Dr. Maras at HDC Clinic - FUE 3773 Grafts - April 5th & 6th 2021

Parasol

54 minutes ago, Parasol said:

@Helios Thanks for the reassurance on the hairline density stuff. It’s good to know this is normal and all part of the process. 

Having done no-shave with my last two surgeries this is the first time I’ve gotten to see the progress up close and had the chance to over analyze it. :)

Yes you can expect you’ll analyse and panic over anything that doesn’t look “normal” in the beginning. Aside from the scab you mentioned everything else is looking very good and on track. 

• Like 1

I’m 15 days post-op now. I figure it would be good to post an update on my scab, in the event this happens to someone in the future and they come here to see if it’s happened before.

It fell off a few days ago, and took a bunch of hairs with it! They didn’t seem to have any roots attached (it looked just like normal shedding), so I’m hopeful the grafts are still anchored and will grow there again eventually. Time will tell.

301B7FAF-BE47-43C3-810E-CFB1B8E128BB.thumb.jpeg.338e11cae1b141236dc8270f6ad37206.jpeg

I do still feel like I look different than most people do at this stage of recovery. From the scab, to the hairline density, to the odd rows of course clumped multi-grafts throughout, but I do believe in HDC and Dr. Maras so all I can do now is wait and trust in the process.

Shedding seems to have started as well. When I touch my head I see hairs in my fingers. This is gonna be quite the journey.

Edited by Parasol

I remember having gaps in my scalp and worrying because it looked like hair wouldn’t grow and I’m pretty sure I had shock loss in the front but everything turned out fine at around month 6 so try not to worry about it so much. I think I read at around 5-7 days post op the grafts are already pretty secure. 

• Thanks 1

• Administrators
9 hours ago, Parasol said:

I’m 15 days post-op now. I figure it would be good to post an update on my scab, in the event this happens to someone in the future and they come here to see if it’s happened before.

It fell off a few days ago, and took a bunch of hairs with it! They didn’t seem to have any roots attached (it looked just like normal shedding), so I’m hopeful the grafts are still anchored and will grow there again eventually. Time will tell.

301B7FAF-BE47-43C3-810E-CFB1B8E128BB.thumb.jpeg.338e11cae1b141236dc8270f6ad37206.jpeg

I do still feel like I look different than most people do at this stage of recovery. From the scab, to the hairline density, to the odd rows of course clumped multi-grafts throughout, but I do believe in HDC and Dr. Maras so all I can do now is wait and trust in the process.

Shedding seems to have started as well. When I touch my head I see hairs in my fingers. This is gonna be quite the journey.

Definitely trust in the process. I don’t see anything to be alarmed about. I do see that scab. Hopefully, it wasn’t some dislodged grafts. Time will tell. But the area is small, so even when it all grows you wouldn’t see a difference.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

30 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Definitely trust in the process. I don’t see anything to be alarmed about. I do see that scab. Hopefully, it wasn’t some dislodged grafts. Time will tell. But the area is small, so even when it all grows you wouldn’t see a difference.

Thanks Melvin. I guess it’s tough when I look at other similar frontal restorations (Maa, Rolandas, etc), at 2 weeks the work looks so even and clean. But then I have to remind myself that my (not virgin) scalp was getting washed with fingers 2 days post op (rather than 7-10 days like most other clinics), so of course it’s gonna look different. And everyone heals differently too.

I appreciate the reassurances, everyone. It means a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

4 Week Update

Who’s the ugliest duckling that ever lived???

0339C53E-1B04-4B65-8864-D7BD24F5D72B.thumb.jpeg.a81d4bb2a310fefe4adb401a51ffbbfe.jpeg6504DD22-7ED8-4A95-9573-FF301EC80D75.thumb.jpeg.37d38ba74b961ce230f9326f89aa64fa.jpegDFDE4958-011D-4CF3-AB1D-41053A4E0792.thumb.jpeg.abbc09c3f8262cf5c70dfc1d8f9b151f.jpeg3E69CEF5-26B4-4992-A6E4-15E632F02ADC.thumb.jpeg.ecf23808b50c6933cc387ebddfa934eb.jpegC6E4FA7D-57BC-4134-881D-EEE6BFDBCE4F.thumb.jpeg.cad5477bf59ebfb73ae6edbfd3d78aba.jpeg46C1DD24-DAE2-4FEE-8F56-BC77AB3BB696.thumb.jpeg.03980ac22a778a74bc2cf723dace2d6c.jpeg

^^^ This guy.

