Getting Ready for Transplant - Research, Thoughts, Opinions?

41 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

@Gatsby

Has some knowledge based on what he’s gone through in his own life. Being young and making a decision based off money is never a wise choice.

Now, are there good affordable clinics? Absolutely, but you need to research based on results and quality first and then weed clinics out based on budget. I’m not aware of the other two surgeons you mentioned, but Dr. Cooley is one of the best surgeons in the US. If he’s close to you, it’s a no-brainer. 

Check out his profile and look at some of the patient experiences/reviews. Those matter the most.

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/physician/North-Carolina/Jerry-Cooley/4

39 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Also, I’d throw in Dr. Shapiro in Minnesota. Check out @hybonixthread, you guys have similar hair characteristics and hair loss. 

Thank you for the response! I definitely would say Dr. Cooley is at the top of my list right now. 

I set up a virtual appointment with Dr. Cooley in NC, Dr. C in Atlanta, and Dr. Konior in Chicago, per the recommendations of people on here and the Hair Loss Conquerors Facebook group. 

I also had a phone call with Doctor Anderson's clinic in Atlanta. They were very pushy to get me some more information on Exosome Therapy, calling it the "miracle the hair restoration industry has been waiting for". Any thoughts on it? In quick research it seems very expensive for something that might or might not work. 

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, g4designs said:

Thank you for the response! I definitely would say Dr. Cooley is at the top of my list right now. 

I set up a virtual appointment with Dr. Cooley in NC, Dr. C in Atlanta, and Dr. Konior in Chicago, per the recommendations of people on here and the Hair Loss Conquerors Facebook group. 

I also had a phone call with Doctor Anderson's clinic in Atlanta. They were very pushy to get me some more information on Exosome Therapy, calling it the "miracle the hair restoration industry has been waiting for". Any thoughts on it? In quick research it seems very expensive for something that might or might not work. 

Well, Dr. Konior is definitely one of the very best, his reputation is world renowned. I had an interview with him a few months ago, and he said any surgeon that tells you something like “exosome is a miracle treatment” run from their office. I suggest having a listen yourself.

We no longer mention the other doctor from Atlantas name here, for legal reasons. Suffice to say he’s very pro-FUE and anti-FUT. I suggest going to doctor who will give you impartial advice on which technique would best suit you. 

Check out Dr. Konior interview below.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CItfBT8j7KO/?igshid=10rdtfsbcqylm

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

50 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Also, I’d throw in Dr. Shapiro in Minnesota. Check out @hybonixthread, you guys have similar hair characteristics and hair loss. 

Dr. Shapiro and Dr. Josephetis have super reasonable FUE prices that are cost-effective when compared to H&W, Gabel, Cooley and the others. I saved quite a bit of money going to Shapiro Medical Group versus H&W, and SMG is top notch (cost was not the determing factor either, it was just another plus side by going to SMG).

Melvin posted an interview with H&W and it's not all about the graft numbers, but how the transplanted hairs covers your skin to look less bald. Yes, more grafts will give you more density, but Coronal vs. Sagittal slits and other factors like size of hair follicles (fine vs thick hair) will determine the looks. Hair transplants are an illusion of density and you have limited supply. Each person has roughly 6 - 9k grafts and you want to plan appropriately. Shapiro who teaches transplant strategies extensively taught me that you shouldn't blow your wad in one session and cap it around 3k grafts to determine where you need to go next. Since you are young, you will most likely lose more hair and need another transplant. A low/aggressive hairline may look great now, but in 20 years, it may not. So, you need to plan accordingly based on donor supply. Chasing your hair loss will never end and you will need to keep taking meds, monitoring hair loss and seeing what your next steps are. One procedure is not enough and if money is an issue now, it will come to rear its ugly head again in the future imo. The next procedure you may not need as much, but it's still costly. Several veteran member here have had 4+ surgeries perfecting the density and hairline as their hair loss progressed even with medication. So, ask yourself now if this is worth chasing for the next 10, 20, 30 or even 40 years. 

To get that density and what you are looking for in that picture, I would say you need 4 - 5k grafts, maybe even more. 3k is a good starting point, but won't get you that amazing hairline in your doctored photo. You will look great for sure, but you have to be realistic and understand that a HT will never look as good as natural hair, but can improve your appearance and make you happy. There are grand slams and good results. Everyone is different and there is a chance that the procedure could fail (very low chance with a good clinic) but it's happened. Every doctor have people who had transplants that were complete failures due to the person not taking grafts well, even elite doctors. I am not to trying scare you, but saving you lots of time by being upfront about what it takes to keep your hair and the future.

