Would you go back to your surgeon for a repair/touch up despite a bad result?

Would you go back to your surgeon for a repair/touch up despite a bad result?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Would you go back to your surgeon for a repair/touch up despite a bad result?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends on the circumstances (please leave suggestions in comments)

1. If I made an informed decision about the Dr. I chose in the first place, and,
2. I am an informed patient,
I understand that even given those two things in place yield can be subpar for whatever reason. I would gladly then accept a free touch-up. If however those two conditions were not met, that changes everything. You can of course have the two criteria in place, but the experience falls short of your expectations. I wrote down a list of all my "expectations", so I did not "miss" communicating. I also had to "check-in" with those expectations over the time of the surgery, like an accountant going over the books. 

• Administrators

Context matters. Let’s say you go to a hair mill and they completely botch your donor and hairline like @Doron Harati then you’d be insane to return. But if you chose a surgeon based on real reviews and results and they fell short of your expectations. I would definitely return. 

How far off the mark matters as well.  Was it a complete failure. I’ve seen talk about one side looking worse than the other. Growth, pattern, etc. A reason like that I’d probably return, especially since they’ve proved they can get it right, missed the mark for whatever reason. I think it’s important they give a reason. Dr. Bisanga explained it well 

• Like 3

I do not provide medical advice, recommendations, all responses are my opinion.

My Hair Transplant Journey

Melvin- Associate Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media Instagram @thehairtransplantnetwork FacebookPintrest, Linkedin and YouTube.

Would anyone go back to a clinic despite having a bad relationship with the doctor (their communication was terrible and they didnt take your concerns seriously)?

49 minutes ago, j1mmy said:

1. If I made an informed decision about the Dr. I chose in the first place, and,
2. I am an informed patient,
I understand that even given those two things in place yield can be subpar for whatever reason. I would gladly then accept a free touch-up. If however those two conditions were not met, that changes everything. You can of course have the two criteria in place, but the experience falls short of your expectations. I wrote down a list of all my "expectations", so I did not "miss" communicating. I also had to "check-in" with those expectations over the time of the surgery, like an accountant going over the books. 

I so need to take you to my consultations 😃

• Haha 1
Just now, qui bono said:

Would anyone go back to a clinic despite having a bad relationship with the doctor (their communication was terrible and they didnt take your concerns seriously)?

That's hard, you would have to be financially pressed I suppose. For me you need to feel they can get the job done, and your vision plays quite a role in that job for most of us. It's not like an autistic brain surgeon, but more like an artist you've hired for a self-portrait. You look at their body of work and have a pretty good idea, you explain what you are looking for in the painting. You allow them to communicate before-hand they have understood your expectations, but you have to force yourself to keep them accountable along the way. I quite liked that analogy actually, not sure why I bothered explaining it :D

Edited by j1mmy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Administrators
11 minutes ago, j1mmy said:

That's hard, you would have to be financially pressed I suppose. For me you need to feel they can get the job done, and your vision plays quite a role in that job for most of us. It's not like an autistic brain surgeon, but more like an artist you've hired for a self-portrait. You look at their body of work and have a pretty good idea, you explain what you are looking for in the painting. You allow them to communicate before-hand they have understood your expectations, but you have to force yourself to keep them accountable along the way. I quite liked that analogy actually, not sure why I bothered explaining it :D

Good analogy 👍🏼

Melvin- Associate Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media Instagram @thehairtransplantnetwork FacebookPintrest, Linkedin and YouTube.

I made a poor decision to go to a hair mill (Arenamed clinic in Turkey), because the local agent in my country (Forevhair agency) fooled me and represented Arenamed as a "boutique" clinic and I paid a huge commission, that agent from Forevhair was my "friend" and my barber for 14 years so I thought he wanted what's best for me, alas I almost died in the procedure by those barbarians! I was lucky that an ambulance came for my rescue, for 12 hours I puked, squirm, lost my body heat, due to a low blood pressure due to the clinic's medical malpractice! Also my donor and my natural hair were botched terribly with no growth, so I sued Forevhair with 4 more poor paitents, btw the agency promised me full responsibility and they even didn't offer me free repair, they said they I can do a repair in Arenamed with a discount.