Over the last 10 days or so, I’ve shed virtually all of my transplanted hair. Though it’s pretty clear to me too that most of my previously transplanted and natural hair has been shocked out as well. Wow, I knew enough to expect these things but man, this is gonna be quite the journey!

As you can see, the scab has fallen off, but what concerns me is not only the indent in my scalp the scab left behind (which is pretty big!) but all the other pits and craters and indents. My whole scalp looks so much like scar tissue to me, it’s actually very difficult to take a clear picture because my scalp is now very shiny.

I’m a bit concerned about the condition of my skin. Do you guys see what I’m talking about? For instance, along my left temple, you can see a bunch of indent lines where some other smaller crusts had formed in the days just after my surgery. I’m a bit worried even if hair does eventually want to grow, it won’t be able to because in my entire transplant area, all the skin just looks and feels off.

Do I have anything to be worried about with the way I’m healing?

I guess on the upside, my current state has motivated me to begin using Rogaine foam again. I had up until today to decide and the choice wasn’t a hard one.

EDIT: I just want to clarify that I may have used the term “pitting” incorrectly. I didn’t realize this was a very technical term in regards to transplants, and looking at images of it, I don’t think this is what’s happening to me.

My concern is the bumpiness and indents and the overall skin texture of my transplanted area.

Edited by Parasol

@Parasolno worries, you on the right track of healing, you had a big session.

This is me few weeks after with redness before I recovered.

20190711_130103.jpg

Doron Harati - Patient coordinator for HDC Hair Clinic, HT procedures are done by MD Doctors with Microscope FUE.

For consultation contact me: WhatsApp +972526542654

Mail:doronhdc@gmail.com

HDC Instegram: https://instagram.com/doronhairadvisor_hdc?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

* All comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice, all comments are only the personal opinions of the poster.

4 minutes ago, Doron Harati said:

@Parasolno worries, you on the right track of healing, you had a big session.

This is me few weeks after with redness before I recovered.

20190711_130103.jpg

Thanks @Doron Harati but it’s not the redness that’s concerning me. I know that’s normal at this stage. It’s the bumpiness and the indents and the overall texture of my skin. Your head looks pretty “normal” there. 

I do appreciate the lighting quick reply. It feels good knowing HDC has my back. :)

15 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

Have you been in contact with the clinic/Dr ? Yes I can see why you would be concerned. Be good if they could give you some kind of reassurance. 

Thanks John. I just sent them to Doron (who I think replied here before he even got my pictures lol) and to the clinic directly as well. I’m hoping Dr. Maras can review them and let me know what he thinks. If there’s anything I should do, I’d like to start doing it ASAP.

I want to be in the best position possible for this transplant to succeed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Parasol said:

Thanks John. I just sent them to Doron (who I think replied here before he even got my pictures lol) and to the clinic directly as well. I’m hoping Dr. Maras can review them and let me know what he thinks. If there’s anything I should do, I’d like to start doing it ASAP.

I want to be in the best position possible for this transplant to succeed.

Agreed and yes it’s not the redness that is of any concern. Like you pointed out it’s the bumpiness and indents that you need reassurance. Let’s hope you go from the ugly duckling 🐥 to a beautiful swan 🦢 

• Like 1

1-4 first months are the "ugly duck season", every paitent reacts differently and the clinic is always available to review any situation, it will pass.

• Like 3

Doron Harati - Patient coordinator for HDC Hair Clinic, HT procedures are done by MD Doctors with Microscope FUE.

* All comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice, all comments are only the personal opinions of the poster.

Month 1-4 are the worst without a doubt. Shedding, redness etc. Should start looking good after month 4-6. Your pictures look normal to me at this stage. 

Edited by Helios
  • Like 1

I appreciate the support, everyone! Although this is my third transplant, this is the first time I’ve had any issues with post-op recovery, so I want you all to know it means a lot.

