Topical Finasteride - any reviews and feedback (Essengen 6)

Harry90

Hi all

Posted on here last month about a possible HT this year and was advised to try medication finasteride and minoxidil first.

I've never used either and was nervous about side effects particularly of Fin so I've decided to start off using topical finasteride which has just arrived from the Minoxidilmax website (Essengen 6 plus).

Do any of you have feedback on this product - has it produced positive results and in how long? If you have used Oral Fin previously how have the results compared? (and any side effects)

I'm also wondering what is the best regime to start off with as someone new to Fin/Mix. I read someone on Reddit say they were applying a couple of times a week to start off with and building it up eventually to once a day. Is once a day enough for this product to get decent regrowth as well as maintaining existing hairs or is further stuff needed eg oral Minoxidil?

Finally just also wondering what the best way to apply the product. I am thinning really mostly on top around the side and crown (and for some reason a little more to the right temple going back). Should I apply mainly to those areas or apply everywhere and massage around the head.

Thanks all - look forward to hearing from you

1 hour ago, Harry90 said:

Hi all

Posted on here last month about a possible HT this year and was advised to try medication finasteride and minoxidil first.

I've never used either and was nervous about side effects particularly of Fin so I've decided to start off using topical finasteride which has just arrived from the Minoxidilmax website (Essengen 6 plus).

Do any of you have feedback on this product - has it produced positive results and in how long? If you have used Oral Fin previously how have the results compared? (and any side effects)

I'm also wondering what is the best regime to start off with as someone new to Fin/Mix. I read someone on Reddit say they were applying a couple of times a week to start off with and building it up eventually to once a day. Is once a day enough for this product to get decent regrowth as well as maintaining existing hairs or is further stuff needed eg oral Minoxidil?

Finally just also wondering what the best way to apply the product. I am thinning really mostly on top around the side and crown (and for some reason a little more to the right temple going back). Should I apply mainly to those areas or apply everywhere and massage around the head.

Thanks all - look forward to hearing from you

Good man. I can't see why that product wouldn't work. Note that any "novel" product carries the risk of it not being available in the future, that is one of the main reasons long-term finasteride users often recommend "get brand name propecia/proscar" - consistency and availability is not a concern as of now. I don't know how long this EssenGen-6 Plus has been on the market, or how long it will continue to be on the market. 

From my personal experience, I have used 1mg oral finasteride, and 5% minoxidil (on and off) for 10 years to good effect, very slow progression of hair loss. Oral finasteride suppresses DHT (scalp and serum DHT) by around 70%, thereby reducing DHT's harmful effects on hair. If I were taking topical finasteride, I would take a look at what the dose-response of it is, to know what I am taking know and for the future. According to this chart, https://fueclinic.com/services/treatments/topical-finasteride-0-025/ a dose of 0.25% (2.5mg per 1 ml) though effective for suppressing scalp DHT (comparable to oral finasteride), also suppresses serum DHT potentially more than oral finasteride. This could give a greater incidence of side effects. The lower doses (0.1% and 0.025%, 1mg/ml and 0.25mg/ml) were slightly less effective at reducing scalp DHT than 0.25%, but on the plus side did not suppress serum DHT nearly as much. 

EssenGen-6 Plus contains 6% minoxidil, and 0.05% (0.5mg/ml) finasteride, with twice daily application (like standalone 5% minoxidil recommends), for a total of 0.1% (1mg/ml) finasteride daily (see chart for dose-response relationship). 

Since you are combining two products in one, you are unfortunately not able to personalise dose of each, or know what effect each medicine will have on your hair loss, that's just how it is. I like both medicines, but not necessarily combined for that reason. Even so, you have bought this now, and as many Dr's and people have stated before, it is commonly believed that minoxidil only needs to be applied once/day, as it accumulates in your system and reaches "steady state" over some days. If I were starting my journey all over again, I would start on the lowest dose of finasteride possible in the beginning, and if I responded well, consider increasing my dose after some time. In this case, with this product, given the contents, I would definitely start at once/day. If I felt over time I wanted to use a higher dose of finasteride for a greater effect on scalp DHT, I would buy a different product, or topical finasteride standalone. 

Hope that offers clarity, rather than confusion!

• 2 weeks later...

Chinese imported crap

Gave me the worst side effects of my life (Gyno, complete loss of libido, brain fog, anxiety, you name it)

Stay away from them

Do not use Topical Finasteride at a higher dose than 0.025%.

Topical Dutasteride is 100 times safer and more effective.