Overall, I'm looking for a surgeon or a team who is willing to take care of me. I'm looking for someone who is willing to do whatever it takes to get me the best results -- someone that sees FUE almost as an artform, rather than just rushing to get me out so he can fit in his 3-o-clock appointment before a round of golf.

I would highly recommend you contact Shapiro Medical Group as they have amazing prices and are an elite clinic. Working with them, they didn't care about my money and honestly wanted what was best for me. They educated me about transplants and offered a whole new perspective. They even recommended other top clinics if I decided not go with them, so they truly care about you as a patient. You get the best of both worlds there and I am thrilled with my transplant thus far. Of course I would love a lower hairline and more density (everyone does), but you gotta be realistic and manage expectations with your budget and needs. Feel free to PM me and I can give you some guidance on what I have learned. However, please also contact other members for real reviews and results. Melvin has amazing YT videos on what to look for and how to pick the right surgeon -- follow his lead and investigate these forums to find your answer.

Here is my thread if you want to learn more: https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/58171-3332-fue-grafts-dr-ron-shapiro-dr-josephitis-smg/

Edited by hybonix
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1st Procedure: 3332 FUE Grafts | Shapiro Medical Group | 10.29.20
2nd Procedure: 1908 FUE Grafts | Shapiro Medical Group | 11.13.23

4 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Well, Dr. Konior is definitely one of the very best, his reputation is world renowned. I had an interview with him a few months ago, and he said any surgeon that tells you something like “exosome is a miracle treatment” run from their office. I suggest having a listen yourself.

We no longer mention the other doctor from Atlantas name here, for legal reasons. Suffice to say he’s very pro-FUE and anti-FUT. I suggest going to doctor who will give you impartial advice on which technique would best suit you. 

Check out Dr. Konior interview below.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CItfBT8j7KO/?igshid=10rdtfsbcqylm

Guess you hit two birds with one stone with that first answer, haha! I'll continue the virtual appointment, but I have already been very skeptical of Doctor Anderson's clinic. A lot of subtle things set off red flags in my head.

As for the other doctor, I completely understand. It seems this is a very difficult subject to research unbiased information on. I'll go ahead and draw my conclusion from that and perhaps do some investigating on the internet archive. ;)

I appreciate the interview. I'll watch that later tonight!

• Administrators
Just now, g4designs said:

Guess you hit two birds with one stone with that first answer, haha! I'll continue the virtual appointment, but I have already been very skeptical of Doctor Anderson's clinic. A lot of subtle things set off red flags in my head.

As for the other doctor, I completely understand. It seems this is a very difficult subject to research unbiased information on. I'll go ahead and draw my conclusion from that and perhaps do some investigating on the internet archive. ;)

I appreciate the interview. I'll watch that later tonight!

I have plenty more on IG, I have a series called Instagram live with surgeons. You’ll get some good insight. Yesterday I filmed a surgery, so you can actually see the process too.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

1 minute ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I have plenty more on IG, I have a series called Instagram live with surgeons. You’ll get some good insight. Yesterday I filmed a surgery, so you can actually see the process too.

That's phenomenal! I'll definitely take a look at everything on IG and YouTube! Thank you for all the time you put into this. It's really helpful for guys in my situation.

Do you know if there's a "master-list" somewhere with all the hair-restoration treatments (and their scientific validity), recommended doctors, trusted websites, forums, facebook groups, what to expect to pay and where, honest (not cherry-picked) results, etc? The deeper I research, the more bullshit I find. Like I said earlier, there's a lot of suspicious accounts on some places (like the HairTransplant subreddit) promoting sketchy treatments and even sketchier doctors. It is driving me crazy not knowing who is being paid by who, who is being silenced by who, and all the other issues that come along with things like this. 

And all the lies and false advertising aside, there's nothing but confirmation bias everywhere you look. Everyone wants to suggest their doctor, not because they're genuinely a good fit, but because they want to justify they spent $18k on "the best". I've also noticed places like Reddit's Tressless is VERY pro-medicinal treatment, which is fine, but I've seen users telling someone someone Fin/Min and a derma-needler is all they need to fix their Norwood 7. 

