New 5% minoxidil, 0.05% fin topical.

Jd98

I had a hair transplant around 7 months ago, it’s looking decent. The crown is a bit thin still even though I had hair implanted. But that is done now. I want to start using my new topical but I believe I have some scalp inflammation, the skin isn’t red but feels a bit itchy, sore sometimes and wondering if I was okay to use it? Would this aggregate my hairloss even more? I’m a diffuse thinner. Hoping I can thicken up the hair after that transplant and keep as much of my native hair at possible. Bit lost in what to do so any help would be great. Thanks guys. 

13C428E0-2489-4FAE-BF4F-B7D6C846504E.jpeg

7CFB648B-FB77-4254-BC42-9E376AC085CE.jpeg

Minoxidil will make your scalp inflammation worse. I wouldn't do it. You should see a dermatologist.

Medication for Male Pattern Baldness: Topical Dutasteride - Topical Minoxidil 5% - Ketoconazole Shampoo

Medication for Cicatricial Alopecia: Hydroxychloroquine  - Topical Clobestasol - Doxycycline

• Administrators

0.5 is too much finasteride. The standard is 0.1 or 0.25. Where’s the bottle coming from? 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, bricvic said:

It's not 0.5, it's 0.05. 

That’s still higher than the recommendation. It’s 0.01 to 0.025 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

2 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

0.5 is too much finasteride. The standard is 0.1 or 0.25. Where’s the bottle coming from? 

It’s called getfreshmans.com 

I thought the 0.05 twice a day was that standard?

40 minutes ago, Jd98 said:

It’s called getfreshmans.com 

I thought the 0.05 twice a day was that standard?

Where is the product being made? Have you taken it to a compounding pharmacy or chemistry group to see if it's legit?

Edited by Dr. Suhail Khokhar
  • Like 1

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

If you have only minor scalp skin irritation, before you waste money on a doctor visit try to change up your shampoo regimen. You could have a mild moisture or yeast imbalance issue. You could start with a gentle shampoo or try an over-the-counter medicated shampoo, something like Head & Shoulders or Selsun Blue that have zinc pyrithione or selenium sulfide, or Nizoral that has ketoconazole.

6 hours ago, shami26 said:

Minoxidil will make your scalp inflammation worse. I wouldn't do it. You should see a dermatologist.

Minoxidil itself is not what causes the skin irritation in most of the guys that do experience that. Its the other ingredients commonly found in topical solutions, particularly propylene glycol, which is basically the alcohol in the solution that helps the minoxidil penetrate your skin.

For what its worth, the label on this says it's "PG-Free," probably referring to propylene glycol, and "alcohol-free" which would be a redundant way of saying pretty much the same thing. Their FAQ says.

Like all medicines, this Topical Finasteride with Minoxidil can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them. The most common side effects are itching and skin irritation of the treated area of the scalp. If scalp irritation continues, you should stop using the medicine and discuss your symptoms with your doctor.

https://getfreshman.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016530079-What-are-the-potential-side-effects-of-Topical-Finasteride-with-Minoxidil-

But I couldn't find a list of the inactive ingredients on the site. The company website does looks better than most I've seen as far as appearing to be legit, but their labeling appears to be a little slippery. Like @Dr. Suhail Khokhar says I'd have your bottle analyzed before committing.

Edited by ciaus

16 minutes ago, ciaus said:

If you have only minor scalp skin irritation, before you waste money on a doctor visit try to change up your shampoo regimen. You could have a mild moisture or yeast imbalance issue. You could start with a gentle shampoo or try an over-the-counter medicated shampoo, something like Head & Shoulders or Selsun Blue that have zinc pyrithione or selenium sulfide, or Nizoral that has ketoconazole.

Minoxidil itself is not what causes the skin irritation in most of the guys that do experience that. Its the other ingredients commonly found in topical solutions, particularly propylene glycol, which is basically the alcohol in the solution that helps the minoxidil penetrate your skin.

For what its worth, the label on this says it's "PG-Free," probably referring to propylene glycol, and "alcohol-free" which would be a redundant way of saying pretty much the same thing. Their FAQ says.

Like all medicines, this Topical Finasteride with Minoxidil can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them. The most common side effects are itching and skin irritation of the treated area of the scalp. If scalp irritation continues, you should stop using the medicine and discuss your symptoms with your doctor.

https://getfreshman.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016530079-What-are-the-potential-side-effects-of-Topical-Finasteride-with-Minoxidil-

But I couldn't find a list of the inactive ingredients on the site. The company website does looks better than most I've seen as far as appearing to be legit, but their labeling appears to be a little slippery. Like @Dr. Suhail Khokhar says I'd have your bottle analyzed before committing.

I’ve been using nizoral every couple of days. I might use something like baby shampoo on the other days. I thought it would be legit, seen all the adverts in tv so I would have guess it was all above board but it’s definitely a good idea to get it analysed and see what exactly is in it. Thanks for the help man. 

40 minutes ago, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

Where is the product being made? Have you taken it to a compounding pharmacy or chemistry group to see if it's legit?

Hi dr, I haven’t had it check but it’s a good idea to. I saw their adverts on tv and assumed they was legit but that’s not always the case