Topical Dutasteride Effective For Hair Loss?

Melvin- Admin

• Administrators

I have been hearing a lot about topical dutasteride. World renowned surgeons are starting to compound their own topical dutasteride. Unfortunately, there's only been one study that looked at intramuscular dutasteride with mesotherapy the results looked impressive, but the sample size was tiny. Do any of you guys have any experience? Which doctors are the one's compounding topical dut? So far I know Lupunzula, Mwamba, and Wesley. 

Topical Dutasteride Effective For Hair LossTopical Dutasteride.png

• Thanks 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I'd love to know. If topical finasteride is effective (as multiple studies have shown), then topical dutasteride should be even more effective. I'm surprised there haven't been studies on topical dutasteride. I also have only seen topical dutasteride by itself and not compounded with minoxidil (I see numerous finasteride/minoxidil combo topical solutions in the market though). Great post Melvin.

• Like 1

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

Very interested in this. I'm scared to use Finasteride, I know I probably shouldn't read into all the side effects, but I do. I've heard Dutasturide is bigger on a molecular level, or something, so isn't as absorbed into the blood stream, theoretically lowering the risk of side effects. Any thoughts on this?

• Administrators
28 minutes ago, Gooner said:

Very interested in this. I'm scared to use Finasteride, I know I probably shouldn't read into all the side effects, but I do. I've heard Dutasturide is bigger on a molecular level, or something, so isn't as absorbed into the blood stream, theoretically lowering the risk of side effects. Any thoughts on this?

I’ve heard the same thing, it would be interesting to see some studies or at least anecdotal evidence. Has anyone tried it?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

4 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I’ve heard the same thing, it would be interesting to see some studies or at least anecdotal evidence. Has anyone tried it?

I've seen a few people mentioning it, I'm only new so don't know the names. I'll try and have a look through. I believe they mentioned the molecular size meaning it doesn't go systemic, or something along those lines.

There're a clinical trial on topical finasteride that shows the same results as oral. We could probably guess that topical dut works too.

My only concern is that the side-effects are also similar. I discuss this in this thread where I raise a question: Is it really worth to invest in a topical form? I want to be positive that this would work the same way as the pill but with less or no side-effects, cos that's the point of this product. But that doesn't seem to be the case, so my question is, why even bother? An counter argument would be: Maybe some ppl experience less side-effects on the topical than on the pill and that may vary from person to person so its production may still be valid. And in that case, com'on FDA, let's approve this thing!

Same can be said for PRP. An off-label treatment that may or may not work. The difference is: no side-effects of topical fin/dut. But way more $

I'm critical and skeptical when it comes to hair loss products. Specially when ppl say things like "No initial shed, it actually stopped shedding immediately". Just seems like a seller of topical dut. So just wanted to give my thoughts: it's always best to listen to professional doctors.

Edited by Phab

6 minutes ago, Phab said:

There're a clinical trial on topical finasteride that shows the same results as oral. We could probably guess that topical dut works too.

My only concern is that the side-effects are also similar. I discuss this in this thread where I raise a question: Is it really worth to invest in a topical form? I want to be positive that this would work the same way as the pill but with less or no side-effects, cos that's the point of this product. But that doesn't seem to be the case, so my question is, why even bother? An counter argument would be: Maybe some ppl experience less side-effects on the topical than on the pill and that may vary from person to person so its production may still be valid. And in that case, com'on FDA, let's approve this thing!

Same can be said for PRP. An off-label treatment that may or may not work. The difference is: no side-effects of topical fin/dut. But way more $

I'm critical and skeptical when it comes to hair loss products. Specially when ppl say things like "No initial shed, it actually stopped shedding immediately". Just seems like a seller of topical dut. So just wanted to give my thoughts.

I thought I remember seeing you talking about it. I would like to see some studies also before trying. I'm just not sure how something entering your blood stream, even if topically, can guarantee no side-effects. I'm also a bit of a skeptic when it comes to this kind of thing, but if it can be backed up by science, I'm all for it.

• Administrators
15 minutes ago, Phab said:

I'm critical and skeptical when it comes to hair loss products. Specially when ppl say things like "No initial shed, it actually stopped shedding immediately". Just seems like a seller of topical dut. So just wanted to give my thoughts: it's always best to listen to professional doctors.

That trial was from 2019 two years ago. Is there any updates?

View my thread

@Gooner Sellers of topical solutions don't guarantee no side-effects. But I've seen some of them write: "less" side-effects, which cannot be said as true.

@Melvin-Moderator that was phase 3. Not sure if they are applying for FDA approval, according to the process  after phase 3 comes the New Drug Application (NDA). I couldn't find any more info on that

Just now, Phab said:

@Gooner Sellers of topical solutions don't guarantee no side-effects. But I've seen some of them write: "less" side-effects, which cannot be said as true.

@Melvin-Moderator

Got ya. I've seen people mention they got no side-effects from topical Dutasturide, when they did from both oral and topical Finasteride, which I find interesting.

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, Gooner said:

Got ya. I've seen people mention they got no side-effects from topical Dutasturide, when they did from both oral and topical Finasteride, which I find interesting.

I’ve heard the same thing. I don’t know the science behind it, would be great to get some sort of explanation, even if it’s semi pseudoscience.

