Severe concerns about future options and overharvesting

Hi all,

In November 2018 I underwent a ‘hair transplant’ which has not had the results I had hoped for, in every sense of the word. I wrote that in inverted commas as it was done in a Turkish black market clinic and knowing what I know now was now legitimate procedure at all. Like many others I fell for the aggressive marketing, false promises and cheap prices.

As you would expect, the results are horrendous. The hairline is unnatural, low density, and grafts grow in completely the wrong direction. To make matters worse, the donor area is very much overharvested and scarred; it would seem most of these went in the bin as they certainly didnt put the same amount back into my scalp.

I am severely depressed and desperate. Unfortunately this has taken a grip on my life and will not let go. I am so angry with myself for having done this and not researching adequately in advance. I feel like I have had my body violated. But it is very easy to say this with hindsight and we can only learn from our mistakes and try and move forward.

With that in mind I have spent probably hundreds of hours researching and have began the process of reaching out to reputable clinics with the possibility of repairing this disaster. My main concern is the donor area is a mess and that there is nothing left to use. I have attached some pictures for reference. It certainly looks a lot better when the hair is grown out.

I have contacted a number of recommended doctors, and waiting for some sort of response is torture so I guess I am posting here for support and guidance in the meantime - although I have convinced myself the answers are not going to be what I want to hear.

I am at a complete loss and just want to be able to fix this to the point of it looking natural. I sincerely believe some of these establishments ruin lives and I hope in the future I come out the other side of this and help raise awareness that these cheap places are just not worth it.

8EA9E864-D5D8-4B17-9FEF-0F9AF2D41DEE.thumb.jpeg.d5cac6133f9220ddd7f4367d65f486f9.jpeg

1228E847-D1DB-4DF9-B51B-588B3D721F17.jpeg

E8E1A905-B1F8-448E-9194-5E06CFD84044.jpeg

1FDFDF87-8C4D-4BB7-984F-14E19579D167.jpeg

• Sad 3

So sorry to read your story. It happens way too much. Everything you write will resonate with some of the members here.

Your donor area does look ok when it’s grown out. But yes unfortunately the hairline is noticeably poor. 

Is it fixable ? Yes I believe so. Out of curiosity who are the clinics your consulting with ? HDC and Bisanga are 2 clinics that always spring to mind for repairs...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Valued Contributor

John has given great advice and sadly you are not the first and no matter how much (often young) patients we warn you won’t be the last. You will get through this and come out the other side. Your hairline can be repaired as can your donor region. There are excellent surgeons who do great repair work. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies. It is hard as I am too embarrassed to talk to friends etc which just compounds my sense of frustration, so this is a good outlet.

In all honesty I do not know how many grafts were taken. It was ‘Clinic Center’ in Istanbul. It actually pains me to be even writing the name  of it - I want to erase their existence from my brain!

I have reached out to both Dr Bisanga and Dr Feriduni on their websites today and sent the appropriate info but await responses, so not engaged in any real dialogue as yet.

Edited by jmc90
  • Sad 1

• Administrators

Man its stories like this that really make me mad. I wish our community could reach the tens of thousands that go to these black market clinics before they make the decision. Your donor is definitely overharvested. However, I can't really see the sides, it looks like they may have concentrated the extractions in the back of the scalp. Do you have pictures of the sides with short hair? It will help us a bit better to see if you have some grafts that are still viable. 

We have some excellent surgeons who can help fix your issue, but of course, at this point you need to focus on quality. Repairs are usually a little more expensive as it is more labor intensive and it may require you laser or have some of those grafts extracted out. If you need help reaching a certain doctor or clinic please pm me and I will reach out to them on your behalf. We're here for support man, we will help you.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Some overhead pics would be good too. Can’t really see much behind the hairline. I agree with Melvin and it does seem they took all the grafts from the back as opposed to anything from the sides.

Would you consider BHT to boost your available grafts ? These can help the mid scalp for example. 

This is the picture on top.

I dont really have any other pictures of the sides with short hair. It has been a while since I could cut it with everything being closed over here since 2020!

I would consider BHT. Of course, I am no expert, however to an untrained eye my chest hair does appear to have relatively similar characteristics.

03681403-889E-4960-BC5B-203A971BFE1C.jpeg

E959A457-9EA5-49E1-93E1-A7340B2EAB3C.jpeg

6 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

Beard hair is the most reliable. But if needed Chest could be considered too though. 
Are you on any meds to maintain your current hair ? 

