What is the truth behind the ARTAS Robot?

Doesn't seem like this state of the art machine is mentioned much in these forums. I'm curious if we could get some doctors to chime in. Recently I spoke to a local clinic who swears by the machine as they do not even do manual FUE. The representative also told me that the transection rate is very low and the results are amazing. Meanwhile I've read about how the robot actually has a HIGHER graft transection rate than the regular manual FUE. What's the truth?

I think in a recent interview with Melvin, Dr. Jerry Wong from Hasson & Wong said that the clinic purchased the ARTAS robot years ago but it is now collecting dust in a spare room.  He did not seem impressed with its ability to extract good quality grafts, i.e. its transection rate was high.  

• Like 2

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

• Administrators

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Good thing to remember that while people talk about the diameter of the punch being X amount, the area that's actually punched out will actually be a lot larger.

So while 0.75mm is 75% of 1mm, the area of 0.75mm diameter punch is something more like 55% of 1mm punch. 

Edited by deeznuts

Seems to me like the overwhelming response is rather negative over the years.  A 1-1.25mm punch?? NO thank you.

I know Bernstein, one of the top HT docs in the entire world uses it pretty frequently if not regularly, which is surprising considering the machines reputation.