How much should I tip after each SMP session

While SMP does need to be touched up every few years, sometimes longer or sooner depending on how your body retains the ink, its not at the level of something like a meal or barbershop visit. In my research I haven't come across any discussions on customary tipping, even for the touchup sessions. Your initial procedure is probably going to cost anywhere from $1000 up to $5000 depending on how much you need done. Touchups will be in the $100s of dollars minimum.

I think its safe to assume those prices include everything your SMP artist feels justify their work and skills. And you don't want to make it more difficult for your SMP artist to file his income taxes. :D

• Administrators

I didn’t know smp would require a tip. I assume its a few thousand. Generally, you tip for things that aren’t that expensive.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I’ve never expected or felt disappointed if a client doesn’t leave a tip. Occasionally clients do give me something as a gesture of appreciation for the work I performed or the positive change I may have made in their life (i.e., once a client gave me a gift card to a local gourmet shop I recommend him to). I’d say do something extra if you’re really pleased with the work and you really want to. But you are certainly not expected to tip. 

Edited by hairthere

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

• Valued Contributor

I haven’t ‘tipped’ but after my recent four year touch up I bought a thank you card and a $100 flower bouquet and had it delivered.

When I had my first SMP procedure I bought a thank you card and an expensive bottle of wine from memory. It’s just nice to let that SMP artist know how much a life changing event can mean to you. 

• Like 1

Just now, Gatsby said:

I haven’t ‘tipped’ but after my recent four year touch up I bought a thank you card and a $100 flower bouquet and had it delivered.

When I had my first SMP procedure I bought a thank you card and an expensive bottle of wine from memory. It’s just nice to let that SMP artist know how much a life changing event can mean to you. 

Agreed it’s a nice gesture for sure 👏

• Thanks 1

• Administrators
14 hours ago, hairthere said:

I’ve never expected or felt disappointed if a client doesn’t leave a tip. Occasionally clients do give me something as a gesture of appreciation for the work I performed or the positive change I may have made in their life (i.e., once a client gave me a gift card to a local gourmet shop I recommend him to). I’d say do something extra if you’re really pleased with the work and you really want to. But you are certainly not expected to tip. 

How much is an average SMP session?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

10 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

How much is an average SMP session?

An average 3-session package for a Shaved Look client (creating a hairline and giving full density front to crown) runs between $2500-$3000 USD depending on Norwood level. If scars need to be addressed the cost will be a bit higher. Then touchups will cost much less because you're just doing one session typically. 

Edited by hairthere
  • Thanks 1

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

• Administrators
2 hours ago, hairthere said:

An average 3-session package for a Shaved Look client (creating a hairline and giving full density front to crown) runs between $2500-$3000 USD depending on Norwood level. If scars need to be addressed the cost will be a bit higher. Then touchups will cost much less because you're just doing one session typically. 

Thanks for the information, is the cost different for someone who wants the look of more density. For example, they had a hair transplant and only want SMP to augment the appearance of fullness.

View my thread

9 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Thanks for the information, is the cost different for someone who wants the look of more density. For example, they had a hair transplant and only want SMP to augment the appearance of fullness.

I got quotes from 2 reputable places. One place charged $2500 for the first two sessions, then an additional $700 for a third session if it was needed (they said for density treatments most people don’t need a third session). If a fourth session was needed it was free. 

the other place I got a quote from charged a flat $3000 for three sessions. They said they always do three sessions regardless. 

with both places, this was a quote for a full scalp (hairline to bottom of crown) density treatment. Neither included any sort of scar repair, that would be extra. 

I did not get a quote on the shave look SMP from either place so I can’t compare the pricing between the two. 

Edited by EvoXOhio

Pricing for thickening effect would be roughly the same as it would for Shaved Effect. I no longer offer Thickening Effect procedures, though. 

49 minutes ago, hairthere said:

I no longer offer Thickening Effect procedures, though. 

How come?

It was only a few weeks ago there was a thread on here talking about SMP for density and some of the results shared looked amazing. 

• Administrators
2 hours ago, hairthere said:

Pricing for thickening effect would be roughly the same as it would for Shaved Effect. I no longer offer Thickening Effect procedures, though. 

Why is that? 

View my thread

6 hours ago, hairthere said:

I no longer offer Thickening Effect procedures, though. 

5 hours ago, Curious25 said:

How come?

It was only a few weeks ago there was a thread on here talking about SMP for density and some of the results shared looked amazing. 

My guess would be Its hard applying a permanent solution to a progressing problem. 

Enough of the customers keep losing hair and become more unsatisfied with the overall effect. There's a point, even with taking the meds in some guys, where the hair loss will progress and expose too much ink. 

The main reason is that it’s a tough /taxing procedure physically on myself and my machine. I only inject at .5mm (upper dermis) and in order to push that needle through long hair it takes extra effort. The cost of replacing damaged dermographers just was not worth it. 

I also find that guys who want long hair tend to have unrealistic expectations of the SMP and they really want long hair. 

• Administrators
15 hours ago, hairthere said:

The main reason is that it’s a tough /taxing procedure physically on myself and my machine. I only inject at .5mm (upper dermis) and in order to push that needle through long hair it takes extra effort. The cost of replacing damaged dermographers just was not worth it. 

I also find that guys who want long hair tend to have unrealistic expectations of the SMP and they really want long hair. 

I know you've had several HT procedures yourself, do you shave your head now? I was considering SMP, obviously I would shave my head for the procedure, but eventually I would grow it out. Currently I use toppik and dermmatch, my hope was that the smp eliminate the need to use both, or at least use less. Do you think it's not worth it for someone in my position?

View my thread

No I wear my hair long. I have 3 strip scars so would need some repair work before I could ever shave.

The problem with SMP for thickening in my opinion is the other products you mentioned all provide some type of real density. The increased diameter from fibers, etc. blocks light from reflecting off your scalp. This is what prevents that thinning look. SMP only cuts the contrast of dark hair on light skin. It helps in some situations but depending on lighting, wet hair, hair with product, it's just not as effective. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've seen some great SMP results online, but, without fail, every single one I've seen in real life has been unnatural and horrific. 

edit: except on black guys

Edited by rj.