Yes I have been using minoxidil and finasteride for 6 months. Again, I realise now this should have been the first port of call but we are where we are.

47 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Man its stories like this that really make me mad. I wish our community could reach the tens of thousands that go to these black market clinics before they make the decision. Your donor is definitely overharvested. However, I can't really see the sides, it looks like they may have concentrated the extractions in the back of the scalp. Do you have pictures of the sides with short hair? It will help us a bit better to see if you have some grafts that are still viable. 

We have some excellent surgeons who can help fix your issue, but of course, at this point you need to focus on quality. Repairs are usually a little more expensive as it is more labor intensive and it may require you laser or have some of those grafts extracted out. If you need help reaching a certain doctor or clinic please pm me and I will reach out to them on your behalf. We're here for support man, we will help you.

Thanks its really appreciated.

I have contacted Dr Feriduni and Dr Bisanga as I have seen that they are quite adept at repair work. Although, I am in the UK and it is currently illegal for us to leave the country or even go much further beyond your hometown, so its hard to even have consultations. Not to mention the lockdown is affecting my ability to work to help pay for this. It is all not looking very good right now!

Edited by jmc90

7 minutes ago, jmc90 said:

I have contacted Dr Feriduni and Dr Bisanga as I have seen that they are quite adept at repair work. Although, I am in the UK and it is currently illegal for us to leave the country or even go much further beyond your hometown, so its hard to even have consultations. Not to mention the lockdown is affecting my ability to work to help pay for this. It is all not looking very good right now!

Fellow uk person here. Yes the travel restrictions are tough right now. Finger's crossed bojo road to exit lockdown isn’t delayed anymore than planned. 

• Like 1

• Administrators
21 minutes ago, jmc90 said:

Have you contacted Dr. Reddy and Dr. Arshad? 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

1 minute ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Have you contacted Dr. Reddy and Dr. Arshad? 

Yes, I was a little concerned by the response from Dr Reddy being from a gmail account belonging to someone else. I have received a quotation from Dr Arshad however I thought best to continue looking at further options rather than jump right into something. I am largely certain I am very limited with what can be achieved - not to discredit anyones work at all, but I thought because of this it would best to have conversations with those who have a lot of experience with repair work, and then weigh up my options.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, jmc90 said:

Yes, I was a little concerned by the response from Dr Reddy being from a gmail account belonging to someone else. I have received a quotation from Dr Arshad however I thought best to continue looking at further options rather than jump right into something. I am largely certain I am very limited with what can be achieved - not to discredit anyones work at all, but I thought because of this it would best to have conversations with those who have a lot of experience with repair work, and then weigh up my options.

Oh ok, definitely good you’re consult with plenty. Have you seen Dr. De Freitas?

View my thread

Thanks for the mention. I have just gone through your post @jmc90

It is great you came across this network. Plenty of support and plenty of good work.

Don’t give up. You are not in a bad situation. It seems your hairline is quite high which is a good thing for repair as it would be possible to work more around it. I don't see many multiple grafts there upfront but that may well be your hair contrast too. In all cases your outlook for repair is great so stay positive. 

• Like 5

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

5 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Oh ok, definitely good you’re consult with plenty. Have you seen Dr. De Freitas?

No, but I’ll certainly look them up.

Thanks all for your support, this is very worthwhile resource and already a benefit to my wellbeing.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 7/10/2021 at 5:59 PM, SD1984 said:

You ever reach out to the clinic that did this and try to get some sort of refund even if partial? 

I did, they told me the operation was a ‘success’ and I eventually managed to get them to agree to a whole £200 but then had an NDA thrown at me with all sorts of nonsense written into it. Well I was not signing anything like that for such a measley sum and I would very much like to continue to deter anyone from going through this in the future. 

I have in the meantime been in discussion with Dr Barghouthi who I must say has been very kind and helpful in my conversations with him. I have booked for later this year, pending any update to travel restrictions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
On 7/16/2021 at 7:42 AM, jmc90 said:

I did, they told me the operation was a ‘success’ and I eventually managed to get them to agree to a whole £200 but then had an NDA thrown at me with all sorts of nonsense written into it. Well I was not signing anything like that for such a measley sum and I would very much like to continue to deter anyone from going through this in the future. 

I have in the meantime been in discussion with Dr Barghouthi who I must say has been very kind and helpful in my conversations with him. I have booked for later this year, pending any update to travel restrictions. 

Dr. Barghouthi is an excellent choice, one of the most ethical surgeons I know.

View my thread