Hair Transplant Needed, I'm an American who wants to travel abroad, Turkey perhaps

58 minutes ago, Saab said:

Yes, exactly. And for some reason I got the impression that in USA they still prefer the strip method and FUE is considered a novelty technique so they charge extra for it. While it Europe it is a widely used method 

As a guy who has had 2 fue procedures I can tell you that fut is not an outdated technique at all. Go look at any patient in real life who has had 4-5000 or more grafts extracted with fue and you will be able to see a clear visual impact on the donor. Fut results in higher yield, healthier grafts, and more lifetime grafts.

my advice is to go to a doctor that performs and excels at both. Fut only or fue only clinics will be biased in their technique. The fact is that each case must be tailored individually per patient needs.

• Like 2

I have had x2 FUT and also x3 FUE procedures. Both definitely have there place depending on individual need. Infact what I’m seeing is more combo transplants where both FUT/FUE are done at the same time. Dr Bisanga does these particularly well. 

Or for those wanting to maximise their donor area to the full and go for a large FUT session then Hattingen could be considered. 

Edited by JohnAC71

3 hours ago, Saab said:

Finasteride will affect my testosterone

This is incorrect.  Finasteride inhibits testosterone from converting to DHT (dihydrotestosterone).  Testosterone levels are not lowered, in fact a small increase of testosterone has been noticed among users of finasteride. 

4 hours ago, Saab said:

And for some reason I got the impression that in USA they still prefer the strip method and FUE is considered a novelty technique so they charge extra for it. While it Europe it is a widely used method 

Go to a clinic that does both FUT and FUE.  That way you know they will perform the procedure that is right for you, not just the one they are more comfortable with.  

• Like 2

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

17 hours ago, aaron1234 said:

This is incorrect.  Finasteride inhibits testosterone from converting to DHT (dihydrotestosterone).  Testosterone levels are not lowered, in fact a small increase of testosterone has been noticed among users of finasteride. 

Go to a clinic that does both FUT and FUE.  That way you know they will perform the procedure that is right for you, not just the one they are more comfortable with.  

Yes, as the number of grafts is increasing so does the scar area. At this point the biggest mistake on my side would be going for the procedure too early while hair loss is still underway 

20 hours ago, JohnAC71 said:

I’m definitely not the best person to talk about Fin. All I can say is it’s literally the only thing that will help retain your hair. Check out some of the forums threads, there are literally hundreds. It’s up to you of course but most people are fine taking it. Others may get sides and then stop or switch to topical. 
I don’t take it as I was ok accepting my Norwood 6 and besides it would have had contra-indications with other meds I took. 
Its worth considering and definitely researching some more. From what I can see from your pics is you have a limited amount of hair to retain.

If you do consider it then definitely talk to your own Dr/GP.

So many people complain about Finasteride, it's hard see what is the real percentage of those negatively affected. It will be nice to hear from someone who takes Fin 

20 hours ago, JohnAC71 said:

I have had x2 FUT and also x3 FUE procedures. Both definitely have there place depending on individual need. Infact what I’m seeing is more combo transplants where both FUT/FUE are done at the same time. Dr Bisanga does these particularly well. 

Or for those wanting to maximise their donor area to the full and go for a large FUT session then Hattingen could be considered. 

Two procedures at once? May I ask at what age you decided to go for a transplant? Should I wait? 44 years of age in soon

Edited by Saab

20 hours ago, 5BetaReductase said:

As a guy who has had 2 fue procedures I can tell you that fut is not an outdated technique at all. Go look at any patient in real life who has had 4-5000 or more grafts extracted with fue and you will be able to see a clear visual impact on the donor. Fut results in higher yield, healthier grafts, and more lifetime grafts.

my advice is to go to a doctor that performs and excels at both. Fut only or fue only clinics will be biased in their technique. The fact is that each case must be tailored individually per patient needs.

Hey, at what age did you do your procedures? Do you take Fin or Minox? 

On 7/29/2021 at 3:24 PM, Doron Harati said:

Hi @Saab, our clinic HDC is located in Cyprus near to Greece, our surgeries done by our MDs Dr.Maras and Dr.Christina, you can see many of our results on this forum and on our Facebook and Instagram pages, for consultation you can PM or my WhatsApp +972526542654

Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/326632715435825/?ref=share

HDC Instegram: https://instagram.com/doronhairadvisor_hdc?utm_medium=copy_link

Thank you for your information, will definitely check your website

20 hours ago, makehairgreatagain said:

You should go with a doctor you trust and will be the best fit for you. Money shouldn't be the main deciding factor as you could end up with a result you hate and then half to get repair work done. Hair transplants have been around decades here in the US and there is a lot of competition, so much in fact that you'll see the term "hair mill" used globally since it's such a big business. The strip method or FUT is extremely effective and many top doctors use it to this day. I myself have had 2 FUT procedures with excellent results. There's pros and cons to both FUT and FUE which should be evaluated with whomever you choose to go to. FUT has been around before FUE but that doesn't make it outdated. If you want to see outdated, search Juris Flap and you'll see an outdated method.

Someone mentioned Doctor Erdogan clinic ASMED, I've heard about them before. It's just do you know anything about the safety of these medical procedures in Turkey and let's say comparing them to Greece or Cyprus, where is it safer?

