Is this the right time for me to get a hair transplant?

I am currently 27 and I've been losing hair since my mid-teens. I am probably at the higher Norwoods (I have some photos below so you can judge for yourself) and I've scheduled consultations with some of the recommended clinics from this forum. My concern is whether I am too young to be getting a hair transplant right now. I want to be cautious about having it done too early and regretting it. Do you think, given the current state of my hair loss, I am a good candidate?

As far as medication, I've tried finasteride but stopped due to side effects. Currently taking topical Minoxidil three times a week. Thank you!

IMG_0550.jpg

IMG_0563-min.png

IMG_0571.png

IMG_0588.jpg

IMG_0590.jpg

IMG_0611.jpg

Edited by nightowll
Correction

NW6 maybe going to NW7. You can get a hair transplant ONLY if you decide to start medication. I would personally also go to FUT to make 100% I will be inside the safe zone in the future. Your donor looks healthy. You will be needing approximately 4500 grafts. Good Luck! 

Edited by Kharmacoma

• Valued Contributor

Have you considered looking into topical finasteride or dutasteride. A small number of people who cannot tolerate finasteride have been able to use dutasteride. As for minoxidil I wouldn't be taking it three times a day but at least once a day (topically). Consult with a good dermatologist or trichologist. I really like (and admire) your reluctance to jump straight in. Do some more research and look at some of the doctors recommended on this forum. All the best!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

Have you considered looking into topical finasteride or dutasteride. A small number of people who cannot tolerate finasteride have been able to use dutasteride. As for minoxidil I wouldn't be taking it three times a day but at least once a day (topically). Consult with a good dermatologist or trichologist. I really like (and admire) your reluctance to jump straight in. Do some more research and look at some of the doctors recommended on this forum. All the best!

I'm actually taking Minoxidil three times a week not three times a day (that would be too much 😀). Also, I've never tried dutasteride before, will definitely look more into it. However, knowing my luck, I'll probably get sides from it too. So, would you not recommend getting a HT yet? I've been doing as much research as I can and only considering doctors recommended by this forum. So far I've contacted the following clinics:

- Hasson and Wong

- Dr. Maras (HDC)

- Eugenix

- Dr. Barghouthi

- Dr. Vories

- Dr. Raphael de Freitas

- Dr. Lorenzo

- Dr. Bruno Ferreira

But I definitely don't want to rush it and would like to hear from everyone here whether I am a good candidate or not.

All of them are top doctors. Although at least half of those doctors won’t operate you if you don’t start finasteride one year in advance.
Of course you can lie about it, but the fact that they insist on it says a lot do it how important it is for your case. 

Edited by Kharmacoma

11 minutes ago, Kharmacoma said:

All of them are top doctors. Although at least half of those doctors won’t operate you if you don’t start finasteride one year in advance.
Of course you can lie about it, but the fact that they insist on it says a lot do it how important it is for your case. 

I see. What I find interesting is that I have seen quite a few members in this forum start finasteride after having their surgery. In fact, our forum moderator @Melvin-Moderator does not even take Finasteride. In any case, I will be looking into dutasteride and topical finasteride. Oral finasteride is out of the question for me.

It’s not one size fits it all. You are very young with probability for NW7. 

You have high risk your hair in the back to go further down in the next 20-30 years. This will cause you two problems:

1) You will need to have a second hair transplant 

2) Some of the transplanted hairs will fall as well as will be taken out from areas which you thought were safe now, but in 30 years you will realize they weren’t. 

Of course hair is not everything in life and it’s totally normal not to want to commit to to finasteride for the rest of your life. I absolutely understand this. I am just presenting you, your options. 

My 2 cents. 

Edited by Kharmacoma

8 hours ago, Kharmacoma said:

NW6 maybe going to NW7. You can get a hair transplant ONLY if you decide to start medication. I would personally also go to FUT to make 100% I will be inside the safe zone in the future. Your donor looks healthy. You will be needing approximately 4500 grafts. Good Luck! 

Not sure where do you see "NW6, maybe going to NW7". This is clear NW5 with strong lateral humps and overall donor. Crown doesn't go deep. Worst case scenario in the future - NW6 if not on meds, but nothing close to NW7. Not everyone would go full blown NW7.

@nightowll I think if you don't do anything about stopping further hair loss, then be conservative, go for FUT and make the most out of each graft. I think one good strip can yield about 5000 grafts (if head is big enough) taken from ear to ear, so it would be possible to cover the whole area in one go. Of course don't expect it to be perfect, as no 1 transplant is perfect and most people will pursue 2nd and 3rd to finish the look, but it will give you a new hairline and good coverage.