Rant aside, does that "master list" exist? If not, are there any resources that accomplish some of that? This forum and the HLC facebook group seem to be the most reliable so far.

This forum is just about the most transparent and trustworthy as you can get. All the recommended Drs/Clinics have gone through a rigorous consideration process which fully involves the members. And the list has changed if a clinic is no longer up to par.

The sheer amount of actual patient results/journey is a invaluable source. Plus other clinics that may not be yet on the list are mentioned and can be considered also. Pushing of a certain clinic/Dr does not happen here like other forums.

As you will have already noticed any online reviews such as Yelp, trustpilot, insta, google or Facebook cannot be relied upon as accurate. The only thing that can be truly relied upon is actual patients results such as on the forum here. Not the cherry picked clinic ones. 

Edited by JohnAC71
  • Thanks 2

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, g4designs said:

That's phenomenal! I'll definitely take a look at everything on IG and YouTube! Thank you for all the time you put into this. It's really helpful for guys in my situation.

Do you know if there's a "master-list" somewhere with all the hair-restoration treatments (and their scientific validity), recommended doctors, trusted websites, forums, facebook groups, what to expect to pay and where, honest (not cherry-picked) results, etc? The deeper I research, the more bullshit I find. Like I said earlier, there's a lot of suspicious accounts on some places (like the HairTransplant subreddit) promoting sketchy treatments and even sketchier doctors. It is driving me crazy not knowing who is being paid by who, who is being silenced by who, and all the other issues that come along with things like this. 

And all the lies and false advertising aside, there's nothing but confirmation bias everywhere you look. Everyone wants to suggest their doctor, not because they're genuinely a good fit, but because they want to justify they spent $18k on "the best". I've also noticed places like Reddit's Tressless is VERY pro-medicinal treatment, which is fine, but I've seen users telling someone someone Fin/Min and a derma-needler is all they need to fix their Norwood 7. 

Rant aside, does that "master list" exist? If not, are there any resources that accomplish some of that? This forum and the HLC facebook group seem to be the most reliable so far.

This forum is the master list, you can use our advanced search page to look up any doctor and or treatment to get the real scoop. Our forum has been around for 20 years. It was created by patients for patients. We also reject any advertisement requests. 

We have a list of recommended surgeons who have been approved and voted by the forum. As far as I know we’re the only organization that does this. You can use our list as a starting point for research and then cross reference and research on the forum. 

Here’s an outline 

Here’s our list: 

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Consult-a-Physician/hair-transplant-surgeons.asp?sr=HRN-MOB

• Thanks 1

View my thread

@hybonixI missed your reply earlier, so I'm sorry I took so long to reply. Thank you so much for sharing your experience!

I definitely agree the photoshopped image is a very unrealistic goal - and honestly - that's far more density than I've ever had. I was more or less just messing around with the results of one of Dr. Cooley's patients who had a very similar hairline to mine going in. 

Congratulations on getting your HT! From what it sounds like, SMG is exactly the kind of place I'm looking for. I know at the end of the day doctors are in the business to put food on the table, but there's a difference between ones interested in closing a deal and ones looking to make a positive difference in their patients' lives.

I'll definitely shoot you a message and follow up once I gather my thoughts more. Out of curiosity, how old are you roughly? When did you start balding? Have you been on Finasteride for the two-year period? And finally, do you mind saying about how much everything cost so far? I'm guessing the exosome injections were an additional upcharge? 

Go to Erdogan, you will spend less and fix your problem for life. You need 3000g for the front and like 500 to make your crown a bit more dense. Contrast between your hair  colour and crown colour will help the end result. 

• Confused 2

10 hours ago, g4designs said:

I don't know about the other docs but you're looking at like $50k to go with Konior ..

22 hours ago, g4designs said:

In the meantime, I think I may consider the options available for hair-pieces. If I can get something completely undetectable that I can sleep and shower in, I'll be happy for now.

If some kind of hair piece may be of interest for you, then it may be something to consider. 
From experience with other patients, once committing to a hair piece, it is very difficult to step away from and if the intention is to eventually restore with a hair transplant, be conscious that a transplant will not restore at the density that hair piece would present.

