Looking at options in Australia due to international travel ban, any suggestions

Hi everyone, hoping to get some advice on potentially getting a HT in the near future.

Initially the plan was to go and get my hairline fixed in Turkey or anywhere overseas (somewhere with decent quality of course) however with the international travel ban in place (we can't even get any consistency with domestic travel) in Australia, our vaccinations barely even underway and not wanting to wait until who knows how long, I have thought about doing it locally in Melbourne.

I am 30 and have been on finasteride for the last 2.5 years which has helped to stabilise my hairloss with the issue to me being my hairline and I'm tired of having my fringe over the bald spot in the centre of my hair line (drive me insane in the summer), as well as my crown thinned out as well but this hasn't been too bad fortunately as the fin helped before it got too bad. I just want a normal looking hairline again really.

I've attached some photos of how my hairline looks as well as the crown when wet & dry.

I know the surgery is very costly here and I'm honestly not sure of the quality of the surgeons here but have though that I'd rather do it locally sometime this year than wait potentially 2 years and get it done overseas, can anyone recommend anyone locally?

Thanks a lot everyone!

20210327_124400.jpg

20210327_124343.jpg

20200724_132506.jpg

20200721_235806.jpg

• Valued Contributor

@IcyraindropsI also live in Melbourne and I’m also waiting on overseas travel to commence for my surgery with Eugenix. But from someone who was butchered by a surgeon in Melbourne and having assessed most hair transplant surgeons in Australia over the past 35 years I strongly advise you to wait. Australia has the most unethical and in some cases corrupt surgeons in the world. On top of this you you get the privilege of paying Hasson and Wong prices for the privilege! They have nowhere near the skill set of surgeons overseas. The hairline is the first thing people see. More importantly it’s the first thing you’ll see in the mirror for the rest of your life! You are far more better off in getting it done right the first time if that means waiting than wishing you had have waited for the rest of your life. Take care. 

• Like 3

Thanks very much all of you, very clear the consensus is to stay far away from anywhere locally and just wait it out unfortunately and definitely would rather FUE Thank FUT done and for now, I'm fine with just the hairline as crown is thin but I can live with it for now unless prices to get it done are amazing.

Didn't realise Thailand was a good option that is much closer than Turkey and may be possible in the near future, who is worthwhile there? I did also get someone elsewhere to mention a Dr Ma in Singapore but wasn't able to find much on him, any ideas there?

I've spoken to Dr Erdogan in Turkey as well as AEK Clinic, FUECapilar, Dr Cinik, are any of these on the avoid list?

Thanks again everyone, all of this info has helped massively already.

Well yes to be honest you can do much better than all of those clinics/Drs. It’s really mostly just hair mills your mentioning.

If you want a better option in Turkey please consider Dr Bicer. Lots of current results on the forum and currently under consideration for being recommended! 
She is doing one patient per day and is fully involved in every step. 

Edited by JohnAC71

12 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

Well yes to be honest you can do much better than all of those clinics/Drs. It’s really mostly just hair mills your mentioning.

If you want a better option in Turkey please consider Dr Bicer. Lots of current results on the forum and currently under consideration for being recommended! 

Does that include Erdogan? I found out the others were mills (though apparently the better mills) and thought he was different, at least judging from his price and some of the info online.

Just looked up Dr Bicer and this is Ozlem Bicer right? Her prices seem cheaper than most of the reputable ones there from memory, I've never heard of this clinic before but will definitely look some more into it, what other info have you got on this clinic mate?

Ok so Dr Erdogan/Asmed are very capable of putting out some excellent results. But you will see they do multiple patients per day. And so the package you choose will need to involve the Dr Erdogan as much as possible. 

Edited by JohnAC71
  • Like 1

• Administrators
4 hours ago, qui bono said:

Dr Path and his protege Dr Laorwong in Thailand. They have some REALLY impressive clinic postings and are worth searching here and going through their patient results. I think ive seen one result by Dr Ma in Singapore (it was amazing), but I believe the HT industry there is regulated so they cant advertise or something like that. A guy posted their result recently and mentioned it

Asmed/Erdogan probably wouldnt be the best choice for your specific situation, as they generally quote much higher grafts than needed counts and seem to prefer doing megasessions. Their hairlines aren't as aesthetic IMO as well, and were removed from the list of recommended doctors last year. They do have some impressive results though so its not like they are all bad as well. If you were still thinking about Turkey then Demisroy is probably the most budget friendly option (a friend of mine got repaired there and he looked great).

Dr. Laorwong and Path are definitely great and somewhat close. I never realized how far Australia is from the world until I went to Bali and realized it’s even further. Yea Dr. Ma looks like a good contender from what I’ve seen (though limited). As for asmed, they have great results that’s true, they have some not so great, which is true for every surgeon. Ultimately, the fact they operate on 6 patients a day removes them automatically from our list. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I think as far as Asmed is concerned, they are doing multiple patients a day. That being said he does have two other individuals performing the surgery. One is a doctor and the other is an assistant, which is why you might have heard that they do multiple procedures. They have three packages, one for €1.50, €1.90 and 2.50, with only the latter one guaranteeing you involvement from Dr Erdogan. I think he does 1-2 patients a day, with the other doctor doing more, but don't quote me on that.

