Finasteride sides

Mat16

Hey guys,

I have been taking fin for almost 3 months now. Started at 0.25mg MWF and now I’m doing 1mg MWF. Throughout the time I have noticed that my erections are kind of weaker (not 100% sure though) and also I feel like the morning wood occurs very rarely since the start of meds. No other noticeable side effects so far noticed for me. However, I would like to ask you if someone who has experienced the same problem has recovered by continuing taking the pills or I should stop taking it altogether or maybe just take a pause.  Since I started thinking about it it’s also becoming a mental problem.

cheers

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mat16 said:

Hey guys,

I have been taking fin for almost 3 months now. Started at 0.25mg MWF and now I’m doing 1mg MWF. Throughout the time I have noticed that my erections are kind of weaker (not 100% sure though) and also I feel like the morning wood occurs very rarely since the start of meds. No other noticeable side effects so far noticed for me. However, I would like to ask you if someone who has experienced the same problem has recovered by continuing taking the pills or I should stop taking it altogether or maybe just take a pause.  Since I started thinking about it it’s also becoming a mental problem.

cheers

Did you notice this happening AFTER increasing your dosage to 1mg MWF? If so, cut down on the dosage and see how your body reacts. The fact that you're not getting as many morning erections leads me to believe it's not psychogenic in nature (nocebo effect, performance anxiety, etc.).

If you're still getting side effects on the lower dose, stop taking oral finasteride and use a topical finasteride/minoxidil combo. As always, feel free to reach out anytime. 

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

2 minutes ago, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

Did you notice this happening AFTER increasing your dosage to 1mg MWF? If so, cut down on the dosage and see how your body reacts. The fact that you're not getting as many morning erections leads me to believe it's not psychogenic in nature (nocebo effect, performance anxiety, etc.).

If you're still getting side effects on the lower dose, stop taking oral finasteride and use a topical finasteride/minoxidil combo. As always, feel free to reach out anytime. 

Actually I can’t really say when I started to notice anything. I was increasing the dosage gradually and I wasn’t paying too much attention to potential sides cause I didn’t want to think about it at all.

also I have read many times that people that experienced mild sides eventually got through them by just simply continuing the drug.

maybe I should try to cut down the dosage to 0.5mg MWF but I kind of feel like I don’t have enough now😅

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I’m taking .25 mg every day. I’ve also had some mild sides. My erections are weaker, I feel like I don’t get fully hard. I don’t get morning wood anymore since starting the drug. My sleep volume is also lower, some days are better then others for my erections. Have you seen any improvement ? I’m 2 months in and I don’t want to quit. Do you have any sources stating continuance of the drug will eliminate the sides ?

1 minute ago, Nickpatay12 said:

Hey, I’m taking .25 mg every day. I’ve also had some mild sides. My erections are weaker, I feel like I don’t get fully hard. I don’t get morning wood anymore since starting the drug. My sleep volume is also lower, some days are better then others for my erections. Have you seen any improvement ? I’m 2 months in and I don’t want to quit. Do you have any sources stating continuance of the drug will eliminate the sides ?

Hey, actually I stopped taking it at all and I’m off now for two weeks. My problems from sides got a lot better fast so I’m thinking about starting again. Will wait till I fully recover and then start one more time

Just now, Mat16 said:

Hey, actually I stopped taking it at all and I’m off now for two weeks. My problems from sides got a lot better fast so I’m thinking about starting again. Will wait till I fully recover and then start one more time

Awesome to hear that, how long were you on the drug and what was your dosage? Any reason you hopped off? I’m about to hit 2 months, don’t see an improvement in erections yet. Its better on some days then others. I can understand the sperm volume part but weaker erections suck. Also how much better do you feel since being off it, almost at 100?, I highly doubt the sides are permanent. I’m just hoping my sides go away with continuance of the drug. 

On 4/7/2021 at 5:34 PM, Nickpatay12 said:

Awesome to hear that, how long were you on the drug and what was your dosage? Any reason you hopped off? I’m about to hit 2 months, don’t see an improvement in erections yet. Its better on some days then others. I can understand the sperm volume part but weaker erections suck. Also how much better do you feel since being off it, almost at 100?, I highly doubt the sides are permanent. I’m just hoping my sides go away with continuance of the drug. 

I was on the drug almost 3 months and I got off of that because of the problems that I mentioned in the post. It was nothing serious I was just concerned about my erections. Now a third week after stopping and I feel like there has been some slight improvement though I cannot say because I wasn’t monitoring it before so..... I will start taking it again maybe in one or two weeks and I hope this time it’ll be okay. Maybe you can tell me if your sides go away by continuing the drug

Some believe that if you persevere your body ‘adapts’ and the sides lessen or aren’t apparent. 

Others believe if you are prone to sides you are prone to sides, however titration seemingly helps in some instances. 

