Am I a hair transplant candidate despite Alopecia Areata and Retrograde alopecia?

Hi guys,

I would like to improve my hairline with a small hair transplant but I'm not sure if I am an appicable case.

I am 30 years old and as you can see on the pictures, my frontal loss is not too bad, but since I always had a high forehead, even the little loss I have has a visual impact that I dont like.

The problem is that I have Alopecia Areata and Retrograde Alopecia, next to the "normal" MPB.

I had my first Alopecia Areata spot in December 2019, it grew back within a few months. The second one was a year later in december 2020. Now I have a third, active one which you can also see on the pictures. One thing I noticed is that in all 3 cases, the spots occured shortly after I removed mold from my apartment. I wondered if there might a coherence to the mold and my immune system going crazy and attacking my follicles...

About the Retrograde, I am totally clueless why this happens and how this could progress. My sides have alsways been a bit thin but I feel like it got worse over the years. With the hair very short its harder to notice but I will upload a pic with longer hair where you can see it.

Do you think that if I get the Alopecia areata under control, I could go for a transplant?

With the Retrograde alopecia I feel like there is nothing I can do, but it only seems to effect my sides, so I could take grafts from my back I guess.

Treatmentwise I am using Minoxidil and Zix (experimental topical with Zinc sulphate and Vitaming b6 that is said to reduce DHT in the scalp) at the moment.

Front 2.jpg

Spots.jpg

Back.jpg

side 1.jpg

Top.jpg

side 2.jpg

Front.jpg

sides 3.jpg

Top 2.jpg

Back 2.jpg

Have you tested for immune issues? do you have auto immune problems in your family? I would get third opinions on what could have caused areatea in the first place and you need to manage that before considering any transplant. That being said, I think you have great hair all around. I see the bit in the hairline that bothers you, but my first step would be to get on fiansteride and see how it works for you. 

• Administrators

I would say no because you don’t really have hair loss. Second, alopecia areata is an autoimmune condition that resolves is on its own without surgery. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

2 hours ago, TorontoMan said:

Have you tested for immune issues? do you have auto immune problems in your family? I would get third opinions on what could have caused areatea in the first place and you need to manage that before considering any transplant. That being said, I think you have great hair all around. I see the bit in the hairline that bothers you, but my first step would be to get on fiansteride and see how it works for you. 

I was at the dermatologist and he confirmed it is Alopecia Areata. He told me to treat it with zinc supplements and cortisone gel, which I do.

Further I got tested for vitamin deficiency and thyroid issues. The vitamins are ok, my TSH is too high I guess (4,15). I ordered a curcumin supplement to lower the TSH level und fight inflammation on my scalp.

Do you think there is something left I could do or get tested for?

Regarding finasteride, I am very hesitant to take it since a guy I know personally suffers from post finasteride syndrome and I had long talks with him about how this drug fucked him up. Therefore I'm trying to fight DHT with Zix. To early to tell if it's working though.

23 minutes ago, Paqua said:

I was at the dermatologist and he confirmed it is Alopecia Areata. He told me to treat it with zinc supplements and cortisone gel, which I do.

Further I got tested for vitamin deficiency and thyroid issues. The vitamins are ok, my TSH is too high I guess (4,15). I ordered a curcumin supplement to lower the TSH level und fight inflammation on my scalp.

Do you think there is something left I could do or get tested for?

Regarding finasteride, I am very hesitant to take it since a guy I know personally suffers from post finasteride syndrome and I had long talks with him about how this drug fucked him up. Therefore I'm trying to fight DHT with Zix. To early to tell if it's working though.

If anything is inhibiting the enzyme conversion to DHT, then its not natural, what difference would it make if DHT is being reduced by a drug like finasteride or a few vitamins? I wouldnt spend too much time buying into any other DHT inhibiting products. Not sure why we would be afraid of a drug doing the same thing but would be delighted if something from nature did it instead. Its not ideal to have to reduce your DHT levels to combat a cosmetic problem, but you should at least refer to the numbers. They did double blinded placebo study, one notably over 10 years in some 500 japenese men, this means no one even knew what they were being treated with and the were reporting very few side effects. I'm not discounting your buddies problems, just somethign for you to keep in mind yourself. There are also users on here who have been on fin for over 10 years.