~3,200 graft FUT with Dr. Konior - March 8, 2021

Egott92

15 hours ago, Gatsby said:

You've gone to one of the best surgeons in the world. Looks very clean and I look forward to your updates. Congratulations!

Thanks very much Gatsby! Very grateful to have the community here and members like you to help inform my decision and research the best doc for my needs.

2 hours ago, aaron1234 said:

You already have a good head of hair so wise decision to stick to the meds.  This looks like the ultra-refined work that we all expect from Dr K, also so densely packed.  Be patient these next fews months but you should totally expect an amazing result! 

Thanks so much Aaron. Luckily I hopped on the minoxidil train about 5 years ago once I started to notice frontal thinning, and then 1 year ago with topical finasteride once thinning my crown started to become more apparent. 

I am also impressed with the dense packing -- I admit I didn't even know or expect it was possible to pack that densely! 

1 hour ago, BDK081522 said:

Thanks for posting Egott! It's the information that you provide which will guide those starting their hair restoration journey. Very informative and excellent description of your operative day and follow up care. This information will hopefully allow others a sneak peek into the process at Chicago Hair Institute and what makes Dr Konior the best in the world. You have an exciting 12 months ahead of you. Don't get down during the ugly duckling period. It feels like a lifetime while you're in it, but is really just a sliver of time in the whole process. You've chosen wisely!

Thank you so much for the kind words BDK! Totally agree with you. The least I can do is pay it forward to those who might have a similar balding pattern or hair type and are looking into Dr. Konior's world renowned work. I've been researching, saving, and waiting for this day for over 5 years now, and it was this community that provided the resources, reviews, and guidance to help assuage any concerns. We're all very lucky to have this forum as a resource free of charge! 

• Like 1

Work looks great. Densely packed and you seem to have good hair characteristics so I have no doubt this will be a wonderful result.

Sounds like it was quite the long day - I'm curious what was the time breakdown (especially since I'm less familiar with FUT)? How long did it take to cut out the strip, and did they dissect all the grafts at once or did they start implanting them as soon as possible? And did they use the stick and place technique? Thanks!

3 hours ago, giegnosiganoe said:

Work looks great. Densely packed and you seem to have good hair characteristics so I have no doubt this will be a wonderful result.

Sounds like it was quite the long day - I'm curious what was the time breakdown (especially since I'm less familiar with FUT)? How long did it take to cut out the strip, and did they dissect all the grafts at once or did they start implanting them as soon as possible? And did they use the stick and place technique? Thanks!

It was a long day in theory, but honestly when you're all drugged up time flies lol. The valium hit me hard and they covered my eyes with gauze so I was definitely feeling almost meditative throughout the procedure. 

These are all estimates, but I'd say the strip took about 1 hour to cut/extract. Then, I believe 2-3 technicians sorted the grafts according to very specific criteria. I could hear Dr. Konior throughout the procedure request specific types of grafts to implant. So yes, I believe stick and place technique. He would say something along the lines of "give me a 7...ok, now give me an 9" which I assume refers to the caliber of each individual graft depending on where he wanted it placed, or some code he's created with his technicians. During pre-op, he emphasized that he wanted to keep me comfortable but most importantly he wanted all the grafts to survive. He made the obvious analogy that an extracted graft is like a fish out of water. He needed to balance the finesse of careful implantation with the efficiency of getting them back into a healthy blood supply. In a way, this was his way of asking me to limit excessive breaks so we can increase the health of extracted grafts.

Again, I was pretty drugged so I may be slightly inaccurate in my description/recollection. If you're curious about his methods I would definitely shoot him an e-mail. He's all about science communication and loves to educate. It's one of the reasons (in my opinion) he is one of the very best surgeons in the world, and just an overall awesome guy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey fam I thought I'd update you since it's been exactly 1 week since the procedure. It's been an interesting week. Below are some highs and lows.

First, the good:

1) Dr. Konior and his staff have been incredible. They've allowed me to come in every day for a cleaning. The head technician and the entire team are really so sweet and want a successful result just as much as I do, and they're willing to do anything to make that happen. 

