Hair thinning 4 years after FUE surgery

Hi guys,

So I’ve recently noticed that my hair has been thinning in my hair line area for which I had FUE surgery for back in 2017. 

The surgery was fine and I loved the results so I am rather confused (and frankly annoyed) that I am thinning again. I was under the impression that this was “permanent “ hair that would never fall out. 

I stopped using finistride after the surgery and I also blow dry my hair (almost everyday) but trying to keep it healthy. 

Do I need more surgery and will the same thing happen? Or can I leave it and hope it returns (as this is donor region hair which is meant to be permanent?

I appreciate your response  

E875CB27-CA00-4D5B-9588-998191629BE9.jpeg

DCCED627-975A-4276-86C7-C86101A2C050.jpeg

B2242FA9-E2E8-4C5A-9873-AE813C488E61.jpeg

• Like 1

I thought I didn’t need it anymore and (to be fair) I was under the impression the transplanted hair would be permanent. Would it make a difference if I started it now? Would prp help? Or do I need surgery again?  

23 minutes ago, Navthedon said:

I thought I didn’t need it anymore and (to be fair) I was under the impression the transplanted hair would be permanent. Would it make a difference if I started it now? Would prp help? Or do I need surgery again?  

Going back on fin will help you retain your hair. What’s happened is your transplanted hair will still be fine and the surrounding hair would have fallen.

You could resume fin and look at another hair transplant. Without fin it’s chasing the loss until you reach the possible higher Norwood levels. 

Edited by JohnAC71
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

Ideally you should have stayed on finasteride and minoxidil. Why'd you stop?

7 minutes ago, Navthedon said:

Like others have said, unless you were having side effect issues, you should get back on the meds. They help to maximize your donor zone and hang on to even the vulnerable hairs longer so you can delay additional hair transplants as much as possible. The doctor may not have transplanted as much hair to your front because the meds were still helping some of the front hairs hang on. The hair transplant journey is rarely 'one and done', unless the guy waits until their older years 50s/60s etc, when they've lost most of what they'll ever lose, to get a HT

While pretty much everybody has a donor area that is the most resistant to hair loss factors, nobody can predict it with certainly. Time is the key factor, and it becomes easier to estimate the area the older you get. That's why there's so much caution about guys getting hair transplants when they are young, particularly if the loss is aggressive. Doctors that operate on younger guys, or guys that haven't stabilized their loss with meds, run a higher risk of taking hairs from an area that is actually outside their "safe" zone.

Get back on the meds for a year and see what you can recover, then re-evaluate for a 2nd HT. Wouldn't bother with prp, etc. if you do need more density.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

@Navthedon your operating surgeon may have taken donor hair outside of the 100% safe zone. Its actually pretty common practice. If the doc predicts you will never be a natural NW 5 or 6, they may take donor hair from these less safe regions. And if the doctor predicted wrong and you are indeed naturally a NW 5 or NW 6, then it makes sense you would be losing this transplant hair. 

Stopping Fin just makes the situation worse. You were on it for quite some time so assume you didn't have sides, not sure why you stopped. If you have no compelling reason to stop taking it, you should hop on it again asap. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Navthedon said:

Will going back on the meds thicken up my hair before or do I need to have another transplant as I see no other solution to this?

When you stopped taking the finasteride your DHT levels went back up, no one can say how much additional damage that did to your hairs during this time, it comes down to genetic and hormonal factors that are unique to your physiology. Hopefully it was just a degree of miniaturization that the meds can reverse. That's why in my first post I said to get back on them for a year to see if you can recover anything and then re-evaluate whether to do another HT.  

• Like 1

On 3/14/2021 at 7:19 PM, Navthedon said:

Did your doctor tell you transplanted hairs are permanent for everyone? Even if taken from the 100% safest zone from your donor?

If you do some research on this, you will find that it isn't always the case.