Dr. Zarev 7070 + 3613 grafts

7 hours ago, Prof101 said:

@HugoX

Congrats. Fantastic.

Question:

Are you buzzing the lower sides and back?  (about an inch or two around your ears and all he way back). If so why? I wonder whether it is an aesthetic choice due to thinning of donor area. Either way, its looks good. Nothing wrong with it.

Also did he tell you your density FU/Cm2? 

Yes, I have been trimming my own hair on and off to try and see how it looks, I trimmed down around ears and neck as I dont like when it grows longer, but I am going to let it grow now until month 6 I think and then go to a hair dresser for a proper trim 🙂. I personally think my donor looks great considering I have had 7000 grafts taken out, seen others irl that have taken 2000-2500 grafts that look terrible.

Regarding calucations, I know he did a very thorough measurement and calculation of donor, graft/cm2 and also calculated for future hair loss (even though I basically have reached almost max hair loss), total area for recipient ara I think is 227cm/2. I will probalby go for next step in October, when I reach 10 months result to do some more. I will let Dr. Zarev decide what is the best way to proceede, we will discuss this after the summer.

Edited by HugoX
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, RandoBrando517 said:

How much does Zarev charge per graft?

4Euro/grafts, which also stated on his webpage

Edited by HugoX
  • Like 1

• Administrators
9 hours ago, HugoX said:

4Euro/grafts, which also stated on his webpage

Very reasonably priced. Thanks for sharing.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Sorry for the many question we are asking, but you are the Zarev patient.

He usually gives numbers of hair density, either as FU per cm2 or hairs per cm2, did he tell you how much you have? 

Also did he take hair all the way below the donor area, close to nape? 

• Administrators
6 hours ago, Prof101 said:

He usually gives numbers of hair density, either as FU per cm2 or hairs per cm2, did he tell you how much you have? 

I have spoken to Dr. Zarev, I hope to invite him here and perhaps he can share some details about his surgical protocol. I will announce it when the time comes.

• Like 5

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

15 hours ago, Prof101 said:

I know, I think as most of Dr Zarevs patients are bulgarians (95% atleast) and from what I could gather most are of the..how to say..higher profile/higher income people ( I my self am definitely not a high profile or high income person 😅, just good at saving money as I knew this day would come and that a good doctor is not cheap), and as from what I have seen before I did my transplant he produces so many good results, what you see on his webpage is nothing compared to the folders after folders after folders of results his got in his computer, all with the same exellent results.

So I think most of his patients are not good at english and also they are simply happy with the result and just move on and they are not the type of people who go to forums and write...thats what I think.

He did give me all the numbers, but this was in january, you know as time goes so does the memory 😅.

But he did make it clear that he does not go outside the safe zone, he is aware that some people think that he goes outisde the safe zone but he does not and the mega sessions of 11k-14k grafts is not something most people can do, very few have this kind of donor to achieve these numbers.

If i remember correctly I think I have(had) 72 grafts cm2 at donor, thick hair shafts (dont remember the mm for that), I am trying to get more details for you guys, I know Dr Zarev is very busy and they have a vacation period in Bulgaria right now, they are closed for 2 weeks, not sure when they open up again.

Edited by HugoX
  • Like 3

• Administrators
6 hours ago, HugoX said:

I know, I think as most of Dr Zarevs patients are bulgarians (95% atleast) and from what I could gather most are of the..how to say..higher profile/higher income people ( I my self am definitely not a high profile or high income person 😅, just good at saving money as I knew this day would come and that a good doctor is not cheap), and as from what I have seen before I did my transplant he produces so many good results, what you see on his webpage is nothing compared to the folders after folders after folders of results his got in his computer, all with the same exellent results.

So I think most of his patients are not good at english and also they are simply happy with the result and just move on and they are not the type of people who go to forums and write...thats what I think.

He did give me all the numbers, but this was in january, you know as time goes so does the memory 😅.

But he did make it clear that he does not go outside the safe zone, he is aware that some people think that he goes outisde the safe zone but he does not and the mega sessions of 11k-14k grafts is not something most people can do, very few have this kind of donor to achieve these numbers.

If i remember correctly I think I have(had) 72 grafts cm2 at donor, thick hair shafts (dont remember the mm for that), I am trying to get more details for you guys, I know Dr Zarev is very busy and they have a vacation period in Bulgaria right now, they are closed for 2 weeks, not sure when they open up again.

Did he do a famous Bulgarian football player who used to play for Man U 🤔😅

• Like 1

View my thread

Thanks @HugoX. This is great information!

In the folders of results, did you see any patients with non-optimal hair characteristics such as not the most robust donor or fine straight hair? From the Zarev results I have seen, everyone seems to have near outstanding hair characteristics.

Also, Dr. Zarev has mentioned that due to his technique, he is able to extract 60% of the grafts in the donor area without causing the appearance of donor depletion, while other surgeons might not go above 40%. Was there any mention of this?

Finally, any mention of ever using BHT such as beard hairs?

Much appreciated for your information and transparency!

• Like 2

On 5/12/2021 at 5:18 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

Did he do a famous Bulgarian football player who used to play for Man U 🤔😅

This you will have to ask Dr. Zarev 🤐😅

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, SLA said:

Thanks @HugoX. This is great information!

In the folders of results, did you see any patients with non-optimal hair characteristics such as not the most robust donor or fine straight hair? From the Zarev results I have seen, everyone seems to have near outstanding hair characteristics.