2) Recipient area is looking good and I've had no pain whatsoever in this frontal area! I've seen some very slight shedding, but it's looking good. I'm ready for the complete shed - or hoping I'm the lucky 1% t(very unlikely)! 

3) I extended my stay in Chicago by 4-5 days so that I could have Dr. Konior remove my sutures (tomorrow). I just didn't want to risk anyone back home screwing up the removal and impacting the linear scar in any way.

4) Just in general, now that the swelling has subsided, I'm REALLY happy with the hairline design. Actually SO excited for the final result. I've started oral minoxidil and finasteride too (previously took them as topical solutions), so we'll see how that affects my native hairs.

Now, the not so good (***which I should preface by saying has nothing to do with Dr. Konior or his team, again, they've been awesome and I'm so stoked for the final result which is honestly all I care about***):

1) I hit the back of my head on the side of a wall last night and opened a small zone along the incision/suture line. Suffice to say, it was painful af and I panicked hard. It was late, but I got a response from Dr. Konior at around 330AM and he emphasised that this is unlikely to do anything significant to the final healing. I went in today and he confirmed this. Still, I am essentially "starting over" in terms of healing that part of the incision line. He said he'll still be able to remove the suture line tomorrow before I head back home on Thursday and will probably place a dissolvable stitch in the zone I reopened. This also brings me to point 2

2)  Even before this accident though, I've had pain and discomfort in the donor area around the sutures and I haven't been able to sleep well. The techs have confirmed that the area is healing nicely and it looks great, so maybe my pain tolerance is low and for most people FUT recovery is pretty easy, but this has been tough and uncomfortable for me. Any pressure (even a pillow) on the donor area has been uncomfortable which makes getting a decent night's sleep difficult. The pain meds haven't really helped and the lack of sleep is just not fun. This has solidified my thinking that the next procedure for the crown will be done via FUE, not strip. 

Hair/recipient zone at 1-week post op:

IMG_3027.thumb.jpg.d3fea4aa7c25cefd531feae0c4a6c83c.jpgIMG_3026.thumb.jpg.57d8f4b159ce1bf42e4854a37312f771.jpgIMG_3024.thumb.jpg.5b1e1c5024278795451686618e852fbc.jpgIMG_3020.thumb.jpg.0df46c266bf5befb97ae86d17ef9dd00.jpg

Donor (first pic you can see zone where I hit wall and suture opened):

IMG_3029.thumb.jpeg.c893c48c96cf364732ae9fcba1239305.jpeg

IMG_3032.thumb.jpeg.73a2bb78ed150405a038c4502e911a40.jpegIMG_3031.thumb.jpeg.13028685c07c1530bb650fb20dadb255.jpegIMG_3030.thumb.jpeg.ef97394f8160f4bd5b5021e180772b5a.jpeg

buddy... get used to that discomfort in your donor/incision line. you’re in for a good couple of months minimum until that goes away. i’m 4.5 months in and mines still not normal. I’d say 80% normal. it’s gonna suck for the first 2-3 months

52 minutes ago, hairlossPA said:

buddy... get used to that discomfort in your donor/incision line. you’re in for a good couple of months minimum until that goes away. i’m 4.5 months in and mines still not normal. I’d say 80% normal. it’s gonna suck for the first 2-3 months

Great... I guess I'm fine with discomfort, but I'm not okay with the sharp pain from laying my head where the edge of the sutures are sticking out. Hopefully once they come off tomorrow that won't be an issue anymore.

• Administrators
18 hours ago, Egott92 said:

Hey fam I thought I'd update you since it's been exactly 1 week since the procedure. It's been an interesting week. Below are some highs and lows.

First, the good:

1) Dr. Konior and his staff have been incredible. They've allowed me to come in every day for a cleaning. The head technician and the entire team are really so sweet and want a successful result just as much as I do, and they're willing to do anything to make that happen. 

2) Recipient area is looking good and I've had no pain whatsoever in this frontal area! I've seen some very slight shedding, but it's looking good. I'm ready for the complete shed - or hoping I'm the lucky 1% t(very unlikely)! 

