How Much Does A Hair Transplant Cost?

• Administrators

I receive this question daily, everyone is interested to know the cost before even showing their hair loss. I would love to hear some input from the community. I will start first. My first HT in 2014 I paid around $5 per graft, the results weren't good. Second HT I paid $7 per graft, excellent results. I had all of my procedures in California. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I know price should never be a deciding factor when choosing which clinic to go to. For me personally the reality was there would have been some clinics out of my price range for the number of grafts I needed, but I still had plenty of options to narrow down clinics with what I could realistically afford.

Paid €2.5 per graft, 5,000 grafts = €12,500

At the time was roughly £10,500 gbp and the best money I’ve ever spent in my life!

I would have paid double that if I knew how happy the results would make me.

• Like 1

I'm thinking about getting a HT of about 3000 grafts in the next year or so, so I've created a chart with all the doctors I'm considering:

Hasson and Wong (5% tax added to these):

4000 FUT $16,800
3000 FUT $13,650

4000 FUE $29,400
3000 FUE $23,100

"Our FUE fee schedule is $8.00 USD ($5.00 for FUT) per graft for the first 2000 grafts and $6.00 USD ($3.00 for FUT) for each graft above 2,000 plus a 5% tax."

Konior:

3000 FUT $25,000
2000 FUE $25,000

Nadimi:

3000 FUT $16,000
2000 FUE $16,000

Wesley:

2700 FUE $17,000

Bloxham:

3000 FUT $14,000

• Moderators
1 hour ago, caricatura said:

Konior:

3000 FUT $25,000
2000 FUE $25,000

Those are some very high prices.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

7 minutes ago, BeHappy said:

Those are some very high prices.

Yeah, to be honest, he's my top pick, but the year wait time and price are a bit ridiculous. He's clearly aware of his market value and raised his prices accordingly. I also imagine he will retire in the next 5 years, and so is raking it in during his final rounds.

3 minutes ago, Curious25 said:

What he can do with fewer grafts compared to others is worth the extra $$$ IMO. 

Maybe you’re paying more in monetary terms, however you’re equally expending less on a finite resource. 

This is true, and why he's at the top of my list. Hasson and Wong, for example, give you more grafts for the price, and are consistently solid, but their grafts often don't seem to go as far. This is the same for Couto and Freitas. For them, 3000 grafts looks like 5000 at other clinics, and when you're progressively balding and want your results to last a while before getting another surgery down the road, this matters.

I don’t disagree Konior is expensive BUT I paid about half his price for a failed transplant and damaged donor from my first transplant somewhere else.

I then went to Konior twice for 1500 each time which was corresponding less than the 2000 graft quote you gave.  My Konior results have been excellent, I am now about 6.5 months out from my second procedure with him.

I know it is hard not to look at cost but with my experience, both the good and the bad, I would say if you can at all afford him go to Konior as the consistency of excellent results is worth the extra cost.  

You only have so much donor available and a bad result can destroy your ability to get your hair back.

• Like 3

I hear you--thanks for the feedback, @Snowboard. I can't pretend to be an expert, but I think what these elite surgeons have that others don't is their strategic graft placement. Whereas other clinics will just densely pack an area, thinking merely about grafts per square cm, these other surgeons are like painters who seem to be able to tailor fit their surgeries; they envision, beforehand, the end result with your particular hair characteristics, and so know exactly which grafts to place where and why (considering things such as parts and slight comb-overs and how the hair will land, etc.).

Edited by caricatura
  • Like 2

Agree that is critical to get more mileage out of each graft and he got a TON out of 3000 grafts on me.  I think what is often overlooked is that many clinics have very sloppy procedures versus the few elite ones that are out there.  

Konior spends the whole day sitting next to your head, at my first failed procedure the doctor literally only made slits and that took like 10 minutes for cornrow holes to be made.   Other than that techs extracted and implanted all the grafts with him no where in sight.  No wonder it failed...

I think Konior has pride in his work and while many surgeons are “painters” he really is the rare “artist”.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, caricatura said:

This is true, and why he's at the top of my list. Hasson and Wong, for example, give you more grafts for the price, and are consistently solid, but their grafts often don't seem to go as far. This is the same for Couto and Freitas. For them, 3000 grafts looks like 5000 at other clinics, and when you're progressively balding and want your results to last a while before getting another surgery down the road, this matters.

