SMP for thickening effect diffuse thinning hair and create density

Considering a diffuse thining hair stage. Something like the photo below. Where hair is not going to be buzzed but can be cut longer if necessary.

I see photos of SMP taken indoors and looks good, okay, but how the results look when hair is exposed 1) to the sun, bright light, outdoors and 2) wet hair that causes thinning hair look even more thiner. How does it look? Can someone tell there's some sort of concealer there?

The discussion comes to SMP vs. concealers. With concealers, depending how you put in on, it looks very good and natural and nobody can tell the difference. There's a video on youtbe by @Melvin-Moderatorabout this. But what about with SMP? Could anyone share their experience?

cc: @hairthere

Diffuse-Hair-Loss.jpeg

Using SMP as a permanent concealer for long hair... If a guy has a plan to try to minimize the number of hair transplants down the road, he's on the meds preferably, loss is not very aggressive, and a doctor has evaluated his donor and is fairly confident he has the reserves, maybe. But its more of a dice roll than the traditional hair transplant or concealer paths.

One of the potential problems you may end up having is needing to use the temporary concealer too if you lose more hair than expected. The advantage of the temporary concealers, other than being temporary, is they work on two levels. Whether we are talking hair fibers or a 'shader' like Dermmatch, some falls down onto the scalp, or in the case of a shader are applied to the scalp as well, and they also cling to the hairs making them thicker. That thickening of the hairs is a very important component of the overall effect you want to achieve. And it becomes more important the more hair you lose in these areas. You don't want to have diminishing thin hairs over the SMP past a point, because eventually the 'texture' effect the hairs produce will be reduced enough that parts of your head will look like solid colored scalp. And these areas can reflect more light than usual too, giving off an unwanted shine effect.

4 hours ago, AB2000 said:

What happens when you go slick bald up top and have hair on sides?  Won't SMP look very strange at that point?

Yea, the question here is whether the guy would be willing to laser off or apply over the concealer SMP more SMP to achieve a shaved/buzzed look, if that's something they are ok with.

The best is obviously to know a clinic, and have witnessed patients. It won't be for everybody, but pretty clever for some. Pretty smart for the guy in the picture, because he has a natural hairline and diffuse, but obviously it will only work if he buzzed his head, or SMP + toppik perhaps?

• 2 months later...

It's a viable option

Just make sure to shave your head to do it and then let it grow out so that if you ever have to shave it's homogenous

I am getting it done next year in my recipient and this year on my donor. Tired of fibbers, time to move on

I have almost 10K transplanted grafts thus I think I have enough density to pull it off I guess 

I'm very sceptical. The highest profile (allegedly) smp/ht proponent over here is andros townsend, a footballer. Looks very odd up close, almost a double hairline. Overall he looks a million times better than when significantly balding.