Hairloss Hope Exosome Results - Dr McGrath

Curious25

I find it painful watching these videos, but would be interested to hear others take on this. 

For me;

1) The difference in hair colour between the before and afters indicates that the lighting conditions are either different, or have been altered through photo editing.

2) The head angles are significantly different in the comparison photos. From the rear, the before picture is tilted further backwards, exposing more of the top of the crown/vertex - and similarly, from the front, the before picture is tilted further forwards, again, exposing more of the top of the crown/vertex areas. 

3) The fact that Dr McGrath can't make eye contact with the camera or even the very man sat next to him whilst proclaiming how good the results are, speaks volumes to me - let alone the claim that one of his HT patients who underwent Exo therapy during surgery, later presented results at 2 months, 'comparable' with a patient at 8 months post surgery . . . . . 2 months!!!  I mean come on, that's the level of exaggeration I'd expect to hear in a primary school playground. Surely if this was the case, you would be taking hundreds of photos of this phenomenon, plastering them around the web, and having the case study documented and published in a range of medical journals? 

I don't want to be cynical, because I would love to see this a success - it just doesn't give me hope with these two cowboys at the forefront of the movement. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

There's definitely something going on with either the lighting of the contrast, but for this particular instance I'm not sure it matters either way.

If you've seen what this YouTuber looked like before any work was done you know he has severe hair loss without a bunch of native hair remaining, and at this point he's had a few surgeries that may have reduced the number of native hairs further still. All accounts of exosomes seem to indicate that they generally work like PRP in that they strengthen miniaturized hair to improve its cosmetic impact, and it's extremely rare to see dormant follicles that haven't been producing hair suddenly start kicking again. This guy was almost certainly going to have little to no response right from the start.

Right now with everything I've seen I would probably put exosomes in a similar category to PRP with the one stipulation that exosomes sourced from a quality company are probably more consistent than PRP because you don't have as many variables to deal with. However, that X factor of the patient's physiology is just as fickle with this as it is with PRP. Some people seem like they respond very well, others have very little to show for it.

Really don’t like how Dr. McGrath claims he has had only 4 or 5 non responders out of 800. Complete bs IMO. The thread I started with my exosomes treatment there were several that claimed zero results. Along with myself. Very very expensive so I would caution anyone interested in doing this to understand it’s probably more of a coin flip on getting results.

• Like 3

• Administrators

I agree with your assessments, I really wish they’d take a scientific approach and measure hair density, as opposed to using flash photography.

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Personally I think David is a bullshitter.. hes finding opportunities now to endorse some of these new products because hes got some following on his youtube channel and sees the opportunity to make money. He still pushes those laser helmets that clearly don't do shit.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I agree with your assessments, I really wish they’d take a scientific approach and measure hair density, as opposed to using flash photography.

Exactly - you’d expect a medical profesional to primarily be using these simple kinds of density measurements for the analysis. 

Thanks for the mention. I am hopeful certainly like anyone hoping for more positive medical breakthroughs that could enhance results or even slow down hairloss. We do need more robust studies on that and if you do a simple search on pubmed (exosomes for hair loss) you will have few studies that are generally positive in that sense. However, we do need bigger well designed studies. 

Exosomes derived from human dermal papilla cells promote hair growth in cultured human hair follicles and augment the hair-inductive capacity of cultured dermal papilla spheres

• Like 1

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

• Administrators
1 hour ago, DrTBarghouthi said:

Thanks for the mention. I am hopeful certainly like anyone hoping for more positive medical breakthroughs that could enhance results or even slow down hairloss. We do need more robust studies on that and if you do a simple search on pubmed (exosomes for hair loss) you will have few studies that are generally positive in that sense. However, we do need bigger well designed studies. 

Exosomes derived from human dermal papilla cells promote hair growth in cultured human hair follicles and augment the hair-inductive capacity of cultured dermal papilla spheres

Thanks for sharing Dr. Bargouthi, after speaking with Dr. Shapiro, he hopes to design some really good studies with exosome therapy. I’m definitely skeptical but hopeful that it could work.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

3 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I think it's important to have the photos as well, but it's imperative that they attempt to make those photos as "scientific" as possible, including trichoscopy.

Like we discussed in your oral minoxidil thread, it is possible to have statistically significant improvement in hair count without it amounting to much in the way of cosmetic benefit. Ideally, I'd like to see numbers indicating count of vellus and terminal hairs, including vellus hairs that have become terminal, trichoscopy photos of the same area, and then some photos of the head to see the impact. 

