Does any one feels that keeping thick beard results in hair loss at scalp?

pradeepbr

I have seen many guys who have kept thick beard for 2 to 3 years have suddenly developed hair loss pattern and become norwood 1 or 2 bald. Indian cricketer Rohit Sharma had thick beard from last 2 years. I see him getting bald on mid crown region.  I see Virat kohli losing hair. So is there any correlation or we do not know yet.

Keeping a beard itself (versus shaving it) bears no significance on your scalp hair. For all intents and purposes, the body does not know nor care whether you shave your facial hair. However, there is a known correlation between excess facial and body hair and scalp DHT sensitivity, meaning that, on average, those with more and thicker body and facial hair are more likely to experience balding. Keep in mind that this is a generalization and not a rule of causation. At the end of the day, it's all about how sensitive your scalp is to DHT.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

There's also the fact that when some guys start balding they tend to start growing out their beard more.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Valued Contributor

@pradeepbr I have seen a video by Eugenix that mentions that grade 6/7 baldness usually means that a person 'generally' has a healthy beard for a hybrid hair transplant. I don't understand the genetic of this but maybe if you Google this subject you may find more.

• Like 1

• Administrators

There’s definitely a correlation with body hair and hair loss. Generally the more body hair (beard, chest, etc) the higher chance of hair loss. That’s because DHT is necessary for body and facial hair. I have a few friends that can’t grow any facial hair and have perfect hairlines. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators
18 hours ago, njeezy said:

@JohnAC71chicks dig beards bro 

They definitely do lol

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.