Just to clarify, are you saying that Couto and Freitas can do more with fewer grafts than Hasson and Wong?

54 minutes ago, nightowll said:

Just to clarify, are you saying that Couto and Freitas can do more with fewer grafts than Hasson and Wong?

That's my assessment, yes. I rarely see Couto or Freitas cases bigger than 6000 grafts, whereas Hasson and Wong are known for their mega sessions. They always look good, but with Couto and Freitas, I am often shocked at how much hair they get with a comparatively smaller number of grafts. This could, however, have to do with Spanish hair characteristics. None of this is really a knock to H & W, more a "how in the world" to the other two.

Edited by caricatura

1 hour ago, caricatura said:

That's my assessment, yes. I rarely see Couto or Freitas cases bigger than 6000 grafts, whereas Hasson and Wong are known for their mega sessions. They always look good, but with Couto and Freitas, I am often shocked at how much hair they get with a comparatively smaller number of grafts. This could, however, have to do with Spanish hair characteristics. None of this is really a knock to H & W, more a "how in the world" to the other two.

I think it's a difference in philosophy. Couto and Freitas can give you an illusion of density with less grafts, but Hasson & Wong gives you the real thing but with more grafts. Give anyone the choice and they'd ask for black hole density with an N64 cartridge hairline. Now whether you should give patients near native density or not depends on the patient. 

At the end of the day, some people don't want the illusion. They wanna look like a caveman

2 hours ago, nightowll said:

Fair enough. I wonder how Hasson and Wong would do with Spanish hair 😀

Their poster boy for years was a Spanish man from Madrid. Unbelievable hair density and characteristics 

• Valued Contributor

Back in 1985 my two hair transplants cost $800 each! To have Dr Sheils perform a hair transplant (who was 'the surgeon' at the time for 'punch graft' plugs) he charged $1,200. If only I was aware of Dr Shiels at the time I would have gone to him and he would have rejected me and educated me for all the right reasons. Why? Because no amount of money today can remove the scars and the lost grafts. In the words of Winston Churchill, when you're going through hell keep going!

• Moderators
On 3/6/2021 at 1:01 AM, Gatsby said:

Back in 1985 my two hair transplants cost $800 each! To have Dr Sheils perform a hair transplant (who was 'the surgeon' at the time for 'punch graft' plugs) he charged $1,200. If only I was aware of Dr Shiels at the time I would have gone to him and he would have rejected me and educated me for all the right reasons. Why? Because no amount of money today can remove the scars and the lost grafts. In the words of Winston Churchill, when you're going through hell keep going!

How many grafts did you get? I was paying $18.50 per graft in 1989. My first session was 60 grafts and a scalp reduction. The graft size was 3.75mm. They weren't punched out from the donor though. I had a strip cut out with a triple blade knife.

• Sad 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Valued Contributor
18 hours ago, BeHappy said:

How many grafts did you get? I was paying $18.50 per graft in 1989. My first session was 60 grafts and a scalp reduction. The graft size was 3.75mm. They weren't punched out from the donor though. I had a strip cut out with a triple blade knife.

The price was based on the operation (not the number of plugs). They basically used a 5mm biopsy punch that could hold as many as up to 13 hairs in each 'plug.' The plugs were punched out of the donor area and a same size area was punched out of the donor area and the plug was planted in there. The holes in the back of the scalp were stapled close. I had this operation done twice. 😬

• Administrators
8 hours ago, nicoandgello said:

Too much for the demand. I dont know why it is so expensive. 

There’s a price point for everyone, you pay more depending on the surgeon. It’s all relative to location and convenience.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Well, it can end up being $18k or $25k, but if it ends up being a repair, you’ll lose that and you will probably pay more to get it fixed.  

you may be told you need 2-3 small surgeries to fix it.  I am trying to find a solution to get repaired by a doctor that wont let me down.  The doctor did not answer goals and fix, but set me back further. 

the docs that led me here , in this state, can enjoy their life, while i continue to suffer and I will never forget. 

But Glad i am able to help folks out, many reach out for support, and that does make me feel good.  Saving lives is important.   Ultimately,  I hope i will be able to get out of this mess soon.