Happy with Dr. Ferreira Final Result

Ittiaz1

6 minutes ago, Ittiaz1 said:

Hello mate. Thanks for your advise. I had crown done too so maybe overall it is 3400+ 

I will definitely ask him about the compromised yield die to competing for blood supply.

Stupid question but how do I PM on here ? 

You can use the envelope icon above to send PMs.

From what I can see, you have thick caliber donor hair, so I don't believe graft transection would be the issue. 

If you discontinued minoxidil for more than 2 weeks, this may have caused your anagen/telogen cycles to become desynchronized, and perhaps that could have triggered a massive shed that has not recovered.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, asterix0 said:

You can use the envelope icon above to send PMs.

From what I can see, you have thick caliber donor hair, so I don't believe graft transection would be the issue. 

If you discontinued minoxidil for more than 2 weeks, this may have caused your anagen/telogen cycles to become desynchronized, and perhaps that could have triggered a massive shed that has not recovered.

I stopped minoxidil for two weeks after hair transplant as Dr advise. Then I started it again. 

My donor hair is thick that's right, but what about the hair that popped up on the scalp surface at 3 months and still hasn't grown. What are they doing? And what happened to them?

5 minutes ago, Ittiaz1 said:

I stopped minoxidil for two weeks after hair transplant as Dr advise. Then I started it again. 

My donor hair is thick that's right, but what about the hair that popped up on the scalp surface at 3 months and still hasn't grown. What are they doing? And what happened to them?

That is more difficult to say. Perhaps the slits and implantation were not done quite properly, and that caused compromised yield. You don't look to have donor miniaturization, so I would disregard that possibility. 

But also, looking at your immediate post operative pictures, maybe some grafts were placed too close together to grow properly. 

Edited by asterix0
  • Like 1

Does not look on track for 6 months being honest. There are no guarantees in hair surgeries they are a risk. Bruno ferrreria seems like a top doc so I would trust he did everything he could. Sometimes our bodies don’t react well to surgery eg lack of blood flow etc maybe check that out. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Coady said:

Does not look on track for 6 months being honest. There are no guarantees in hair surgeries they are a risk. Bruno ferrreria seems like a top doc so I would trust he did everything he could. Sometimes our bodies don’t react well to surgery eg lack of blood flow etc maybe check that out. 

All the test were done before hand so I don't know 

10 hours ago, qui bono said:

Everyone who has had a bad HT experience understands your concerns and frustrations, and while Im not trying to dismiss any of them it might help to focus on some of the positives;

- You are only 6 months and there is far more time to assess things. Realistically these are just the beginning stages of growth and its still far too early to judge - its really around month 9 -10 when all the transplanted hair has penetrated the surface and begins to thicken and mature. here is a link; 

Some guys are just slow growers as well. Try and take a break from looking in the mirror and focus on something else. take photos in the same lighting conditions then check again in a month. if you are overly concerned/self conscious about the density of the hairline concealers like dermatch of toppik would work pretty effectively given your pre-existing hair. 

- you have a doctor that responds to your emails, acknowledges your concerns and is offering to fix things. I tell you this from personal experience but finding a doc who does one of these things let alone all of them is RARE. Realistically clinics cant guarantee growth or anything like that, and it's you as the patient that takes on all the risks .. so the support youre getting from your doctor is the best it can possibly be.

- Ferriera has a reputation for great donor management and the extraction patters/size from the post-op pics look top notch. As long as you have a viable donor you have options. It also looks like you have a good beard, so again you have options. 

If you can put aside the time and money spent its not like you are disfigured or anything (i.e. your pre-op state is not dissimilar to your current state), and even you yourself admit you still have more time for growth. Give yourself a few more months before judging things and then assess how you want to proceed. Should the results not improve It might be good to get a 2nd opinion.

Other than that all I (or anyone else) can do is wish that your results improve as your transplanted hair goes through its various hair cycles and matures. 