I was so damn lucky Dr. Maras from HDC clinic saved and repaired my appearance and so I became consultant coordinator of HDC clinic. 

My suggestions are:

1) DO NOT ever go to any hair mill\nice price clinic\black market clinic, certainly not for a 2nd round ( I don't understand why ppl do that honestly).

2) If you choosed to a pro level clinic with a real MD doctor that do the surgical parts and the growth was poor then talk with the doctor for a 2nd procedure, becauae in pro level clinic it's not a disastrous failure like a hair mill poor amateur work, pro level clinic won't overharvested your donor, won't implant double and triple grafts at hair line  with weird hair angles, the only thing can happen is small growth than expected and believe me most of pro level clinics will take responsibility with 2nd procedure.

IMG-20180222-WA0025.jpg

IMG-20180222-WA0022.jpg

IMG-20180222-WA0023.jpg

20180221_123805.jpg

20180221_123808.jpg

IMG-20180220-WA0006.jpg

20191228_030341.jpg

20200626_173443.jpg

20201018_133626.jpg

20201030_150614.jpg

20201026_122035.jpg

• Like 5

Doron Harati - offical consultation center of HDC clinic (Cyprus), HT procedures are done by MD Doctors with Microscope FUE.

Feel free to contact me: WhatsApp +972526542654\ Mail: doronhairadvisor@gmail.com 

My own HT story: https://youtu.be/7M9HxBxtlm4

HDC Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/326632715435825/?ref=share

Having spoken with you privately and knowing your specific case, I think for you,  it’s more of a question of how you feel about the relationship you have together, as opposed to the Dr’s skill level - and I understand that this can make for quite an uncomfortable experience. It’s always going to be slightly awkward returning back to a clinic for a touch up, or additional work, when you have expressed concern, and the doctor has at first been dismissive or from his perspective, didn’t and still doesn’t really see an issue. 

If you feel comfortable enough to return to the Dr, the most important thing is that you are able to convey exactly what it is you want to change, and that he fully understands . . And he can accurately provide you with the expectations of the result that you will get, and that you are happy with that. 

If money and travel aren’t an issue, and you really don’t feel comfortable having these understandably tricky conversations with your Dr, I would probably suggest looking at another world class clinic, and consulting with them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It would depend on whether a clinic took responsibilty for their result. If they outright dismiss your concerns, then don't go back. 

Finding out why it happened, is important. Did the technicians mess up, were the grafts kept out too long, etc..

For me personally, I thought of it like this. While my doctor has a high success rate, my surgery failed. If the touch up fails too, I will not only have lost money, but 2000 extra grafts as well, in addition to 3500 grafts earlier. For someone like me who is a NW V. Grafts cannot go to waste. At the end of the day going back just to save money might put you in a worst off condition

• Like 3

Melvin I love where Dr Bisanga suggests to do a biopsy as to see if the patient may have some biological reason or cause for a failed hair transplant. Personally it's my belief today that 'ANY' top world renowned surgeon can perform a hair transplant that results in a failure. This includes Eugenix, Hasson and Wong, Dr Konior, etc. To suggest otherwise would be ignorant of the fact that you are not having a 'procedure.' You are having surgery! And in surgery their are so many variables that can go wrong that are beyond the scope of simply ticking off a check list in your research. No different to any other type of surgery. That said, assuming I had completed my research and developed a relationship with my surgeon that gave me the confidence that I wanted to have surgery with this surgeon. I would want to be educated by the surgeon of all the risks that 'MAY' go wrong prior to surgery. This to me is what distinguishes the vast difference between a great surgeon and a hair mill surgeon in Turkey, USA or Australia, or anywhere else in the world. I really believe the better educated a patient is about all the potentials that can go wrong makes for a better hair transplant candidate in the first place. That is that if things don't turn out as expected, the patient is in a better place to deal with the situation and with the relationship that they have with their surgeon can narrow down what went wrong on either's part. There will always be an 'X' variable where unfortunately 'shit happens.' However, if I have followed all of the above protocols, I would prefer to go back to my surgeon for a repair as he or she will have the greater understanding. For some, if this situation arises they may even realise that after this, a hair transplant is just not for them and we see and read about these people time and again on the forum. It all begins from the start and sadly too many people are too trigger happy to just jump into surgery after a phone call and an Instagram pic or a YouTube video. The more research you do the better educated and informed you will be in making this decision, should your outcome not meet your goals.