Also, Dr. Zarev has mentioned that due to his technique, he is able to extract 60% of the grafts in the donor area without causing the appearance of donor depletion, while other surgeons might not go above 40%. Was there any mention of this?

Finally, any mention of ever using BHT such as beard hairs?

Much appreciated for your information and transparency!

We mostly looked at pictures that resembled my type of hair loss and what to expect from the first stage transplant.

We never discussed BHT as the result that I wanted to achieve was applicable with my donor.

For the % of my donor cannot recall we talked about this in detail, the main focus was as I had lost so much, that in the first stage build coverage and then do another assessment to see how much more would be available to take out and still keep the homogeneous look all over. From initial assessment I had 9-10k grafts.

I think survival % of the grafts is one key factor for me, when you see some people who have done 7000-9000 grafts and the results look poor I think it’s due to the survival of the grafts, either damaged during extraction, or not properly taken care of when outside the body or damaged during implanting.

I do not know in detail the vacuum extraction method he uses, from what Dr. Zarev tried to explain is an automatic vacuum assitsted method to extract grafts without unnecessary tissue damage and this way survival rate is around 95-98%, and for someone like me who has lost a lot each % is crucial, it does seem to my eyes right now that all the grafts transplanted are out and growing, but still thin and frizzy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, HugoX said:

.... I think it’s due to the survival of the grafts, either damaged during extraction, or not properly taken care of when outside the body or damaged during implanting.

I think you miss the most crucial aspect, at least if you consider the better clinics. The X-factor as one can see from the many poor FUT (no graft damage caused by extraction) results from the best clinics in the world.

In the end, each graft is a mini-organ, which the body has to attach to blood supply (!) by himself in the hours after the surgery. This is why it is not wise to go all in in the first procedure. Better start with a small "test" surgery. 

Edited by Gasthoerer
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Gasthoerer said:

I think you miss the most crucial aspect, at least if you consider the better clinics. The X-factor as one can see from the many poor FUT (no graft damage caused by extraction) results from the best clinics in the world.

In the end, each graft is a mini-organ, which the body has to attach to blood supply (!) by himself in the hours after the surgery. This is why it is not wise to go all in or even start with a small "test" surgery. 

Sorry can you clarify a bit? It's not wise to start big or small? What do you recommend then - is there some test you can do pre-HT to determine if you have this X-factor?

I think what @Gasthoereris recommending that if possible, start with a small test surgery (which I believe he had done).

Also, recommending not to go all in with grafts at 1st in case they don't take as perhaps the X-factor is due to some issue with the scalp that can be rectified before a 2nd procedure....correct me if I am wrong @Gasthoerer

• Thanks 1

Nothing to add @SLA

Example: If you have a donor of 6000 grafts and require 3000 for the front/mid and 3000 for the crown...

- if you make a mega session with 5000+ FU and it fails you are basically left with no options

- if you go for 3000 and it fails you have a fair chance that at least you can fix front/mid and leave the crown open (not perfect but no drama either)

- if you start even more conservative, you have even more options

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Gasthoerer said:

Nothing to add @SLA

Example: If you have a donor of 6000 grafts and require 3000 for the front/mid and 3000 for the crown...

- if you make a mega session with 5000+ FU and it fails you are basically left with no options

- if you go for 3000 and it fails you have a fair chance that at least you can fix front/mid and leave the crown open (not perfect but no drama either)

- if you start even more conservative, you have even more options

Very risk averse , but I love it. This is my style also. 

There is always a risk when doing a hair transplant, you minimise that risk by going to a doctor who has shown in an open and clear whay what he can do and for me Dr Zarev checked all the boxes, works only on one patient at the time, does all the work on the patients head himself, evey step of the way, has a clear calculated method of what is achievable , is great at doing large sessions proven by his many many results that he has shown, high survival rate of grafts and understands the art behind a hair transplant. 

Evey doctor have a different aprocah and way of work, I think choosing any of the doctors with good reputation and proven results will work out fine. 

I understand the idea of maybe taking the slow approach of doing smal amounts, (this way would have taken me 2-3 years to get to 9000-10000 grafts btw, now I will finish within a year) but I didn't not at any stage feel that I was taking a risk with Dr Zarev to be honest . A difference with Dr Zarev to other doctors I think is that it is very demanding physically and takes a lot of concentration to do such large sessions and most doctors can't handle to operate for 10-12 hours, and he does most of the work himself.

That's why we are here, to learn, share and help each other and others what ways/directions there is to take 🙂

• Like 3

I don't think you will have a lot of luck

Taking 2 cases a week he probably is booked for years to come

These results are amazing, congratulations. Looking forward to more updates

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mustang said:

I don't think you will have a lot of luck

Taking 2 cases a week he probably is booked for years to come

These results are amazing, congratulations. Looking forward to more updates

Yes, the waiting list would be huge I am sure he gets hundreds of e-mails daily. 

• Administrators
On 5/15/2021 at 2:10 PM, Afk49 said:

Does anyone know how to get in contact with Dr. Zarev? I have tried sending emails and calling the number listed on his website, but have not heard back for weeks. 

I spoke to him last week. Apparently, he’s transitioning to a larger clinic next year. I believe he’s in a similar situation as Cuoto catching up on domestic patients. 

View my thread