As others have mentioned he does have some very impressive results, and I considered him as well, but some of the negative results and how they were dealt with, kind of put me off. I am unsure how things are now though

Dr Biçer, is a good option, and I am leaning towards her for my next procedure. She usually schedules face to face consults via skype or whatsapp which can give you a better picture of the Doctor's surgical plan

• Like 2

On 3/31/2021 at 10:50 PM, Icyraindrops said:

Does that include Erdogan? I found out the others were mills (though apparently the better mills) and thought he was different, at least judging from his price and some of the info online.

Just looked up Dr Bicer and this is Ozlem Bicer right? Her prices seem cheaper than most of the reputable ones there from memory, I've never heard of this clinic before but will definitely look some more into it, what other info have you got on this clinic mate?

Dr. Bicer isn't in the league of ASMED. Their marketing and instagram are approaching trash tier. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLUTFJHDv3t/

Sorry to the people recommending on this thread, but this looks terribly unnatural in every way. An Instagram should be the place for the clinics deemed top results. This is nowhere near par. Sometimes I feel like I'm too hostile in my critiques but recommendation of Bicer just reminds me that indeed a lot of people just lack any level of aesthetic judgement. 

It sounds like your budget isn't endless, in terms of the mentioned clinics ASMED would easily be my choice (being biased in that I went there myself). I think Keser in Turkey would be a fantastic option for your hairline, at a slightly higher cost and with a more doctor driven procedure. However your crown is probably better off with a few thousand grafts and in my case Erdogan did a very impressive job at giving crown the appearance of good coverage and density without huge graft numbers. If you opt for them I would go for the package with Erdogan doing the incisions. If you only want hairline work (and its probably at very most 1500 grafts) Keser would be a good choice, if you want crown and hairline I'd go ASMED.

Interesting all the Melbournites here (myself included). 

I would add to the consensus that Australia is subpar in regards to hair transplants and should be avoided entirely. Quite frankly, the standards for the price are a disgrace.  

On 3/31/2021 at 10:34 PM, JohnAC71 said:

Thanks for all of the additional information again guys, it's clear that Turkey and now Thailand with Dr Path are the way to go, only issue with Turkey is their covid cases are thru the roof still and while it's still some way off, it maybe be a long time before we'll get there while we may get an Asian travel bubble. Dr Paths results on their site look fantastic, does anyone know what he charges roughly? 

If Dr Bicer is only behind Dr Erdogan in terms of marketing, I can manage I think as price will be a bigger factor there.

Budget isn't super constricted since I was ready to do it locally but would still like to not be super expensive, have been quoted about 1000 grafts for the hairline and anywhere between another 1-2000 for the crown (one place even said the crown wasn't thing enough to work with yet). 

Edited by Icyraindrops

7 minutes ago, Icyraindrops said:

Thanks for all of the additional information again guys, it's clear that Turkey and now Thailand with Dr Path are the way to go, only issue with Turkey is their covid cases are thru the roof still and while it's still some way off, it maybe be a long time before we'll get there while we may get an Asian travel bubble. Dr Paths results on their site look fantastic, does anyone know what he charges roughly? 

If Dr Bicer is only behind Dr Erdogan in terms of marketing, I can manage I think as price will be a bigger factor there.

Budget isn't super constricted since I was ready to do it locally but would still like to not be super expensive, have been quoted about 1000 grafts for the hairline and anywhere between another 1-2000 for the crown (one place even said the crown wasn't thing enough to work with yet). 

When I say their marketing is a redflag, I'm saying that even the cases they're advertising often look unnatural.  If the cases they're advertising don't look good, then the average case they're not advertising is unlikely to look even baseline level. 

I have no idea how you drew that conclusion from what I wrote but ok. 

2 minutes ago, JayLDD said:

When I say their marketing is a redflag, I'm saying that even the cases they're advertising often look unnatural.  If the cases they're advertising don't look good, then the average case they're not advertising is unlikely to look even baseline level. 

Sorry mate, no idea myself but that's a valid point. It's similar to people suggesting places like Hair of Istanbul because of high IG followers and they post up some shoddy work that's been edited. 

I'll have a look at their socials but the positive is the word of mouth on here is pretty good, initially I was happy to go to a mill prior to researching anything so looking for anything better now

• Administrators

@JayLDD

You have every right to voice your opinion, but aesthetics are subjective let’s be clear on that. There’s a recent review from @IanH which shows excellent growth and aesthetics in my opinion, another case on her recommendation thread where the patient looks very similar to Deb1982 who got a fantastic result. Someone even commented on Instagram how @Craig2412 hairline was ridiculous and unnatural (I disagree strongly). My point is, as good as some may think a result is, others may think the opposite and that’s okay.