I just heard back from HDC. They said what I’m going through is nothing to worry about, and that this is just my body’s way of healing after having such a big procedure. They want me to continue to rest and take it easy, and try my best not to worry.

They said they expect the bumpiness and redness to clear on its own over time, and at the moment they don’t want me to treat the recipient area at all (so no aloe vera, which I specifically asked about, or healing creams or anything like that).

Edited by Parasol

• 4 weeks later...

8 Week Update

72A6FC6E-C300-4666-8299-6D1E677136B5.thumb.jpeg.5476a8d8913c4d0ca37f9909188c2161.jpegA09160FA-33F2-4286-9926-FA2BD53F8195.thumb.jpeg.a4cc7ba0822b0fe47c716a8e78682a1d.jpegC0A3CFF1-31DE-40AB-AADF-EFBDD0395F69.thumb.jpeg.31a4ff2d27d7d70ccabb88f778a977a0.jpeg09F35CA0-CA25-43E6-BF5A-61753924CC1B.thumb.jpeg.4963d5a9f30c36795cfb081a4d0b5ee2.jpeg54E045A6-EE74-4935-9C50-988CD4DF7233.thumb.jpeg.71972bbeec75c7a2627f543dce4dda16.jpeg092B20C0-C1D8-4C8F-A4D7-D2F1B4DCACDA.thumb.jpeg.39afa8b57a7efa63b0950d21ceffb527.jpeg

I have to say, emotionally this has been a very tough time. I guess I worry whether or not, even in extreme cases, if I’m healing ok and look normal for this stage or if I will ever look normal again. 

I am doing my best to stay distracted though. I’m happy to have gotten this done and just need to stay strong. I have a very good support group, thank goodness, and am getting used to wearing a baseball cap in social situations. 

On the plus side, when I zoom in on the photos (on my phone where they’re not as compressed), I can see a bunch of shorter hairs breaking through the surface. I doubt it could be new growth at this stage, but possibly some of my shocked native hairs coming back? There are also lots of blonde hairs that the camera can’t capture, and a few pimples too (which I think is a good sign?), so hopefully this moment in time will be a distant memory in a few more months.

I’m still applying 5% minoxidil foam twice daily and have been for the last month, and am also still taking 1mg of Finasteride daily.

Edited by Parasol

Don't worry, I also had those pimples both on receipt and donor area, don't use your nails to pop them, your donor recovery looks good 😀

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

It's easy for me to comment I realise but don't worry. If you take the redness out I don't believe the scalp is something you should be worrying about at only 8 weeks post of. The dermis has undergone quite a bit of trauma from the transplant and it really needs time to heal itself. You have a good doctor so stay in communication with him throughout your growth period. I'm very positive that the scalp will resolve. Everything is a time issue and the one thing we lack is patience. I look forward to your updates. Once you get out of the ugly duckling phase your mind will be put at ease. Take care!

• Like 4

Hang in there Parasol. One thing you really have working in your favor is that you chose a clinic that will support your needs post-op. If you have further complications I believe they will make it right for you, but I do echo the previous comments of it still being too early to know the final outcome. 🙏

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Quick 10 Week Update

DB5F89C2-0E2D-40F8-9D4D-43D70C2494EE.thumb.jpeg.a4a6b823b2ef16eab79e36f7ceed8c40.jpeg

Although my head still looks beaten up and battered, I can see quite a bit of improvement between this update, and the last one I posted two weeks ago. 

My left temple especially seems to be sprouting quite a few new hairs. And my midscalp appears to be thickening up too. 

This morning I did wake up to some blood on my pillow. It seems I must have scratched an in-grown hair (or pimple) in my sleep. The clinic doesn’t want me to scratch these so I’ll have to keep an eye out going forward.

Otherwise, I’m hopeful my hairline and the bald scab area will start sprouting hairs at some point. If they do I think a great weight will be lifted. 

Time will tell.

• Like 1

You're on the right way, the hair is recovering from the shock loss :)

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Doron Harati said:

You're on the right way, the hair is recovering from the shock loss :)

I appreciate the support, Doron! You’ve been with me the whole way and it means a lot! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JohnAC71 said:

Definitely started to kick off now 🙏👍🏽

Boy I sure hope so. I have a very important trip in October and pray everyday I look relatively decent and healed by then.

• Like 2