22 hours ago, g4designs said:

That's a really good point. Do you know if beard or other body hair would be viable substitutes as filler? I've noticed I have 3 different types/colors of hair on my body. My head is a medium thickness dark blonde with red undertones, my beard is thick and red, and my body hair (arms, legs) is a very thin lighter blonde-red. Do the follicles adapt to the location they are transplanted, or would there just be a mix of textures?

Beard hair is a very reliable source or donor area and in the right hands has yield comparable to that of the scalp. Obviously beard hair presents a thicker follicle and has a more wiry characteristic, and as you mention, colour, curl and coarseness are all factors to consider. Other body sources are not as reliable and yield can really differ from one patient to another. The anagen (growth) phase of much of our body hair is significantly shorter in terms of length of time than our scalp hair. You may find the following video quite interesting regarding body hair.

• Like 1

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

• Administrators
13 hours ago, g4designs said:

@hybonixI missed your reply earlier, so I'm sorry I took so long to reply. Thank you so much for sharing your experience!

I definitely agree the photoshopped image is a very unrealistic goal - and honestly - that's far more density than I've ever had. I was more or less just messing around with the results of one of Dr. Cooley's patients who had a very similar hairline to mine going in. 

Congratulations on getting your HT! From what it sounds like, SMG is exactly the kind of place I'm looking for. I know at the end of the day doctors are in the business to put food on the table, but there's a difference between ones interested in closing a deal and ones looking to make a positive difference in their patients' lives.

I'll definitely shoot you a message and follow up once I gather my thoughts more. Out of curiosity, how old are you roughly? When did you start balding? Have you been on Finasteride for the two-year period? And finally, do you mind saying about how much everything cost so far? I'm guessing the exosome injections were an additional upcharge? 

My advice is to send as many virtual consultations as possible. This will help you get a cost estimate and graft estimate. But remember the list is just a starting point for research 

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Consult-a-Physician/hair-transplant-surgeons.asp?sr=HRN-MOB

View my thread

15 hours ago, g4designs said:

I am only 27 years old and I started balding at 18, just like you. I have only been on Fin for 6 months and was on Fin for roughly 2 months before I got my hair transplant. I am not really allowed to share costs as they gave me a favorable discount, but it was in the ballpark of 17k for the 3k FUE. Exosomes was an additional charge and that is not a guarantee. Shapiro did share some before and after photos though, and there was definitely an improvement. But they didn't call it a miracle drug and noted that they started to offer it as they are seeing some favorable results with it.

• Like 1

1st Procedure: 3332 FUE Grafts | Shapiro Medical Group | 10.29.20
2nd Procedure: 1908 FUE Grafts | Shapiro Medical Group | 11.13.23

I never quite understand this 'age appropriate' hair line, and entirely disagree with it in this scenario. If it's solely from a donor retention/management perspective, of course it's best to be more conservative, but putting this to one side and focusing on the aesthetic, which is usually the basis of these comments, there are men in there 70s without hair loss, who have NW 0 or 1 hairlines, and this does not look inappropriate in the slightest. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rj. said:

I never quite understand this 'age appropriate' hair line, and entirely disagree with it in this scenario. If it's solely from a donor retention/management perspective, of course it's best to be more conservative, but putting this to one side and focusing on the aesthetic, which is usually the basis of these comments, there are men in there 70s without hair loss, who have NW 0 or 1 hairlines, and this does not look inappropriate in the slightest. 

It is very, very uncommon to see a 70 year old man with the hair line and density of an 18 year old. It’s so uncommon it often looks bizarre. 

6 hours ago, EvoXOhio said:

It is very, very uncommon to see a 70 year old man with the hair line and density of an 18 year old. It’s so uncommon it often looks bizarre. 

not the best looking guy in the world, but this doesn't look bizarre in the slightest IMO

image.jpeg

Edited by rj.

9 hours ago, rj. said:

not the best looking guy in the world, but this doesn't look bizarre in the slightest IMO

Arsene Wenger has great hair considering his age, I do agree. But comparing a 70 year old man who has not experienced any real degree of hair loss (based on this photo), and using his hairline as a reference point for a 25 year old man with a NW5 progressive pattern really has no relatability. 
The 25 year old has another 45 years until he reaches 70. Thats almost twice as long as his current age, and he will experience further loss. It would be unethical to use such a reference as justification for such an approach.

I do understand your point, but men in their 70´s that have experienced little or no loss represent a very small percentage of the population and certainly are not representative of ourselves on such forums.

