Why Isn't Topical Finasteride/Dutasteride More Popular?

• Administrators

There was a thread started not too long ago asking why topical finasteride isn't sold by big pharmaceutical companies, but had me thinking. Why isn't topical finasteride more popular. Given how effective it has shown to be on limited studies, there should be a huge demand and a lot of outlets selling topical finasteride. What do you guys think? Would love to hear the communities input. 

Why Isn't Topical Finasteride and Dutasteride More Popular?

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Valued Contributor

A brilliant question Melvin and I'm a little stunned as to why it's not far more readily available. Also I stagger to imagine how many hair transplant candidates would consider a transplant if it were more accessible (like finasteride). Not to mention the benefit for those who have had a hair transplant.

• Like 1

I agree. Topical fin should be more accessible and affordable. It shouldn't cost $70 a month either.

Medication for Male Pattern Baldness: Topical Dutasteride - Topical Minoxidil 5% - Ketoconazole Shampoo

Medication for Cicatricial Alopecia: Hydroxychloroquine  - Topical Clobestasol - Doxycycline

• Administrators
11 hours ago, Gatsby said:

A brilliant question Melvin and I'm a little stunned as to why it's not far more readily available. Also I stagger to imagine how many hair transplant candidates would consider a transplant if it were more accessible (like finasteride). Not to mention the benefit for those who have had a hair transplant.

If only there were a legit pharmacy willing to compound it for cheap. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, shami26 said:

I agree. Topical fin should be more accessible and affordable. It shouldn't cost $70 a month either.

0.25 costs $100 which is insane.

View my thread

In Europe - I think it's because it is not a "free" medication which you can simply buy in the pharmacy like Ibuprofen. You need to go to a DOC and get a receipt for it in order to get it. That's why there is no possibility to make commercial advertisement for it like regaine/rogaine and so on...

11 hours ago, Gatsby said:

We can't underestimate how a loud minority, mingled with some trolls, can make problems, and financial opportunities, appear orders of magnitude larger than they actually are. Its true in real life and even more so online. The problem right out of the gate for anyone to make a business of this is trying to develop strategy and allocate resources based on online forums and other anti-finasteride rabbit holes.

The reasons I think the topicals will never go mainstream is

-the very low incidence of side effects with the oral pill

-millions already taking the pill year after year

-the pill is very cheap

-human behavior/psychology: we crave convenience, tend toward being lazy, and would thus prefer to pop a pill rather than mess with slathering a liquid all over our heads every day.

I think topical formula operations can be successful, but they'll be small and have to continually calibrate their resources to stay profitable, accounting for variables like guys just 'easing' their way into taking the pill.

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2012/020788s020s021s023lbl.pdf

image.png.0e3d2115428b4ec07569c51cb9a10020.png

https://clincalc.com/DrugStats/Drugs/Finasteride

image.png.90ea16251c111319322ff5525afd97d6.png

Good article @Melvin-Moderator.

Speaking of business opportunity, if it's too tiny for big pharma, I think this is something transplant surgeons should take interest in. If it means they have a greater adherence rate from their patients and therefore better results and potentially lesser real or nocebo side effects, then it would mean better business for surgeons. My doctor told me how frequently he has to refuse to operate on young patients who refuse to take oral Finasteride, so that is a business opportunity for sure.

I only hope there is agreement between reputed surgeons and an established protocol to administer and monitor such a topical product.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, bald-and-bearded said:

Speaking of business opportunity, if it's too tiny for big pharma, I think this is something transplant surgeons should take interest in. If it means they have a greater adherence rate from their patients and therefore better results and potentially lesser real or nocebo side effects, then it would mean better business for surgeons. My doctor told me how frequently he has to refuse to operate on young patients who refuse to take oral Finasteride, so that is a business opportunity for sure.

I only hope there is agreement between reputed surgeons and an established protocol to administer and monitor such a topical product.

The issue is that the cost to compound it is expensive. Plus shipping costs, customer service. It’s not worth it in my opinion. Unless, it can be compounded at a reasonable cost.

• Like 2

View my thread

2 hours ago, bald-and-bearded said:

It's a LOT of work that goes into finding a trustworthy compounding pharmacy that can do this for a reasonable price. The other issue is you need to have a critical mass of patients who would want to buy this product in order for it to be fruitful for the surgeon to invest so much time/money into this endeavor. This isn't to mention the shipping/handling, storage costs, customer service issues, dealing with fraud from vendors and patients, etc.

I am currently trying to find a trustworthy compounding pharmacy to do this. The compounding pharmacies in the US charge so much that it's not even worth it. I can give you the fee schedule that they sent me to give you guys an idea, if you're interested.

• Like 3

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

• Administrators
43 minutes ago, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

It's a LOT of work that goes into finding a trustworthy compounding pharmacy that can do this for a reasonable price. The other issue is you need to have a critical mass of patients who would want to buy this product in order for it to be fruitful for the surgeon to invest so much time/money into this endeavor. This isn't to mention the shipping/handling, storage costs, customer service issues, dealing with fraud from vendors and patients, etc.

I am currently trying to find a trustworthy compounding pharmacy to do this. The compounding pharmacies in the US charge so much that it's not even worth it. I can give you the fee schedule that they sent me to give you guys an idea, if you're interested.

Yes please post it. I was going to, but didn’t since I thought it would come from you. In my opinion, you’d have to get it compounded out of the US. Perhaps, Europe or South America. 

• Like 1

View my thread

Is it not possible do crush the pills and mix with a cream/oil that absorbs into skin ?? 
I stopped taking fin not long ago but would be interested in topical as the side effects would be minimised ? 

7 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Yes please post it. I was going to, but didn’t since I thought it would come from you. In my opinion, you’d have to get it compounded out of the US. Perhaps, Europe or South America. 

Here is the fee schedule for different compositions of finasteride/minoxidil that I received from a very reputable US compounding pharmacy. As you can see, it's cost prohibitive to do this in the US. I'm looking at some reputable foreign compounding pharmacies to see if they have better pricing. Before I give these to my patients, I would obviously check to see if the composition is legit by working with a US based biochemistry group. 

image.thumb.jpeg.f4c69a8ebb0636b58489dbb44c0e9c49.jpeg

• Like 1

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Deanomag said:

Is it not possible do crush the pills and mix with a cream/oil that absorbs into skin ?? 
I stopped taking fin not long ago but would be interested in topical as the side effects would be minimised ? 

I don’t think it works that way, it needs to be synthesized with a good vehicle for absorption. But I’m no doctor lol. @Dr. Suhail Khokhar

View my thread

5 hours ago, bald-and-bearded said:

There was another thread on a similar topic about some topical product from India. I tagged Dr. Suhail on there. Is it necessary to have minoxidil mixed with Finasteride?

No, you don't need both in the same solution. It just makes it easier and more convenient though to have both 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

No, you don't need both in the same solution. It just makes it easier and more convenient though to have both 

If not minoxidil, what is the simplest thing to mix Finasteride with so that it gets absorbed through the skin?