It isn't just the time and money it's the emotional rollercoaster  one goes through. Maybe you have gone through yours but at the moment I'm going through mine and I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel. This is 6 months growth. I should be seeing at least 40% growth. This ain't that!!

I understand the Dr is trying his best to help and I really appreciate that. I just feel really down by the way my hair is. It's also the time and effort that was put in we seem to forget that. People have hair transplants to feel better,  I do not feel better at this stage. 

I don't use toppik and won't. Not for me. As far an another hair transplant is concerned... I don't know.. I don't think i can go through  this again. This has really be so stressful and depressing. I don't think i can do it again to be honest  

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Ittiaz1 said:

It isn't just the time and money it's the emotional rollercoaster  one goes through. Maybe you have gone through yours but at the moment I'm going through mine and I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel. This is 6 months growth. I should be seeing at least 40% growth. This ain't that!!

I understand the Dr is trying his best to help and I really appreciate that. I just feel really down by the way my hair is. It's also the time and effort that was put in we seem to forget that. People have hair transplants to feel better,  I do not feel better at this stage. 

I don't use toppik and won't. Not for me. As far an another hair transplant is concerned... I don't know.. I don't think i can go through  this again. This has really be so stressful and depressing. I don't think i can do it again to be honest  

Where are you getting “at least 40% growth” these figures aren’t accurate at all. There are no absolutes and no one-size-fits-all in hair transplant surgery. 

For some, growth comes at 5 months, for others, its 8 months. It’s like being 15 years old upset that you can’t grow a beard. Trust in the process, you’ve selected a good surgeon and I see growth, but it’s not matured yet. As the months progress you’ll see further maturation and hair thickening along with hair growth. 

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 hour ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Did you watch the video? It’s important to understand that not everyone grows at the same rate. There’s two very good examples there. 

Yes I have see the video, and to be honest it's not very helpful to me. You see those people in the video, they were having growth and then it turned out good. I've hardly got growth and it's month 6. But thank you very much anyway 

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, Ittiaz1 said:

Yes I have see the video, and to be honest it's not very helpful to me. You see those people in the video, they were having growth and then it turned out good. I've hardly got growth and it's month 6. But thank you very much anyway 

The example I posted on the video was @Cahustler the top picture is before surgery and the bottom is at 5 months. In my opinion, he looked worse at 5 months than he did before surgery. You must’ve not seen the full video. 

A56C0079-C93E-48A7-A10C-D78CAE488A27.jpeg

Now at 12 months 

image.jpeg

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

2 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

The example I posted on the video was @Cahustler the top picture is before surgery and the bottom is at 5 months. In my opinion, he looked worse at 5 months than he did before surgery. You must’ve not seen the full video. 

A56C0079-C93E-48A7-A10C-D78CAE488A27.jpeg

Now at 12 months 

image.jpeg

I did see it and that is a brilliant result. Fair play to him. 

Any idea about the short stubble that has been sitting on the scalp for months and not growing? What's becoming these? Are they dead ? Damaged ? I'm so curious about them 

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, Ittiaz1 said:

I did see it and that is a brilliant result. Fair play to him. 

Any idea about the short stubble that has been sitting on the scalp for months and not growing? What's becoming these? Are they dead ? Damaged ? I'm so curious about them 

Can you share pictures? I’m not sure they could be dead bulbs. 

View my thread

Just now, Melvin-Moderator said:

Can you share pictures? I’m not sure they could be dead bulbs. 

I have tried to take pictures but they are too small and difficult to see . I can only feel them. But they have'nt done anything. Not the slightest growth. If they are dead then they could be blocking hair from pushing through. 

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, Ittiaz1 said:

I have tried to take pictures but they are too small and difficult to see . I can only feel them. But they have'nt done anything. Not the slightest growth. If they are dead then they could be blocking hair from pushing through. 

Hard to say without seeing it. It could be they’re new hairs. 

View my thread

2 hours ago, asterix0 said:

@Ittiaz1 I am sorry to hear you are going through this. I can only imagine the frustration you must be feeling, you have my sympathies and I hope things turn around. 

