Dried blood at recipient site 48 hours following FUE transplant

Hello. I had an FUE transplant done just over 48 hours ago. As you can see, there is a fair amount of dried blood at the recipient site. The blood was there when I left the surgery in the afternoon and dried when I got home (they did try to clean me up before I left). 

Is that amount of dried blood typical? Does it mean that I had excessive bleeding during the procedure? And will it have a negative impact on my grafts/procedure?

I did wash my hair for the very first time this afternoon per the surgeon's instructions (using a container of warm water and baby shampoo, followed by rinsing using the same method). Some of the dried blood washed off, but a lot of it remains. I plan to wash my hair twice a day, which I hope will help remove the dried blood. I also am spraying my scalp with saline at regular intervals.

I will note that I did not have any additional bleeding in the evening after the surgery nor have I had bleeding at any point since the surgery [knock on wood]. And my donor site is healing quite nicely.

Like most people who have had a transplant, I am particularly anxious post-surgery and just wanted to get other people's thoughts.

Thank you in advance for your time.

IMG-7413.jpg

image_67181825.JPG

Hi 👋

Welcome to the forum. Following your post op instructions provided by the clinic is usually best.

Who was the clinic/Dr ? How many grafts were implanted ? Thanks 🙏  

Edited by JohnAC71
  • Like 1

Thanks for your replies, JohnAC71. That video is very helpful.

I had about 1,150 grafts implanted (front and crown). I am fortunate to still have a decent about of hair, so it is kind of like a touch-up. 

I'll share the name of the clinic/doctor once I have a better sense of my progress. Among other things, I'm, well, a lawyer... 🤪

• Like 3

• Moderators

It's normal to look like that for the first 5 days.

Edited by BeHappy
  • Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Administrators

You have to do a better job of cleaning. It looks normal.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Thanks for the replies, BeHappy and Melvin. It gives me some peace of mind. 

My scalp does look a lot better after two washings (again, using baby shampoo per my surgeon's instructions). It removed much of the dry blood, and I can see separate scabs on the grafts now. 

Next question -- is it also normal for some grafts not to have any scabbing at all?

Thanks again.

• Moderators
16 hours ago, Austin2006 said:

Next question -- is it also normal for some grafts not to have any scabbing at all?

Yes. That's fine.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Administrators

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Everything looks pretty normal and will continue to look better.  Your scalp area heals very quickly.  1,150 grafts in the front and the crown is not that many.  Hope most were used in the front.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Mine also looks very similar. I had 1300 fue 6 days ago. I was worried about recepient scab too as some people don't seem to have it. But I guess as per other replies it's normal .  Now I am less anxious about it. Hopefully it goes away soon. Need to start attending zoom meetings next week.

Edited by newme
Spell

• Administrators
9 hours ago, newme said:

Mine also looks very similar. I had 1300 fue 6 days ago. I was worried about recepient scab too as some people don't seem to have it. But I guess as per other replies it's normal .  Now I am less anxious about it. Hopefully it goes away soon. Need to start attending zoom meetings next week.

Watch the video I posted. I teach you how to take them off safely 

• Thanks 1

View my thread