I have concerns for patients who approach their surgery and objectives with such examples, because they will always be able to find a doctor somewhere, who will do whatever they ask, without any consideration for the future, and younger guys do not have their focus on the ageing process and future loss etc, and in almost every such instance, they will regret their actions. Hair loss itself is hard enough, without then creating additional issues and concerns due to inappropriate approaches. 

Edited by Raphael84
  • Like 1

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, Raphael84 said:

Arsene Wenger has great hair considering his age, I do agree. But comparing a 70 year old man who has not experienced any real degree of hair loss (based on this photo), and using his hairline as a reference point for a 25 year old man with a NW5 progressive pattern really has no relatability. 
The 25 year old has another 45 years until he reaches 70. Thats almost twice as long as his current age, and he will experience further loss. It would be unethical to use such a reference as justification for such an approach.

I do understand your point, but men in their 70´s that have experienced little or no loss represent a very small percentage of the population and certainly are not representative of ourselves on such forums.

I have concerns for patients who approach their surgery and objectives with such examples, because they will always be able to find a doctor somewhere, who will do whatever they ask, without any consideration for the future, and younger guys do not have their focus on the ageing process and future loss etc, and in almost every such instance, they will regret their actions. Hair loss itself is hard enough, without then creating additional issues and concerns with inappropriate approaches. 

Very well said, it’s like bringing up Ronald Reagan who was a phenom and thinking that will be natural for everyone. 

A hairline like sir Alex Ferguson (79 years old) looks a lot more natural and a better base for comparison in my opinion.

image.jpeg

View my thread

32 minutes ago, Raphael84 said:

I have concerns for patients who approach their surgery and objectives with such examples, because they will always be able to find a doctor somewhere, who will do whatever they ask, without any consideration for the future, and younger guys do not have their focus on the ageing process and future loss etc, and in almost every such instance, they will regret their actions. Hair loss itself is hard enough, without then creating additional issues and concerns due to inappropriate approaches. 

I agree with what you have said here Raphael, but in the defence of the poster - I believe he was merely using Arsene Wenger as an example of an older man with a NW1 in response to another poster claiming these types of men looking 'bizarre'. 

Whilst uncommon to have little to no hair loss at this age, Arsene Wenger, Ronald Reagan etc. certainly don't strike me as looking 'bizarre' at all.

The primary goal of hair restoration is to recreate mother nature as closely as is possible, so to claim men who have been fortunate enough to maintain their natural hair as being the unnatural looking ones is pretty amusing. 

4 hours ago, EvoXOhio said:

Agree to disagree. It looks like a wig in my opinion. 

I think in that case, that is testimony to the advancement in hair restoration systems. 

1 minute ago, Curious25 said:

I agree with what you have said here Raphael, but in the defence of the poster - I believe he was merely using Arsene Wenger as an example of an older man with a NW1 in response to another poster claiming these types of men looking 'bizarre'. 

Sure. I agree. Sorry if my post came across that way. It was not my intention.

As "repair" patients, or patients with concern contact the clinic on a weekly basis, it is something that is very real and something that I feel strongly about due to unethical practices and approaches. To personally discuss the consequences with individuals, and the such huge impact that unethical surgery has on not only their confidence, but seemingly on every facet of their lives, it is heart breaking.
My intentions were a more generalised comment as I wouldn't want younger/"uneducated" individuals starting out in their journey to read any post/ thread and get the wrong idea.

• Like 2

I would argue that using transplanted hair to create a NW1 hairline in the VAST majority of cases is looking for major trouble down the line.  

Even a older “stable” transplanted NW2 hairline could still thin out behind but at least that will be workable.  

In my opinion there just isn’t enough available grafts for average NW3 or worse guy to be anything but regretful after a NW1 hairline.  

Stinks but usually NW2 is as good as you can get and look good imho. 

2 hours ago, Snowboard said:

I would argue that using transplanted hair to create a NW1 hairline in the VAST majority of cases is looking for major trouble down the line.  

Even a older “stable” transplanted NW2 hairline could still thin out behind but at least that will be workable.  

In my opinion there just isn’t enough available grafts for average NW3 or worse guy to be anything but regretful after a NW1 hairline.  

Stinks but usually NW2 is as good as you can get and look good imho. 

95% of transplants on here have somewhere between NW1-1.5 hairlines, I rarely see a NW2 and when I do it's typically only if the patient started as a NW6.

Edited by BLE123