Does finasteride improve the short-term results of a hair transplant?

Does finasteride improve graft survival rate?

Does finasteride minimize shock loss?

In theory it makes sense to me that it would help because it creates a more hospitable environment for the hair. The answers I've come across from forum users and even hair transplant doctors have been mixed. However I've never seen a thread dedicated to this exact topic before.

It can help mitigate shock loss from occurring by strengthening the weaker, miniaturised hairs that are more prone to succumbing to shock loss. 

As far as Im aware, it has no impact to increasing graft survival rate. Your theory on creating a more hospitable environment for the implanted grafts is redundant, as these grafts, when selected properly . . are DHT resistant.  

• Thanks 1

On 3/20/2021 at 8:04 PM, Curious25 said:

It can help mitigate shock loss from occurring by strengthening the weaker, miniaturised hairs that are more prone to succumbing to shock loss. 

As far as Im aware, it has no impact to increasing graft survival rate. Your theory on creating a more hospitable environment for the implanted grafts is redundant, as these grafts, when selected properly . . are DHT resistant.  

Fair point and very sensible, but why does Dr. Reddy insist on taking it post transplant? Shock loss should only be temporary, regardless. 

10 hours ago, rj. said:

Fair point and very sensible, but why does Dr. Reddy insist on taking it post transplant? Shock loss should only be temporary, regardless. 

Most likely reason being to maintain and preserve the patients native (non transplanted) hair.  

On 3/20/2021 at 4:04 PM, Curious25 said:

DHT resistant yes, but 100% safe for all patients is still to be determined. 

On 3/20/2021 at 3:56 PM, I want DHI said:

In theory it makes sense to me that it would help because it creates a more hospitable environment for the hair. The answers I've come across from forum users and even hair transplant doctors have been mixed. However I've never seen a thread dedicated to this exact topic before.

There are threads and information about this, look at my post history I have tried to provide some references about it.

49 minutes ago, asterix0 said:

DHT resistant yes, but 100% safe for all patients is still to be determined. 

A DHT resistant graft is a DHT resistant graft.

Every patient has a different amount of DHT resistant grafts, which is why ever patient has a unique donor region.

This is why it is important to select a skilled surgeon who can as accurately as is possible select grafts from the region of the patients donor he seems likely to be safe.

You’re like a stuck record on this topic,  go and find a new hobby. 

On 3/20/2021 at 12:56 PM, I want DHI said:

Interesting questions.  Let's work on this one.....

What is the reason to take Finasteride? To halt or slow down hair loss. But when discussing hair transplants, the basis for the work is harvesting grafts from the donor area which is permanent in the majority of people.  Regardless of the pattern, most keep the rim of hair in the sides and back.  This area does not need meds to survive. So, can finasteride improve graft survival rate? Perhaps.  Let's say the individual is destined to lose most of the donor but Finasteride does help him retain.  So = answer to first question is yes.  The issue here however is the fact - if the patient gets off the med, he will not only lose the part of the donor, but will also lose all the grafts that came from that area.  

Shock loss is typically temporary and the hair does tend to return.  Most believe Finasteride and Rogaine can help minimize the issue.  

Not sure about the "more hospitable environment." What comes to mind is the fact, if the medication is effective, the patient will surely benefit and whatever the doctor does surgically, will look that much better.

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

• Administrators

It doesn’t improve the growth, but it can retain your native hair, which will improve the overall appearance of fullness.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

2 hours ago, Curious25 said:

A DHT resistant graft is a DHT resistant graft.

Every patient has a different amount of DHT resistant grafts, which is why ever patient has a unique donor region.

This is why it is important to select a skilled surgeon who can as accurately as is possible select grafts from the region of the patients donor he seems likely to be safe.

You’re like a stuck record on this topic,  go and find a new hobby. 

Seems like you are as well, pot calling the kettle black.

1 hour ago, Curious25 said:

How exactly ? 

Is this not a free forum where we can exchange opinions openly? If I chose to participate and express a particular viewpoint, one which I have provided evidence for in the past, I do so only in the best interest of future patients so that they can make as informed of a decision as possible. Why would I disparage a procedure that I myself am planning to have?

To make the analogy, let's say we were debating apples falling from a tree. If the claim was made, all apples will fall to the ground when dropped from the tree, then all it would take is one apple to bring this "fact" into question.

We can either then say our knowledge about apples and how they fall is incomplete, or that there are some particular apples, for whatever reason, that do not fall all the way to the ground. 

To me, there is sufficient evidence anecdotally, through the words of clinics themselves (and reputable ones such as Eugenix) and numerous patient accounts, that would indicate that all apples indeed do not fall all the way down to the ground. For whatever reason it is a smaller number, but this is not yet well understood yet. 

I just don't want patients to have high expectations, invest a lot of time and money, and potentially be let down afterwards because they were not fully informed. If they were informed, sure there is a 1% chance of this happening, a 0.001% chance, whatever it may be, then that is fair play, the possibility was disclosed. 

Saying something has no chance of happening, meaning 0%, to me is not fair to the patient. I personally believe the probability is > 0. With finasteride, I believe it is reduced significantly even more toward 0.