Low dose finasteride success stories.

Nickpatay12

I was wondering if anyone in this community has had successful results using a lower dosage of finasteride. I’m currently taking .25 mg of fin everyday. I haven’t noticed a big difference it’s been two months though. Anyone out there with success? Any dosage that is under 1 mg a day. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, qui bono said:

@1978matt mentioned it a few months ago. Hes had a 3 or so HT's though so I think its mainly for maintenance at this stage (?)

EDIT: actually check out the entire thread

that’s great to hear. I’m trying to find people who have had success without HT. I’m glad it’s working for him though. So I’m a diffuse thinner, you can see what my hair loss is like in one of my first posts. I’m hoping since I still do have hair on my scalp, I’m not really looking for regrowth. I’m just hoping I can maintain and get this hair to be thicker. 

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

From the doctor in the thread; 

There are a couple of important points, in my opinion. The combination of Rogaine and low dose Propecia are very important, possibly allowing this low dose to be effective. The Rogaine needs to be used over the entire top of the scalp, and applied after shampooing. Also, starting treatment while there is a lot of miniaturized hair is vital. Let it go to baldness, and many of the hairs will be too far gone to revive.

7 hours ago, 1978matt said:

So I am using fin everyday .25 mg. Mild side effects here and there. Some days are worse than others tbh. I have tried to add minoxidil to my regime once per day. Hoping to hear from more of you about any success with low dosages. Hopefully my hair gets thicker. That would be the ideal thing for me. 

The dose-response curve for finasteride on DHT has always appeared to be "relatively" flat, meaning 0.2mg is not greatly different from from 1mg or 5mg. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/10495374/

That said, lower doses (0.2mg) have been shown to be less effective than higher doses. Which is a little conflicting, if lower doses are pretty effective at suppressing scalp DHT, though less effective at suppressing serum DHT. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022202X15529357

"Initial Clinical Studies With Finasteride In Men With Androgenetic Alopecia

Drake et al (1999) reported on the biochemical efficacy of finasteride in men with androgenetic alopecia (AGA), demonstrating that median scalp dihydrotestosterone DHT levels were decreased by 64% and 69% after 42 days of treatment at doses of 1 mg and 5 mg, respectively, compared to a 13% decrease with placebo. Median serum DHT levels decreased 71% and 72%, respectively, compared to a 1% increase with placebo. This study also demonstrated that at doses as low as 0.05 mg daily, finasteride significantly decreased scalp DHT, although only doses ≥0.2 mg were near-maximally effective in decreasing both scalp and serum DHT.

Roberts et al (1999) reported on clinical dose-ranging studies with finasteride at doses of 5, 1, 0.2 and 0.01 mg/day in men with AGA. These studies demonstrated that finasteride treatment led to both an increase in hair count and cosmetic improvement in hair growth, establishing for the first time the proof of concept for the efficacy of finasteride in the treatment of men with AGA. The efficacy of finasteride 1 mg was similar to the efficacy observed with the 5-mg dose but was significantly greater than the efficacy observed with lower doses (0.2 mg and 0.01 mg) of finasteride. The 1-mg dose was generally well tolerated by patients, and its safety profile was similar to that seen with lower doses of finasteride or placebo. The 1-mg dose was thus chosen as optimal for further study in subsequent Phase III studies in men with AGA."

• 6 months later...

Thank you for starting this thread! Exactly what I was looking for.

I started 0.5mg finasteride daily back in late July, so nearly fourth months ago. I had been worried about sides, which I fortunately had none of. That said, I did have shedding, for sure.

I've been wondering whether to bump up to 1mg since I haven't had sides, but decided to come to this forum to see how well people do on 0.5mg daily. I am also a little nervous that I will get another shed if I bump up to 1mg.

I will certainly post my results on 0.5mg finasteride in the coming months.

• Valued Contributor
1 hour ago, Balding Bad said:

I picked up my prescription of 1mg Fin today, so I will be starting this journey soon enough myself!

I, too, will make sure to keep y'all posted! Hope it goes well (no sides!). 🤞

Wishing you all the best @Balding Bad. 👍

• Thanks 1

• Valued Contributor
7 hours ago, dotdashdashdash said:

Thank you for starting this thread! Exactly what I was looking for.

I started 0.5mg finasteride daily back in late July, so nearly fourth months ago. I had been worried about sides, which I fortunately had none of. That said, I did have shedding, for sure.

I've been wondering whether to bump up to 1mg since I haven't had sides, but decided to come to this forum to see how well people do on 0.5mg daily. I am also a little nervous that I will get another shed if I bump up to 1mg.

I will certainly post my results on 0.5mg finasteride in the coming months.

I have also gone back to finasteride and I started about three months ago on 0.5mg Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I recently upped Friday's dose to 1mg (as it has to cover two days, Saturday and Sunday). I'll sit on this for two more months then increase another day's dose to 1mg and so on. Eventually I would like to be able to tolerate 1mg three days a week.

• Like 1

I started on 1mg/day after my ht a year ago and after a couple of months had minor sides ( decreased erections and lower sperm volume mainly).

I stopped for a couple of weeks then started again on 0.5mg/day. Been on this for around 4 months now and seems a lot better although sperm volume is definitely a little lower than years ago but nothing I’m worried about.

• Like 1