I have a few points:

For the surface area covered, it doesn't seem like 3400+ grafts were used. This may be tedious, but with the additional pictures you have that are zoomed in and high resolution, could you do a manual count and see if indeed that is the amount that was applied?

Additionally, the transplantation was done around native hair, which is always tricker. Do you suppose that the combination of shock loss, plus native hair competing with donor hair for blood supply, may have compromised your yield? Perhaps this is something to ask Dr. Ferreira in a follow up e-mail. 

Also, for how long did you discontinue minoxidil before surgery, and when did you start using it again?

If you want to pm me any other details in addition to sharing them here publicly, I will be happy to talk to you more. 

This was just aftwr scabs cane off. No issues there either 

20210412_215704.jpg

1 hour ago, Ittiaz1 said:

They could be transplanted hairs that haven't shed yet. If that's the case, new hairs should push them out.

2 minutes ago, teeplant said:

They could be transplanted hairs that haven't shed yet. If that's the case, new hairs should push them out.

I would doubt that. It's been six months and nothinghas happened 

9 minutes ago, Ittiaz1 said:

I would doubt that. It's been six months and nothinghas happened 

If you are comfortable taking a tweezer and tugging only one of those hair you should be able to conclusively tell. If it comes out like a knife from butter, then it is a dead transplanted hair follicle that has yet to shed. Obviously if there is resistance, then that is a good sign and the hair should eventually grow. Keep in mind that new hair will grow slower than the native hair.

Edited by teeplant

6 hours ago, JayLDD said:

If he or others have the money to go to a surgeon that uses stick and place as well as being more meticulously hands on in general like Konior or Keser for example, then absolutely I'd recommend going elsewhere. In reality unless he has the money to do this its probably the best option to go back with Ferreira. I don't consider Ferreira at the absolute top end for hair transplant surgeons, but he's no clown. I would give him the benefit of the doubt.

Also has been said, I think he's likely to get some further improvement that leaves a position where a touch-up will achieve a good result. 

And if the patient goes back and gets another sub par result he's screwed because he won't have anymore hair to use.  We've seen different stories here of patients going back to the same place to get a bad hair transplant "fixed" and achieve no improvement.

Money is never the limiting factor, the amount of grafts are.  And they could be wasted.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, AB2000 said:

And if the patient goes back and gets another sub par result he's screwed

Generally speaking, sure. But at 6 months it's way too early to call.

We're so quick to acknowledge when someone grows early at 3 months. But not when someone grows late.

6 months versus finished:SAM_0988.JPG.913da5e46667c0ba0a76d5292442cc90.JPG

Edited by 1978matt
  • Like 1

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Really sorry to hear about this. While there is definitely room for improvement, I doubt it'll meet initial expectations. IMO hair transplants can just end up as luck of the draw, so experiences like these are super important for people to be aware of.

17 hours ago, Ittiaz1 said:

Had the crown done too, but I am not even bothered to look at that especially as the front looks atrocious.

Can you expand more on this? How many grafts did you have put into the crown, and how has the growth been there relative to the front?

• Administrators

Here’s my 6 months vs. 12. 

image.jpeg

View my thread

• Administrators
39 minutes ago, Ittiaz1 said:

Wow look great Melvin.  

Btw I did briefly speak to Dr. Ferreira, he said he was in communication with you and will stand by his work. A good sign of an ethical surgeon, while I know it doesn’t help your current feelings. I think it’s important for full context. I hope you end up satisfied in the end.

• Like 2

View my thread

11 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Btw I did briefly speak to Dr. Ferreira, he said he was in communication with you and will stand by his work. A good sign of an ethical surgeon, while I know it doesn’t help your current feelings. I think it’s important for full context. I hope you end up satisfied in the end.

Thanks. Like i said earlier I was in communication with him and our next contact would be in a months time. I do hope I end up satisfied. Thanks melvin

• Like 1