• Like 3
  • Administrators
2 hours ago, Gatsby said:

Melvin I love where Dr Bisanga suggests to do a biopsy as to see if the patient may have some biological reason or cause for a failed hair transplant. Personally it's my belief today that 'ANY' top world renowned surgeon can perform a hair transplant that results in a failure. This includes Eugenix, Hasson and Wong, Dr Konior, etc. To suggest otherwise would be ignorant of the fact that you are not having a 'procedure.' You are having surgery! And in surgery their are so many variables that can go wrong that are beyond the scope of simply ticking off a check list in your research. No different to any other type of surgery. That said, assuming I had completed my research and developed a relationship with my surgeon that gave me the confidence that I wanted to have surgery with this surgeon. I would want to be educated by the surgeon of all the risks that 'MAY' go wrong prior to surgery. This to me is what distinguishes the vast difference between a great surgeon and a hair mill surgeon in Turkey, USA or Australia, or anywhere else in the world. I really believe the better educated a patient is about all the potentials that can go wrong makes for a better hair transplant candidate in the first place. That is that if things don't turn out as expected, the patient is in a better place to deal with the situation and with the relationship that they have with their surgeon can narrow down what went wrong on either's part. There will always be an 'X' variable where unfortunately 'shit happens.' However, if I have followed all of the above protocols, I would prefer to go back to my surgeon for a repair as he or she will have the greater understanding. For some, if this situation arises they may even realise that after this, a hair transplant is just not for them and we see and read about these people time and again on the forum. It all begins from the start and sadly too many people are too trigger happy to just jump into surgery after a phone call and an Instagram pic or a YouTube video. The more research you do the better educated and informed you will be in making this decision, should your outcome not meet your goals.

I do believe it’s important for the doctor to find out what went wrong, so they can make an adjustment. For example, maybe one side came out poor growth. Who handled the grafts? Was it at the end of the day maybe fatigue, etc. After everything has been reviewed, then the doctor is in a better place to make corrections. A good doctor will do this, and that separates the good from the bad. 

• Like 2

Great subject but a complicated one.  Consider a lady with any condition other than your typical hair loss.  Say CCCA.  You do a thorough consultation and advise the patient it is likely, if she moves fwd with a procedure, she'll see little to no change....and despite all that she decides to go ahead.   A year later ........

We have to understand the mindset of the patient when they first arrive.  In my view, if the clinic is legit, they'll have the patient sign all kinds of paperwork attesting to the fact all possible results were discussed at length.  Some people are so desperate to look better, ANY kind of improvement would be worth it. Others, despite what you explain, will come back and say..."No one said a thing to me and now I want my money back." 

The question I do have...If the results were poor, and the procedure is done again by the same doctor, why would you think the results would be any different? I always laugh when I hear...."he is one of the pioneers...." If done wrong, the doctor has a lot of experience of still doing it wrong.  Obviously the same is true when the work is done properly.  And something else to consider is the patient. Perhaps the poor results are patient driven.

I do believe patients should return to the clinic at the intervals suggested by the clinic.  If something does go wrong, at least there is documented evidence.  Anyone can claim anything at any time.  This is very important to consider, from the doctor's perspective, when the patient has had work done by others, (elsewhere).  Now the patient can make all kinds of false claims.  It's crazy all that can happen.....Document, take photos, do research and think on your feet to avoid all these issues.