Dr. Wong / 5,783 Grafts / FUT Repair / 1 Session / 7.5 months post-op

This Canadian patient in his mid-20’s from a province outside of British Colombia had a previous poorly executed FUE procedure in Pakistan. Two years removed from his disappointing results, further research and due diligence revealed he should turn to Dr. Wong for answers and a solution. His goals were to create adequate density and coverage to all areas with emphasis on the frontal zone and crown. Fortunately he had good donor hair and a high degree of laxity and it was determined that to achieve his goals and maximize the result, FUT would be the preferred method of extraction. The impressive harvest of 5,783 grafts consisted of 1320 single hair grafts, 3198 doubles and 665 3-4 hair grafts. It is also noted that Dr. Wong removed some of the previous improperly placed grafts from the hairline at the same time. The patient will return to have the remaining old hairline grafts removed which will greatly enhance the overall appearance of the newly constructed hairline. I may also add that for this type of outcome following an inferior procedure that has compromised the donor area as depicted in the pre-excision pics, a patient must have above average laxity and above average donor hair.  These photos were sent in by the patient 7.5 months after his procedure.

You can also hear some reference to this case in Dr. Wong’s recent Instagram live interview with Melvin.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

• Like 2

I am a salaried employee of Hasson and Wong since 2001. Opinions expressed are my own.

Hassonandwong.com

• Administrators

@H & W Doug

Thanks for posting this, it is exactly what I was asking. Do you have pictures of his donor? 

👏🏼 Dr. Wong great job

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Wow, simply stunning results. Thank you for sharing. This perfectly encapsulates the important of doing your homework and just how skilled H&W are. 

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

Wow, another miracle by H&W Clinic. A pity people have to undergo a repair after another clinic has butchered them, so unfair to have to go through that.

One more amazing result by Dr Wong! Congratulations 😊

Thx for the comments guys!

On 5/1/2021 at 6:33 AM, Melvin-Moderator said:

@H & W Doug

Thanks for posting this, it is exactly what I was asking. Do you have pictures of his donor? 

👏🏼 Dr. Wong great job

He did not send any good donor shots but we'll try and get some when he comes back. 

On 5/11/2021 at 11:26 PM, 5BetaReductase said:

Life changing result for this patient.

@H & W Doug- what is the white cream the clinic uses immediately post op?

It is a topical antibiotic.

I am a salaried employee of Hasson and Wong since 2001. Opinions expressed are my own.

Hassonandwong.com

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/22/2022 at 10:17 AM, Mattk494 said:

Most Grafs went to the front hairline?

why was it all done in one surgery? Don’t mega sessions reduce graf survival rates?

Mattk494,

I would say about 3,500 to 3,700 grafts went to the hairline/frontal zone/mid-scalp while around 2,000 to 2,200 went to the crown. For just the hairline? maybe 1,300?

It is better to do as much as possible in one surgery in cases such as this with extensive loss. If the clinic can execute, there are a number of reasons this is best. It is more cost effective to do one 5800 grafts procedure than two sperate 2,900 graft procedures. Most patients would also want the result sooner rather than have to wait another 8-12 months to have phase two and then another year for the same result that could have been achieved the first time. It can also be more efficient to cut the scalp once rather than twice.

Mega session survival rates in the hands of a capable surgeon and team present no concerns. All things considered, the number is not as important as how the grafts are handled and stored. If properly handled and stored, grafts can survive for 24 hours outside the body.  And of course, the surgeon needs have the skill to safely place a certain number of grafts in a given area. Some may not have the skill, experience or confidence to pack to a certain density. In our clinic, if there are limitations as to how many grafts we can harvest, it is because an individual patient may present certain factors preventing a large session such as less than average donor hair and limited scalp mobility(FUT). Our ability, technology and process will not limit us.  

Hassonandwong.com

On 2/8/2022 at 5:08 PM, stephcurry30 said:

Great result! What is the white paste placed on the grafts?

It is a topical antibiotic, see my May 14 post.

On 2/8/2022 at 7:48 PM, anotherbaldguy said:

Would love to see the FUT scar for this case if possible

Melvin/abg,

See below. Post-op photos from his second session which yielded 3,074 grafts. I would say the scar is pretty good considering all of the previous scar tissue Dr. Wong had to contend with. In this round Dr. Wong rebuilt the temples and strategically added density to selected areas most in need of improvement. He also removed most if not all of the inappropriately placed grafts in the hairline from his previous procedure. This patient should be looking very good compared to where he started after this one. Luckily for him he had sufficient donor and picked the right surgeon this time around.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

• Thanks 2

Hassonandwong.com

Incredible! The gap between elite clinics and hair mills can never be overstated. 

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Thank you so much for this

If a patient has extensive FUE scarring, is the final result of the FUT scar usually impacted as well? Does previous FUE scarring impact the quality of the grafts in the strip?

9 hours ago, H & W Doug said:

I would say the scar is pretty good considering all of the previous scar tissue Dr. Wong had to contend with. 

It's an absolutely fantastic FUT scar generally. 

Edited by anotherbaldguy