Let’s look at the facts, she is patient-centered. According to her patients her aftercare is top-notch very caring and helpful. Her yield is good, donors also look good. Now, hairline design and placement, that’s a matter of taste. @Icyraindrops I don’t think comparing Bicer to a hair mill like HOI is fair in the slightest. She has plenty of verifiable reviews here. 

Now as for ASMED. Yes we did remove Erdogan last year. Particularly because we received a lot of complaints. However, the biggest reason was the number of surgeries the clinic does a day, it’s six on record. But I was sent proof a screenshot that showed 8 surgeries at one time. Unfortunately, that would categorize them as a mill. We simply cannot recommend that as there’s too many variables.

There is no doubt that Erdogan is extremely skilled, probably one of the best in the world for FUE. Personally, I like him, he’s pleasant and has always been nice to me. If he were to ever perform surgery alone, as he did in 2010 and charge a premium for him to extract and do everything like Konior. I would 100% bring him back and would recommend him all the time. But until then I would not recommend a clinic of various technicians doing the work over a skilled physician. Too many variables to consider. Overall, I think the safer bet is choosing a surgeon who does the work because you know the reviews and results can be replicated. 

• Like 4

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

22 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Let’s look at the facts, she is patient-centered. According to her patients her aftercare is top-notch very caring and helpful. Her yield is good, donors also look good. Now, hairline design and placement, that’s a matter of taste. @Icyraindrops I don’t think comparing Bicer to a hair mill like HOI is fair in the slightest. She has plenty of verifiable reviews here. 

You're right @Melvin-Moderator and it certainly wasn't meant to be a comparison in terms of results, just that the social media comment can show or hide any type of work done and isn't a fair reflection of what is good or not with HOI showing a lot of their better work but I've defeinitely seen a lot of their not good stuff online. I'd take the commentary on here over what social media does or does not show.

Her prices are definitely much more budget friendly and having seen the reviews here, seems as though getting in contact with her clinic would be a good idea. So do her techs do any of the important work or is everything done by her?

• Administrators
18 minutes ago, Icyraindrops said:

You're right @Melvin-Moderator and it certainly wasn't meant to be a comparison in terms of results, just that the social media comment can show or hide any type of work done and isn't a fair reflection of what is good or not with HOI showing a lot of their better work but I've defeinitely seen a lot of their not good stuff online. I'd take the commentary on here over what social media does or does not show.

Her prices are definitely much more budget friendly and having seen the reviews here, seems as though getting in contact with her clinic would be a good idea. So do her techs do any of the important work or is everything done by her?

She does the extractions and creates the sites. Her technicians place the grafts. Some surgeons feel techs do a better job placing the grafts. I think extractions are important and the creation of the sites are the most critical. 

• Like 1

View my thread

I just posted a related topic last night. When I had my HT in 2016 at H&W with Dr. Wong, the techs placed all of the grafts. Dr. Wong removed the strip (FUT) and made the incisions but it was the techs that did all of the graft prep and placement.

On 4/2/2021 at 6:01 AM, JayLDD said:

You may have been a lucky one to get the procedure done personally by koray....since he has upscaled Asmed he’s taken a back seat and very very rarely performs any procedures....all work done by his team and the results vary in quality...a far cry from what it used to be. I’ve never heard a bad word about dr bicer and her credentials speak for itself....to say koray is out of her league is just not true,I’ve had few friends go to dr bicer and seen many many cases on lots different forums including here and the results are phenomenal and very natural,guess you have a soft spot for koray. 

• Valued Contributor
On 4/2/2021 at 3:51 PM, Icyraindrops said:

If you have the budget to have surgery here then you can afford the best in the world. Remember to do your research with results as your number one goal. In the long run it will not only be cheaper but will remove as many variables as possible that can compromise the experience. An experience affects your appearance for the rest of your life. All the best!

• Like 1

On 3/30/2021 at 1:06 PM, Gatsby said:

@IcyraindropsI also live in Melbourne and I’m also waiting on overseas travel to commence for my surgery with Eugenix. But from someone who was butchered by a surgeon in Melbourne and having assessed most hair transplant surgeons in Australia over the past 35 years I strongly advise you to wait. Australia has the most unethical and in some cases corrupt surgeons in the world. On top of this you you get the privilege of paying Hasson and Wong prices for the privilege! They have nowhere near the skill set of surgeons overseas. The hairline is the first thing people see. More importantly it’s the first thing you’ll see in the mirror for the rest of your life! You are far more better off in getting it done right the first time if that means waiting than wishing you had have waited for the rest of your life. Take care. 

What's your HT objective at this point?  You went the SMP route to cover up for bad prior procedures but you have enough hair to try again?

• Valued Contributor
10 minutes ago, AB2000 said:

What's your HT objective at this point?  You went the SMP route to cover up for bad prior procedures but you have enough hair to try again?

I’m waiting until I can go to Eugenix. I will be accessing beads grafts as well as scalp grafts.

• Like 1