3) I extended my stay in Chicago by 4-5 days so that I could have Dr. Konior remove my sutures (tomorrow). I just didn't want to risk anyone back home screwing up the removal and impacting the linear scar in any way.

4) Just in general, now that the swelling has subsided, I'm REALLY happy with the hairline design. Actually SO excited for the final result. I've started oral minoxidil and finasteride too (previously took them as topical solutions), so we'll see how that affects my native hairs.

Now, the not so good (***which I should preface by saying has nothing to do with Dr. Konior or his team, again, they've been awesome and I'm so stoked for the final result which is honestly all I care about***):

1) I hit the back of my head on the side of a wall last night and opened a small zone along the incision/suture line. Suffice to say, it was painful af and I panicked hard. It was late, but I got a response from Dr. Konior at around 330AM and he emphasised that this is unlikely to do anything significant to the final healing. I went in today and he confirmed this. Still, I am essentially "starting over" in terms of healing that part of the incision line. He said he'll still be able to remove the suture line tomorrow before I head back home on Thursday and will probably place a dissolvable stitch in the zone I reopened. This also brings me to point 2

2)  Even before this accident though, I've had pain and discomfort in the donor area around the sutures and I haven't been able to sleep well. The techs have confirmed that the area is healing nicely and it looks great, so maybe my pain tolerance is low and for most people FUT recovery is pretty easy, but this has been tough and uncomfortable for me. Any pressure (even a pillow) on the donor area has been uncomfortable which makes getting a decent night's sleep difficult. The pain meds haven't really helped and the lack of sleep is just not fun. This has solidified my thinking that the next procedure for the crown will be done via FUE, not strip. 

Hair/recipient zone at 1-week post op:

IMG_3027.thumb.jpg.d3fea4aa7c25cefd531feae0c4a6c83c.jpgIMG_3026.thumb.jpg.57d8f4b159ce1bf42e4854a37312f771.jpgIMG_3024.thumb.jpg.5b1e1c5024278795451686618e852fbc.jpgIMG_3020.thumb.jpg.0df46c266bf5befb97ae86d17ef9dd00.jpg

Donor (first pic you can see zone where I hit wall and suture opened):

IMG_3029.thumb.jpeg.c893c48c96cf364732ae9fcba1239305.jpeg

IMG_3032.thumb.jpeg.73a2bb78ed150405a038c4502e911a40.jpegIMG_3031.thumb.jpeg.13028685c07c1530bb650fb20dadb255.jpegIMG_3030.thumb.jpeg.ef97394f8160f4bd5b5021e180772b5a.jpeg

Looking great, I’ve never had FUT, but I’m sure once you remove the sutures you’ll feel good. I’d suggest using vitamin e oil along the suture line for healing.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Nearly 2 weeks post-op! I was finally able to get the scabs and crusts off in the shower today. The amount of tiny hairs I saw shedding terrified me, but I know this is normal (right?). Pain in the donor area/FUT incision is finally subsiding, and now it's just a slightly dull discomfort. Still not the best sleep, but every day is easier and easier. 

Is there any evidence to suggest that the faster you shed, the earlier you should expect to see growth? I'm hoping that the oral minoxidil + finasteride will help with earlier growth, but not banking on it.

2-weeks post-op pics (including massive shower shed):

IMG_3164.jpeg

IMG_3165.jpeg

IMG_3166.jpeg

IMG_3167.jpeg

IMG_3168.jpeg

IMG_3169.jpeg

Just now, JohnAC71 said:

Yup shedding totally normal for this stage. Your FUT scar is looking really good. The scalp looks really clean and healing well 👏

Thank you so much. I really appreciate your comments and reassurance!

• Like 1

Just now, Hair Triggered said:

Does the neck brace help?

It's not mandatory, but Dr. Konior's post-op instructions say it can help with minimizing stretching of the donor scar by preventing you from bending your head down. I don't wear it for sleep because it's too uncomfortable, and now that I'm already 2-weeks post-op I'll use it less during the day.

