Fin 1,25 mg MWF, should I increase the amount of days?

Tony10

Hey,

I've been a long time lurker in these forums and find the information here really useful. 

My story is basically that I take 1,25 mg finasterid MWF together with microneedling and minoxdil. I cut the 5 mg propecia into four pills, been on it since June 2020. Started minoxidil November 2020. My hair is still very full, but my hairline, especially on the left side is thinning. I also still lose hair whenever I shower or when I apply minoxidil. When I started finasteride it seemed like I didnt lose as much hair as I do now. I havent really seen any huge improvement with fin and min, besides that my hairloss stopped a while with fin. Is there any reason for why I lose more hair now?

Should I increase the days im taking finasterid in order for the hairloss to stop, for example four days a week or more? 

Any comments and tips are really appericiated. 

The thing to remember about Finasteride is that it lowers DHT by up to 70%, it doesn't eliminate it. So you still have some circulating through your body and depending on how sensitive you are to DHT genetically, you can still continue to lose. The reason you still want to stay on it long term is because your loss rate would be even worse without it. If you do reach a point where you've lost too much and don't want or can't do a hair transplant, then you should stop taking it.

After a dose your DHT takes about a week to gradually recover back up to normal. So you are getting a considerable benefit even with your alternate days regimen. If you aren't getting sides go ahead and try daily 1.25mg to maximize the protection. I quarter the pills too and take a dose daily. That being said, don't get your hopes up when it comes to saving the frontal hairline areas of the head, that's usually the most sensitive to DHT so you're probably going to lose that anyway.

And normal healthy person not suffering from hair loss sheds about 100-150 hairs a day. So if that's what you're seeing don't worry, that's not male pattern baldness.

Can you do finasteride 1mg daily without side effects? If you've reached the apex for finasteride and are still losing hair, I would suggest that and see how your body responds. 

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

You're likely not losing any more hair, you're just conscious of hair shed more now. Remember its completely normal to shed hairs daily, 100-150 hairs a day is normal and if you live with a girl you'll see that first hand; the fucking shower and toilet always full of hair everywhere. However, you see a few hairs come out on your hands in the shower or just as you're stroking it and start to panic is just in the moment fear and the bigger picture is that its all part of the cycle. It sounds like you caught this rather early and I think as long as you're tolerating your dosage now it should be do you fine, if you could move it to 1mg a day then do that. 

5 hours ago, ciaus said:

The thing to remember about Finasteride is that it lowers DHT by up to 70%, it doesn't eliminate it. So you still have some circulating through your body and depending on how sensitive you are to DHT genetically, you can still continue to lose. The reason you still want to stay on it long term is because your loss rate would be even worse without it. If you do reach a point where you've lost too much and don't want or can't do a hair transplant, then you should stop taking it.

After a dose your DHT takes about a week to gradually recover back up to normal. So you are getting a considerable benefit even with your alternate days regimen. If you aren't getting sides go ahead and try daily 1.25mg to maximize the protection. I quarter the pills too and take a dose daily. That being said, don't get your hopes up when it comes to saving the frontal hairline areas of the head, that's usually the most sensitive to DHT so you're probably going to lose that anyway.

And normal healthy person not suffering from hair loss sheds about 100-150 hairs a day. So if that's what you're seeing don't worry, that's not male pattern baldness.

hmm so no hope, even with microneedling and minox for frontal? Ive tried 1 mm dermaroller once a week for a few months, but I dont see any difference, hence I got 1,5 mm today. Hopefully that will help. How is taking 1,25 mg every day? Has your body reacted anyway and did you start at 1,25 right away?

5 hours ago, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

Can you do finasteride 1mg daily without side effects? If you've reached the apex for finasteride and are still losing hair, I would suggest that and see how your body responds. 

Ive done 1,25 MWF without any issues, im planning on adding sunday too, and see. Or do you suggest I take it everyday? Since its 1,25 mg, Ill have 1,75mg more fin then normal, cause normal dose is 1mg everyday. Wont that be an issue?

2 minutes ago, TorontoMan said:

You're likely not losing any more hair, you're just conscious of hair shed more now. Remember its completely normal to shed hairs daily, 100-150 hairs a day is normal and if you live with a girl you'll see that first hand; the fucking shower and toilet always full of hair everywhere. However, you see a few hairs come out on your hands in the shower or just as you're stroking it and start to panic is just in the moment fear and the bigger picture is that its all part of the cycle. It sounds like you caught this rather early and I think as long as you're tolerating your dosage now it should be do you fine, if you could move it to 1mg a day then do that. 

I hope so. Dont want to lose any more ground..

About 15 yrs ago I started on 1mg daily pills when it was name brand Propecia. When it went off patent I switched to generic 1mg pills, and then finally quartering 5mg pills for 1.25mg daily to save money. Never had any side effects.

I'd never say there's no hope, but at least you'll optimize the front as much as possible with the minox and microneedling until the follicles completely succumb to DHT and can't produce visible hair. How much additional time depends on how genetically sensitive your follicles are. But try not to look at the glass half full. Every good hair day is a battle won in the hairloss war.

And be careful with that 1.5mm dermaroller, ouch. 1mm is generally the highest I've heard being used for hairloss.

Edited by ciaus
  • Like 1