View my thread

This is a good video about Dut from a famous doctor, I had to watch it a couple of times to really grasp. It's not about topical solution, but about the pill. However, the topical form ALSO goes into the bloodstream, I have no doubt about that. He also talks a bit about topical Dut saying about decreasing  side effects, which is not true. The company he refers on the video is Polichem, which is the one from the trial I posted above, a trial of topical Fin not Dut. So are they conducting both Fin and Dut trials? I couldn't find any info on that. Much the opposite. I believe the doctor got confused in the video, which is not good for us.

At the end of it, my summary is: Dut is more effective than Fin but can also cause more side effects. This explains why it's not approved by the FDA for hair loss. And I doubt topical Dut ever will.

Topical Fin could be approved, maybe. The trial I posted above is for topical Fin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJiXcxFfFiM

Edited by Phab

• Administrators

There’s a video from Dr. Wesley, but it’s more talking about topical fin and dut as opposed to just dut. He posted it on vimeo 

View my thread

I have updates.

1) I found this: Topical Fin by an Italian company called Polichem is released in Europe https://www.hairlosscure2020.com/topical-finasteride-finally-here-in-europe/

2) I talked to Dr. Hasson's clinic in Vancouver that worked with Polichem and thus also has it available from a partner pharmarcy there but it's only available for Canadians and there's a 6 month wait list cos it's the only pharmacy there producing it:  https://www.hairlosscure2020.com/dr-hasson-ditches-oral-finasteride-and-switches-to-topical/

However, there's hope! They told me that the application has been sent to FDA for approval so it should be approved next year or 2023 the most, hopefully sometime next year! This is Topical Fin.

I aksed about Topical Dut, they said it's in trials, but they couldn't tell me what phase. I will inquire more in the near future. My assumption: That may not be approved by the FDA since the oral is not approved. Unless the trials show no or little side effects (that's me being hopeful)

Edited by Phab

@Melvin-Moderator So I read here that topical Dut: https://fueclinic.com/services/treatments/topical-dutasteride/

"Due to having a larger molecular weight (537kda) than finasteride it  remains longer in the scalp with only a miniscule fraction of the medication becoming vascularized and going systemic. Our patients report reduced shedding, hair loss stabilization, regrowth and minimal to no side effects while being able to use this medication every other day or even weekly due to its large half-life."

Would be interesting to ask Dr. Hasson's clinic about this, I will try to find out. As they are in touch with the company conducting clinical trials, they might know. Might be something interesting for your youtube channel.

I sent an e-mail to Polichem, will update here

Edited by Phab

4 hours ago, Gooner said:

Yes, topical dustasteride is bigger on a molecular level. However, it works on 2 isoforms of the rate limiting enzyme 5-alpha reductase so DHT levels will be lower than with finasteride. Dutasteride has a slightly higher risk of side effects than finasteride (but it's not really a clinically or even statistically significant increase). 

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

5 minutes ago, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

Yes, topical dustasteride is bigger on a molecular level. However, it works on 2 isoforms of the rate limiting enzyme 5-alpha reductase so DHT levels will be lower than with finasteride. Dutasteride has a slightly higher risk of side effects than finasteride (but it's not really a clinically or even statistically significant increase). 

Very interested in this, especially as I've seen people saying they are using it only once a week and still seeing results. Do you think that's possible? Do you think this reduce the risk of side-effects even further?

2 minutes ago, Gooner said:

Very interested in this, especially as I've seen people saying they are using it only once a week and still seeing results. Do you think that's possible? Do you think this reduce the risk of side-effects even further?

Yes, less exposure typically entails less chances of side effects. Dutasteride is a more powerful medicine than finasteride. I've been trying to find a topical dutasteride/minoxidil solution to no avail. If anyone finds it, let me know.

1 minute ago, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

Yes, less exposure typically entails less chances of side effects. Dutasteride is a more powerful medicine than finasteride. I've been trying to find a topical dutasteride/minoxidil solution to no avail. If anyone finds it, let me know.

Do you think you'd use that daily? Like you would Minoxidil perhaps. I haven't seen it anywhere as of yet.

So just so I understand. Theorically, topical Dutasteride would have less chance of side-effects than topical Fin because of this weight of the molecule?

Edited by Phab

5 minutes ago, Phab said:

I wonder why hasn't GlaxoSmithKline / Merk worked on this topical dut / fin form if they are better and safer

You'd think they'd be all over it if science can genuinely back up it having less chance of side effects.

10 minutes ago, Phab said:

So just so I understand. Theorically, topical Dutasteride would have less chance of side-effects than topical Fin because of this weight of the molecule?

No, theoretically, you'll have a higher chance of side effect with topical dutasteride than topical finasteride (the increase in risk is negligible though). Getting side effects from either topical dutasteride or topical finasteride are miniscule. Remember, the rate of side effects on oral finasteride are about 5% (which is small).

36 minutes ago, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

No, theoretically, you'll have a higher chance of side effect with topical dutasteride than topical finasteride (the increase in risk is negligible though). Getting side effects from either topical dutasteride or topical finasteride are miniscule. Remember, the rate of side effects on oral finasteride are about 5% (which is small).

Ok, that makes sense. I would prefer to use topical Finasteride than topical Dutasteride then. 

42 minutes ago, Gooner said:

You'd think they'd be all over it if science can genuinely back up it having less chance of side effects.

Yeah, hard to believe that a massive multi-billion dollar multi-national company is sleeping at the bus stop, when a much much smaller company in Italy works n releasing these products

Edited by Phab