It would also be valuable to have an overall percentage indication of responders, maybe into a few tiers like minimal response, moderate response, significant response, and true non-responders. The most interesting thing I took away from oral minoxidil studies was that there were virtually zero non-responders which is very different from the topical.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Thanks for sharing Dr. Bargouthi, after speaking with Dr. Shapiro, he hopes to design some really good studies with exosome therapy. I’m definitely skeptical but hopeful that it could work.

Yes we might actually source it at our practice and do some clinic based testing regarding results before deciding whether to provide it. I hope better studies can give us better answers soon. 

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

13 minutes ago, DrTBarghouthi said:

Yes we might actually source it at our practice and do some clinic based testing regarding results before deciding whether to provide it. I hope better studies can give us better answers soon. 

That would be great, especially with your active involvement with the forum. Where and when would you be looking to source the product from?

• Administrators
2 hours ago, DrTBarghouthi said:

That would be amazing, a simple way is to get a densimeter that measures the hairs per cm2. If you posted this on the forum and YouTube it could be huge. 

View my thread

6 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

That would be amazing, a simple way is to get a densimeter that measures the hairs per cm2. If you posted this on the forum and YouTube it could be huge. 

Yes absolutely. I use a “haircheck” device that gives is a hair mass index. Basically a number that is a function of number of hairs and calibre per fixed area (2x2cm) square. 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

8 hours ago, Curious25 said:

That would be great, especially with your active involvement with the forum. Where and when would you be looking to source the product from?

I am looking still at different suppliers. Regulatory issues regarding such treatments can be an issue and a lengthy process as a first time thing. Hopefully bu summer time if no real issues come up. 

• Like 1

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

• Administrators
9 hours ago, DrTBarghouthi said:

Yes absolutely. I use a “haircheck” device that gives is a hair mass index. Basically a number that is a function of number of hairs and calibre per fixed area (2x2cm) square. 

Look forward to seeing more of this, please keep me updated. If it’s promising, I’ll be headed to you 😁

• Like 1

View my thread

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/2/2021 at 10:45 AM, Curious25 said:

Exactly - you’d expect a medical profesional to primarily be using these simple kinds of density measurements for the analysis. 

Yeah, I agree. Look at this doctor (below video), she measured it and concluded that PRP was helpful for about 58% of patients. Why he doesn't do the same? He doesn't have a scientific background.

That measurement could be done with Exosomes too. But assuming Exosomes is better than PRP, we could say it's more than 58%, but I agree that it will be far from 99%. I'd be willing to try if it wasn't so expensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1HnJxFH1Sg

Edited by Phab

• Administrators

@DrTBarghouthi

Is there a specific reason why exosome treatment is so expensive? Is this dependent on the doctor? I’ve heard some doctors charge $5,000 which seems crazy to me.

View my thread

1 minute ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

@DrTBarghouthi

Is there a specific reason why exosome treatment is so expensive? Is this dependent on the doctor? I’ve heard some doctors charge $5,000 which seems crazy to me.

The vials themselves are quite expensive but I dont have an exact price range for all companies. They are definitely pricier than PRP. However, I am sure there is some variation in pricing according to doctors and location. Also companies tend to charge differently in different markets depending on levels of income, customs etc. We tend to have high custom costs on cosmetic material but in exchange companies tend to give us good discounted prices usually. For example, a PRP session at our clinic is around 250 USD which is probably 25% of the US price. 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

2 hours ago, DrTBarghouthi said:

The vials themselves are quite expensive but I dont have an exact price range for all companies. They are definitely pricier than PRP. However, I am sure there is some variation in pricing according to doctors and location. Also companies tend to charge differently in different markets depending on levels of income, customs etc. We tend to have high custom costs on cosmetic material but in exchange companies tend to give us good discounted prices usually. For example, a PRP session at our clinic is around 250 USD which is probably 25% of the US price. 

Are you still hoping to trial the exosome treatment at your clinic ?  

Just now, Curious25 said:

Are you still hoping to trial the exosome treatment at your clinic ?  

Yes we are hoping to once we get it approved by the regulatory body here hopefully. We just have to go through some approvals. 

• Like 1

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

6 minutes ago, DrTBarghouthi said:

Yes we are hoping to once we get it approved by the regulatory body here hopefully. We just have to go through some approvals. 

Good luck ! Be sure to keep the community updated! 

• Like 1