I have read a lot on finasteride for coming up to 10 years now, and have even consulted with one of the highest trained urological consultants in the UK to talk specifically about the prospect of starting to use it, and from what I gather it’s the accumulation of the suppression that is the issue in those who unfortunately suffer from the unwanted effects - however sensitivity levels are very individual, so some may experience issues very shortly after starting, others medium term, others long term, and then of course those who don’t experience anything noticeable at all throughout their whole time taking it.  

Edited by Curious25

2 hours ago, Mat16 said:

I was on the drug almost 3 months and I got off of that because of the problems that I mentioned in the post. It was nothing serious I was just concerned about my erections. Now a third week after stopping and I feel like there has been some slight improvement though I cannot say because I wasn’t monitoring it before so..... I will start taking it again maybe in one or two weeks and I hope this time it’ll be okay. Maybe you can tell me if your sides go away by continuing the drug

So are your erections back to normal since stopping, you said your sides went away fast after stopping the drug ?

2 minutes ago, Nickpatay12 said:

So are your erections back to normal since stopping, you said your sides went away fast after stopping the drug ?

My only side effect was weaker erection (and less morning erection) and I feel like it is getting better, not 100% yet though but I cannot say with 100% confidence cause I haven’t been paying attention when I started taking it

14 minutes ago, Curious25 said:

Some believe that if you persevere your body ‘adapts’ and the sides lessen or aren’t apparent. 

Others believe if you are prone to sides you are prone to sides, however titration seemingly helps in some instances. 

I have read a lot on finasteride for coming up to 10 years now, and have even consulted with one of the highest trained urological consultants in the UK to talk specifically about the prospect of starting to use it, and from what I gather it’s the accumulation of the suppression that is the issue in those who unfortunately suffer from the unwanted effects - however sensitivity levels are very individual, so some may experience issues very shortly after starting, others medium term, others long term, and then of course those who don’t experience anything noticeable at all throughout their whole time taking it.  

It would be cool to hear from someone who got rid of the sides by just continuing the drug 

19 minutes ago, Mat16 said:

It would be cool to hear from someone who got rid of the sides by just continuing the drug 

There are people out there - off the top of my head @1978mattexperienced brain fog at 1mg propecia daily, however titrated to 1.25mg proscar MWF and is now ok. 

Edited by Curious25

17 hours ago, Mat16 said:

I tried continuing the drug, but the side effects didn't stop. Also tried reducing the dosage. Was fine for a while, but started getting the side effects again.  I think some people are just too sensitive to the drug.

I have very less body hair and facial hair though, don't know if that's a sign of my DHT being less and making me more sensitive to the drug.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/9/2021 at 4:45 PM, Mat16 said:

So have you gotten back on the drug, also since stopping have your sides of weaker erection and no morning wood gone away. I’m still having sides, just weaker erection unfortunately. 

Can you please share with us how old are you? Your testosterone/PSA level, if you know them, and how intense was your sexual life before and after starting finesteride. That information could be useful if not crucial for many of us who want to prevent further grows of the prostate but don't want to sacrifice their libido and erections.

On 4/29/2021 at 5:41 AM, Nickpatay12 said:

So have you gotten back on the drug, also since stopping have your sides of weaker erection and no morning wood gone away. I’m still having sides, just weaker erection unfortunately. 

Yes they went away but I really want to start meds again so I hope this time it will be different

18 hours ago, Myloloves said:

Can you please share with us how old are you? Your testosterone/PSA level, if you know them, and how intense was your sexual life before and after starting finesteride. That information could be useful if not crucial for many of us who want to prevent further grows of the prostate but don't want to sacrifice their libido and erections.

I am 22 and I don’t know my levels. My sexual life is as you can imagine a 22 young male with girlfriend so quite intense. After starting fin nothing has changed in our “routine” except I felt that my boner was weaker, she didn’t say anything so that’s why I was thinking maybe it was just in my head. I have explicitly asked her about it so... And as for libido, I didn’t notice any changes

That's the nature of finasteride, it lowers DHT which is one of the most impactful hormones on libido. Unfortunately, it does not return to it's original levels after cessation either.

• Valued Contributor

I was on 1mg a day for months and forgot all about the risk of any side effects (and even the fact I was on the drug). About three weeks ago I noticed that for about a fortnight prior (at least) my libido had almost disappeared! I couldn't put it down to any other cause then I remembered that I was taking finasteride. I ceased the medication and after about a week my libido came back in a huge rebound!! 😉 I realize I'm older than a lot of the younger guys here but in my case I have to agree. I will have to go back on a lower dose soon (say .5mg three times a week, etc) and titrate back up again over time. If anyone has any other suggestions then please feel free to DM me or chime in. As a Norwood 6 my surgery at Eugeinx is really going to be dependent on being on a DHT blocker of some kind. Also my apologies for hijacking the OP's thread.