23M diffuse thinning

Hi all!

This is probably going to be long, so apologies and thank you in advance if you read it!

I am a 23 (soon 24) year old diffuse thinner. My balding began quite early, I have had a NW1 hairline at 15-16. That's where it started, but otherwise it was not that noticeable. About 2-3 years ago I noticeably (at least for me) started thinning. Especially in the crown area. Also the hairline receded a bit, but I am okay with that now, my main problem is the crown and the thinning. Also my hair is quite greasy, but maybe it has nothing to do with this.

I have two questions for now:

The first is: my father has a similar balding pattern to me, of course he is balder than me, but the way I see it I am headed the same way, although his hairloss started later than mine, and he always had straight,thin hair, while I had thicker, curly/wavy hair all my life (except for the past 2-3 years). He is about a NW5 but it is hard to tell because the NW scale is not perfect for us diffuse thinners as far as I understand. My paternal grandpa was also a NW5, but he as well went bald much later than I am going and this grandpa of mine had the similar hair qualities to mine. (My maternal grandfather was a solid NW0.) So who might I take after? What's the possibilty that I will be balder than them? Why did it start this early for me?

The second: I feel that my donor area is not strong, but I think it has been like this as far as I can remember. I upload some pics and I would really appreciate if you could tell me how it looks and whether I am a candidate for HT in the future. At 23-24 I know I am early for that, but just for planning I would like to hear your opinions on it.

Well that's all, as you can see I have a lot of questions, I would be very happy if you helped me with them! Thank you in advance again.

Snapchat-679056306.jpg

Snapchat-217568260.jpg

First, it's good that you've identified this early on. Are you on finasteride and minoxidil?

So who might I take after? What's the possibilty that I will be balder than them? Why did it start this early for me?

Hair loss is unpredictable since it's multifactorial and different males within a family can have it at different onset in terms of age. There's a term in genetics called penetrance and that can help explain why someone may have MPB earlier on than their father. Beyond genetics, there are issues with stress, hormones (like cortisol), neurotransmitters, TSH, etc. 

I would consult with your physician and get a TSH and cortisol checked. Ask your doctor about finasteride and minoxidil as well. As always, feel free to ask me questions and you're welcome to private message me as well.

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

Thank you so much, Dr. Khokhar!

I am not on either of them yet, but I am considering minoxidil (Kirkland) as that seems easy to obtain. Finasteride has to be prescribed in my country (Hungary) as far as I know, but I will definitely ask my physician about that as well.

On a side note: I have been to a dermatologist recently, because I also have seborrheic dermatitis on my scalp,face and chest and for the last few months it has gotten pretty bad. Now I got it under control fortunately. I also asked her about my hairloss, said it is genetic (by only looking at me) and has nothing to do with seb.derm. I am thinking of contacting a dermatologist who deals with hairloss.

Will keep this thread updated if anything happens, super happy that you answered! :)

• Administrators

Hows the top look?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Hi @Melvin-Moderator!

Sorry for not answering earlier, I only saw your comment now.

The first picture is right after washing and drying and styled in (dandruff is gone now, thanks to Neutrogena T gel Fort). The second is when it's not styled in (and a bit wet/greasy)

This longer curly hair fits my face and also helps me cover the thinning areas but it's only a matter of time till it won't...

Snapchat-649010757.jpg

Snapchat-1515232176.jpg

Edited by Corinthian
tagging