You've done the easy bit.  Now for the 4-5 month wait...

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

On 3/16/2021 at 11:14 PM, makehairgreatagain said:

You'll feel a lot better with them out. Your sleeping will improve dramatically.

Agreed, the removal strip was the only part that hurt on me and I was taking the ibuprofen for quite some time!  Also your scar looks about like mine did which I was happy with, but mine got even smaller over the past couple months I can barely find it with my fingers now @ 3 months.

Edited by uklex0608
  • Thanks 1

My Hair Transplant: 12/14/2020, 2,380 FUT, Dr. Konior
Medication:  Finasteride 1mg daily (most days I remember)

Hey, thanks a lot for your post. I've been browsing this forum for years and finally have gotten enough courage to get FUE surgery. I chose Dr Konior and my procedure is 2 weeks from yesterday! I'm very nervous. Now that you're a few weeks post surgery, are you happy with things? How many graphs did you end up getting? And was there anything negative or scary about the whole procedure? I live in Ohio and Dr Konior's office is a 6 hour drive, so I'll be staying in a hotel from Tuesday-Saturday, about 10 min from the office. Any advice etc you would be able to give to me would be so much appreciated, given you had the same doc that will be doing my procedure. Thank you!

21 hours ago, notsosure said:

Hey, thanks a lot for your post. I've been browsing this forum for years and finally have gotten enough courage to get FUE surgery. I chose Dr Konior and my procedure is 2 weeks from yesterday! I'm very nervous. Now that you're a few weeks post surgery, are you happy with things? How many graphs did you end up getting? And was there anything negative or scary about the whole procedure? I live in Ohio and Dr Konior's office is a 6 hour drive, so I'll be staying in a hotel from Tuesday-Saturday, about 10 min from the office. Any advice etc you would be able to give to me would be so much appreciated, given you had the same doc that will be doing my procedure. Thank you!

Native Buckeye and current Chicago resident.  Similar situation as you, tapping this valuable resource for many years ultimately pulling the trigger.

I recently had a FUE operation with Dr. Konior a few weeks ago and so far the hardest part has been taking good pictures to eventually post my progress here.  

The surgery was a breeze and I am happy to answer any questions for a fresh perspective from a rookie HT recipient. Also travel back to Ohio frequently if you're in need of travel tips.

• Administrators

The scar is healing well, very excited to see your growth 👍🏼

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

21 hours ago, notsosure said:

You're in awesome hands, champybaby, anotherhairlosssufferer, and myself have all seen Konior in the past six months for various procedures.  So there's a lot of recent stuff to see in different stages/methods.  However we're all healing still and can't show you final results just yet--but regarding your week in Chicago, I think we all agree that it was pretty great. 

Word of warning, not all hotels have smart TVs, so pack your Roku, Apple TV, etc.  We had to make a Target run night before to buy one--as you'll spend a lot of time on it.  I stayed at Le Meridian and rented a car and thought since the other Le Meridian's I had been to had it, this one would too.

• Like 1

My Hair Transplant: 12/14/2020, 2,380 FUT, Dr. Konior
Medication:  Finasteride 1mg daily (most days I remember)

1 hour ago, uklex0608 said:

You're in awesome hands, champybaby, anotherhairlosssufferer, and myself have all seen Konior in the past six months for various procedures.  So there's a lot of recent stuff to see in different stages/methods.  However we're all healing still and can't show you final results just yet--but regarding your week in Chicago, I think we all agree that it was pretty great. 

Word of warning, not all hotels have smart TVs, so pack your Roku, Apple TV, etc.  We had to make a Target run night before to buy one--as you'll spend a lot of time on it.  I stayed at Le Meridian and rented a car and thought since the other Le Meridian's I had been to had it, this one would too.

Got it. Thanks man! I have Youtube TV, so will probably just bring my tablet along with me. How was sleep for you the first couple of nights? I'm getting FUE and I'm hoping that sleeping on my back will be doable since I won't have sutures etc. on the back of my head. Curious, did you get FUE or FUT?