1st FUE28/01/2020 - 3659 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira
2nd FUE - 03/06/2021 - 2881 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira

Follow me on YouTube

I'm not a medical professional, thus any information given by me is my own observation and should not be treated as professional advice.

4 hours ago, nightowll said:

I see. What I find interesting is that I have seen quite a few members in this forum start finasteride after having their surgery. In fact, our forum moderator @Melvin-Moderator does not even take Finasteride. In any case, I will be looking into dutasteride and topical finasteride. Oral finasteride is out of the question for me.

If oral finasteride gave you sides, don’t even think about oral dutasteride. Topicals may be worth trialling. 

You’re a clear NW5 by the way, not a 6/7. 

You have some good docs on your shortlist, and from the pics, you appear to be a good candidate - the disadvantages being your age and lack of medication. 

How’s your beard ? Clinics such as Eugenix can extract up to 2000 grafts via BHT from patients that present with good beard coverage. 

I would recommend a two, maybe even three stage approach. Sort your frontal Third out and gain back some confidence from facial framing, and the ability to work new hairstyles. 

Keep us all updated, good luck! 

11 hours ago, Rolandas said:

Not sure where do you see "NW6, maybe going to NW7". This is clear NW5 with strong lateral humps and overall donor. Crown doesn't go deep. Worst case scenario in the future - NW6 if not on meds, but nothing close to NW7. Not everyone would go full blown NW7.

@nightowll I think if you don't do anything about stopping further hair loss, then be conservative, go for FUT and make the most out of each graft. I think one good strip can yield about 5000 grafts (if head is big enough) taken from ear to ear, so it would be possible to cover the whole area in one go. Of course don't expect it to be perfect, as no 1 transplant is perfect and most people will pursue 2nd and 3rd to finish the look, but it will give you a new hairline and good coverage.

I definitely plan on doing something about stopping further hair loss. I tried oral fin, didn’t work out, so I’ll be trying topical fin with minoxidil. 

I agree that going with FUT as the first step might be good idea to maximize donor retention. My only concern with FUT is the scar as I’d like to cut my hair short at the back. I’m also a little worried about recovery time and pain compared to FUE

10 hours ago, Curious25 said:

If oral finasteride gave you sides, don’t even think about oral dutasteride. Topicals may be worth trialling. 

You’re a clear NW5 by the way, not a 6/7. 

You have some good docs on your shortlist, and from the pics, you appear to be a good candidate - the disadvantages being your age and lack of medication. 

How’s your beard ? Clinics such as Eugenix can extract up to 2000 grafts via BHT from patients that present with good beard coverage. 

I would recommend a two, maybe even three stage approach. Sort your frontal Third out and gain back some confidence from facial framing, and the ability to work new hairstyles. 

Keep us all updated, good luck! 

Yeah, I was a little surprised to be told that I’m NW6 going into NW7! I didn’t think I was that bald yet 😅

My beard is pretty good, nice and dense at the neck area. How many grafts do you think I will need to sort out the frontal third? I can hold off on the crown for now and get it sorted later down the line. 

3 hours ago, nightowll said:

Yeah, I was a little surprised to be told that I’m NW6 going into NW7! I didn’t think I was that bald yet 😅

My beard is pretty good, nice and dense at the neck area. How many grafts do you think I will need to sort out the frontal third? I can hold off on the crown for now and get it sorted later down the line. 

Depending on your hair calibre and groupings - I’d say 3500 grafts over 2 days would leave your frontal third looking pretty solid ! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nightowll said:

I didn't say you are that bald! :) I said it seems you will end up NW6-7. Its quite possible this will happen looking at your crown at 27 years old. Anyway, judge all opinions and you can decide.

Edited by Kharmacoma

i am NW6 and had 1 FUT done. I am not on finasteride. If you are going to have multiple FUT surgeries, you do not need to be on finasteride, because your entire head will be transplanted hairs pretty much. 

5 hours ago, baldiee said:

i am NW6 and had 1 FUT done. I am not on finasteride. If you are going to have multiple FUT surgeries, you do not need to be on finasteride, because your entire head will be transplanted hairs pretty much. 

Only if your donor allows for it, and you are content with the limitations of transplanted density.  

RE. Multiple FUT surgeries, this again is dependent on the individual, as reduction in scalp laxity doesn’t always allow for multiple FUT’s.