recipient area, concealers should give a positive boost to your scalp coverage.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Great topic guys. Thank you!

I live in Ontario for the next month and I'd like to get Dermatch and Toppic.

Can you specifically tell me where the best places to order or purchase these products? In store? Ordrer On line?

Very much appreciated guys! Also, positive comments on Dermatch for cover up. How about toppic?

From my experience urdaddy, you have to buy them online. I used dermatch for a bit, I found it pulled my hairs pretty hard, and felt uncomfortable about that. But the guys on here seem to do much better with it than me. As far as a "bald spot", Toppik is the way to go... but it is pricey.

800+- Bosley NY, June 2005

1300+- Dr. Feller, December 2008

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1021

We should be on here to help and look out for each other, not to make someone feel worse about their situation.

Yeah buddy, they are both "concealers", in that they conceal or hide... whatever it is you're trying to hide. The difference between them is pretty great though. Dermatch is kind of a powder that you apply almost like you were applying make up (it even comes in a make up case). It takes some getting used, the application process is just that... a process. As for Toppik, the idea of it is much simpler, but I'm not sure it's as effective as Dermatch is by someone who mastered it. It's definitely easier though, I don't think anyone will deny that. For the scar area though, I'd go with Dermatch.

800+- Bosley NY, June 2005

1300+- Dr. Feller, December 2008

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1021

We should be on here to help and look out for each other, not to make someone feel worse about their situation.