Transplanting safely between existing hair

2 hours ago, aaron1234 said:

Well, maybe not the whole donor region for FUT - just the area the strip is excised.  But shaving the recipient area if you have a lot of native hair will help the doctor minimize shock loss. 

Hmmm. I knew trimming down the recipient area was best for the Doc to find true hair direction angles for incision. Didn’t know it helps shock loss prevention too. Thanks. 

• 3 weeks later...

So I requested Dr Konior to read this thread to understand my hair loss situation. He replied soon after that he has read this tread. I was very impressed by his quick response, accessibility and clear communication skills. What a professional!!
He says I am an eligible candidate for a HT and any opinion that I am not is just wrong. I will need the stick and place method to minimize shock loss chances. 1600-2000 grafts HT range.

I can go for FUE or FUT. Both options work for me. I’m still trying to figure out which one would be best.  
I don’t cut my hair too short from the sides and back and a small scar is not going to show through my donor area. 

I asked if my thick donor hair might be an issue in the hair line as I want a softer natural hair line as a first priority. He said that with FUE the option to selectively choose grafts and select from the nape region allows for a softer hair line. 
So I figure FUE will give a more natural looking hair line. My research tells me that FUT gives a higher graft yield and  survivability as well as better donor management for future. So I’m still not sure which route to take at the moment. 

Things are much clearer now thanks to this forum and the advice of the members here. I’m very grateful for all your comments and suggestions. Thank you all 😊

• Like 1

These are my latest hair pics I just took. Some of the earlier pics were 2 years old. Feels like the hair strands have gotten thicker than before. I used a new shampoo for almost a year before that I suspect was thinning my hair. Since I’ve discontinued it for almost a year now I feel hair shafts look thicker.
Plz advise after seeing the pics which option would be best FUE or FUT? Thanks. 

DFD45BD0-6E0D-4517-A3DB-41CD5DB56E69.jpeg

AD8ED3B9-1AB1-492D-BA16-FC27E5556A77.jpeg

5298CEA7-A921-42C2-B975-26424754AD20.jpeg

0D12B74C-429B-4B77-BDC0-C37AE4706136.jpeg

D4752FEA-15E9-4D73-AB27-B3FAAAD3F10D.jpeg

Obviously it’s your choice to make but I think I would opt for FUE in your case. Your current hair is very good. Even using 2000 grafts would still leave you with a lot in reserve. Your donor area looks pretty amazing. 

• Thanks 1

Personally I would avoid going within your current hairs as they are still very dense.

I would do a dense packing in the front 0.5cm + temples, which would greatly cover your, minor, issue. 

Edited by Kharmacoma
  • Thanks 1

FUE for the reasons Dr K outlined - its going to be important for your particular case to pick out the softer and smaller single hairs to build and create a natural looking hairline, as you almost certainly have above average hair thickness.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kharmacoma said:

Personally I would avoid going within your current hairs as they are still very dense.

I would do a dense packing in the front 0.5cm + temples, which would greatly cover your, minor, issue. 

Some hairs will have to be transplanted in and around this area, for the transition in connecting the currently bald areas to the forelock, however not huge amounts - and nothing too severe that will endanger the native follicles. 

Edited by Curious25
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

There is so much discussion on the forum about taking oral/topical medication for hair stabilization, before and after a HT. Medication side effects range from unnoticeable to devastating. I’m 45 and never took any medication. 
My question is that should I try medication out? I don’t notice any hair thinning in the crown region. The front region that has lost some density seems stable with hardy any noticeable miniature hair. I’m not shedding hair during hair wash as much as I used to years ago. Hair loss seems pretty stable tbh. The frontotemporal recess area is gone. No way medication will help with that. 
I read somewhere that these medications aren’t that useful after 45. So is experimenting with medication worth the risk? Also is there any benefit of starting medication some months before and after HT in a case like mine?
Thank you. 

One thing that I have concluded from my research is that for a case like mine the best way to avoid shock loss to existing hair is to use 100% stick and place method only for minimal scalp damage. I can’t find a better Doctor for that than Dr Konior. I’m currently trying to save up for a procedure with him a few years down the line. Quite an expensive investment 😅

Jurys still out if I should go for FUE or FUT but there’s still time to think over it.