20 hours ago, Saab said:

Yes, I have pics too. I was told that 1500-2000 grafts. My budget is 15 000 dollars 

Looking at your pics, I would budget for 3,000 grafts. Even with that number, your budget permits for top shelf doctors. Spain (Lorenzo, De Freitas, Vila), Portugal (Ferreira, Pinto), Belgium (Bisanga, Lupanzula, Mwamba, Feriduni), Turkey (HLC, Pekiner), and some others like Dr. Maras in Cyprus. I'm forgetting a bunch, but these are all exceptional doctors. To get this level in the US, you're doubling your price/graft.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MachoVato said:

Looking at your pics, I would budget for 3,000 grafts. Even with that number, your budget permits for top shelf doctors. Spain (Lorenzo, De Freitas, Vila), Portugal (Ferreira, Pinto), Belgium (Bisanga, Lupanzula, Mwamba, Feriduni), Turkey (HLC, Pekiner), and some others like Dr. Maras in Cyprus. I'm forgetting a bunch, but these are all exceptional doctors. To get this level in the US, you're doubling your price/graft.

Thank you for your estimate. What do you think is the risk in terms of medical liability? In USA people believe that foreign doctors should not be trusted because in USA the liability is very important, doctors have to buy very expensive insurance policies and because of that they can by taken to court if they make a mistake. Have you heard anything about some major hair transplant negligence/bad practice problems with top doctors in  Spain, Portugal or Turkey?

30 minutes ago, Saab said:

Thank you for your estimate. What do you think is the risk in terms of medical liability? In USA people believe that foreign doctors should not be trusted because in USA the liability is very important, doctors have to buy very expensive insurance policies and because of that they can by taken to court if they make a mistake. Have you heard anything about some major hair transplant negligence/bad practice problems with top doctors in  Spain, Portugal or Turkey?

You would struggle big time trying to take a HT doctor to court (and getting anything out of it) for lazily botching your entire head, nevermind for a mistake or two. That goes for the US also; if you have bad work done in either the states or Europe, then you've really got no legal recourse. I wouldn't even factor this into your decision making. Just pick a great surgeon and you won't have to worry about negligence. Growth, amazing results etc aren't guaranteed with anyone, even with the best, but a good surgeon will do whatever they can to find out why and make things right should the results not be as expected for some reason. 

Also, in regards to hair transplants, it's really not a case of domestic doctors are better. I'm from the UK and it's the same thing; people stay in England to have theirs done as they think that this means they are in good hands. It couldn't be further from the truth, the truth is that the number of HT surgeons/clinics worldwide who are actually experts and consistently do good work day in day out is probably on the lower side of double digit figures. Within any single country, you're lucky to get a handful who are great. Most HT surgeons/clinics around the world, (U.S. included, U.K included) are cowboys after a quick buck. There are some good ones in each country too, but percentage wise out of the hundreds/thousands of clinics in each, it's low. Just like every country. 

So, yes, there are many many cases of major hair transplant negligence in Spain, Portugal, Turkey, Belgium, UK, U.S. and so on. It's just that these specific countries (Spain, Portugal and Belgium) currently have a handful of world class doctors doing impeccable work between them, hence the recommendation. 99 percent of clinics in these countries are still going to be god awful though, as there will be thousands between them, its just that there are the previously mentioned surgeons located there that are very good. @MachoVato's list is spot on in my opinion. The best (at least for FUE and in general regardless) in Europe and certainly also some of the best in the world. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saab said:

Yeah, I haven't heard any case where a European hair clinic was taken to court. At the same time, a hair transplant isn't exactly a high-risk procedure. You will be given local anesthesia to numb the skin, but you won't be put to sleep. With clinics at this level, you will be dealing with doctors not assistants/technicians. Nothing is risk free, but it's low risk. And these doctors all have the ethics to offer free fixes in the case of a poor result. 

That said.... I don't want to scare you but this story is a great read. This patient @Doron Harati almost lost his life and is now an advisor for Dr. Maras in Cyprus. 

Edited by MachoVato
  • Like 1

Thanks @MachoVato, I sued the local representative of Arenamed along with 4 more extremely disappointed paitents, those reps tried to bully me and shut me for sharing my story but I guess it didn't work for them.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Doron Harati - Patient coordinator for HDC Hair Clinic, HT procedures are done by MD Doctors with Microscope FUE.

For consultation contact me: WhatsApp +972526542654

Mail:doronhdc@gmail.com

HDC Instegram: https://instagram.com/doronhairadvisor_hdc?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

* All comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice, all comments are only the personal opinions of the poster.

1 hour ago, Doron Harati said:

Thanks @MachoVato, I sued the local representative of Arenamed along with 4 more extremely disappointed paitents, those reps tried to bully me and shut me for sharing my story but I guess it didn't work for them.

Thanks for the info!

2 hours ago, MachoVato said:

Yeah, I haven't heard any case where a European hair clinic was taken to court. At the same time, a hair transplant isn't exactly a high-risk procedure. You will be given local anesthesia to numb the skin, but you won't be put to sleep. With clinics at this level, you will be dealing with doctors not assistants/technicians. Nothing is risk free, but it's low risk. And these doctors all have the ethics to offer free fixes in the case of a poor result. 

That said.... I don't want to scare you but this story is a great read. This patient @Doron Harati almost lost his life and is now an advisor for Dr. Maras in Cyprus. 

Good to know, thanks

5 hours ago, Saab said:

So many people complain about Finasteride, it's hard see what is the real percentage of those negatively affected. It will be nice to hear from someone who takes Fin 

I've been taking it for 15 years with no problem.  

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

On 8/2/2021 at 10:19 PM, MachoVato said:

And these doctors all have the ethics to offer free fixes in the case of a poor result. 

Respectfully disagree. My own experience (reviewed on this site) has shown that even a self-proclaimed "world class" doctor that I went to (Lupanzula) simply isn't  interested in even talking with the patient, at the time when it becomes obvious that the transplant is not working. Such a patient is an inconvenience, and the clinic hopes they will just go away quietly and keep their mouth shut. And they will tell you little white lies, string you along, give you false hope, false promises etc to buy themselves time.

Don't expect warm, comforting post-operation support if things don't turn out right. You're largely on your own.

Edited by baalloss